• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Beyond Winter Intermission

ski MRG

The 15z SREF mean is a good compromise between Euro and GFS in terms of upper pattern and temps. It has some elongation of the polar vortex, but more separation with the southern stream and a better confluence zone than the GFS. The SREF has the lead wave significantly better defined and further north by Sun night than the ECMWF.

I wouldn't run naked yet, but it's nice having that on our side. I've seen the ensembles waffle 96 hrs out. Perhaps some sort of compromise is in order between the Euro and GFS.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SREFs are a good compromise between Euro and GFS in terms of upper pattern and temps. They have some elongation of the polar vortex, but more separation with the southern stream and a better confluence zone than the GFS. The SREFs imply that the first wave is significantly better defined and further north than the ECMWF.

This ftw

Getting confused with all the threads but couple of salient points,

just did a snow temp profile with our high tech lab equipment. Top layer is 27 middle 26 and bottom 25, if you remember my post from the other day, snow becomes isothermal at 32 before it ripens and really melts fast, we are not there yet, big yet. Regarding NORAD we have seen lots of C-109 type planes, you can just see it here at the top of treetops.

4177f2fe-8f7b-b700.jpg

just did a snow temp profile with our high tech lab equipment. Top layer is 27 middle 26 and bottom 25, if you remember my post from the other day, snow becomes isothermal at 32 before it ripens and really melts fast, we are not there yet, big yet. Regarding NORAD we have seen lots of C-109 type planes, you can just see it here at the top of treetops.

4177f2fe-8f7b-b700.jpg

Yea, the dews are still low enough where the snowpack is not really torching.

Wow...this is really starting to get depressing and really beginning to look like our true winter ended on Feb 2nd, as that was the last accumlating snow here in SNE. Looks like we miss to the south on the storm monday and the there is a cutter late week and then we are in March and the light at the end of the tunnell gets brighter. I just wish that we could have held onto the epic patter for two more weeks and then let spring come full force...what we may be looking at is the worstcase scenario where it is warm through the rest of feb and then cold and dreary but not cold enough for snow all through march and into april...I have seen planty of years when it is in the upper 30's low 40's with clouds and rain especially near the coast with the ocean...just miserbale stuff.

Here's hoping that we get some more snow while it is cold enough because as epic as our run was...it was only from about Jan 12 to Feb 2nd and when history looks back a three week stretch of heavy snows will not be remembered as much is the last six weeks of winter fizzle out. There have been many years when Boston has recieved over 65 inches of snow...this will just be one of them

jp

Wow...this is really starting to get depressing and really beginning to look like our true winter ended on Feb 2nd, as that was the last accumlating snow here in SNE. Looks like we miss to the south on the storm monday and the there is a cutter late week and then we are in March and the light at the end of the tunnell gets brighter. I just wish that we could have held onto the epic patter for two more weeks and then let spring come full force...what we may be looking at is the worstcase scenario where it is warm through the rest of feb and then cold and dreary but not cold enough for snow all through march and into april...I have seen planty of years when it is in the upper 30's low 40's with clouds and rain especially near the coast with the ocean...just miserbale stuff.

Here's hoping that we get some more snow while it is cold enough because as epic as our run was...it was only from about Jan 12 to Feb 2nd and when history looks back a three week stretch of heavy snows will not be remembered as much is the last six weeks of winter fizzle out. There have been many years when Boston has recieved over 65 inches of snow...this will just be one of them

jp

:weenie:

jp

First: hotdog.gif

Seond: Boston is already over 65". guitar.gif

The 12z ETA is also a compromise between GFS and Euro - it has better confluence than the GFS but not the extreme digging of the polar vortex that the Euro shows. Has a nice swath of overrunning precip. as well with no sharp northern edge since the confluence isn't overwhelming.

Also note how the ETA is about 6 hours faster than the GFS and SREF mean with the precip. onset. The precip. usually rushes in a little faster than the guidance indicates in SW flow/overrunning events.

post-88-0-09648200-1297977581.gif

4177f2fe-8f7b-b700.jpg

Pretty extensive excercises being run...makes you think what do they know?

This was aggressive today.

:weenie: = reality

Calling winter over in mid Feb =pure ignorance; FACT not opinion.

Your post was very unintelligent....plain and simple.

So we happen to have one run of the EURO show a scrape in a pattern that has been defined as tedious by mets, incessantly....please purchase a clue and understand that one soloution at day 4 does not a forecast make.

There is not alot of blocking and every reason to believe that it will trend n, though it does not have to.

As for the day 10 warm up, mets in here have been saying that we may see another mild interlude before we see a potentially more favorable pattern in March....your post was excrement; that is why you were weenied.

Well all the ice off driveways have been gone here from Mondays torch. Let's see what overnight does.

Still have 50% ice/slush on my driveway despite Monday. It became a rink Tuesday...

I won't mind having a driveway again until the next snowfall...

And my gutters are doing their thing!

And finally, the ground over my septic tank is bare! A sure sign of spring here in the hinterlands

Calling winter over in mid Feb =pure ignorance; FACT not opinion.

Your post was very unintelligent....plain and simple.

So we happen to have one run of the EURO show a scrape in a pattern that has been defined as tedious by mets, incessantly....please purchase a clue and understand that one soloution at day 4 does not a forecast make.

There is not alot of blocking and every reason to believe that it will trend n, though it does not have to.

As for the day 10 warm up, mets in here have been saying that we may see another mild interlude before we see a potentially more favorable pattern in March....your post was excrement; that is why you were weenied.

March will be FILTHY Felgie

Still have 50% ice/slush on my driveway despite Monday. It became a rink Tuesday...

I won't mind having a driveway again until the next snowfall...

And my gutters are doing their thing!

And finally, the ground over my septic tank is bare! A sure sign of spring here in the hinterlands

Same thing here..one little round circle melted thru the snow where the tank is lol

Indeed...I have been paying very close attention to every model run, both long and medium range. There is amazing agreement between them that after we go near 60 today and into the 60's tomorrow...then we have seasonal temps with snow showers/rain showers over the weekend...it gets cold for Monday and Tuesday as a storm misses us to the south that gives Balt, DC, Philly and NYC 2-5 inches and then goes out to sea...after that we go back into a warming period for the rest of the week with a major strom riding up west of the apps giving the entire NE more warmth and rain...by then Feb is over and it will have been exactly one month since our last accumulating snow...what am I missing? You seem to know something I don't about this "snow and cold for the forseable future"

I think tomorrow is cooler..more clouds and onshore flow..offset though by higher dews

That's the real kicker... the dew point. Snow doesn't go anywhere fast if its 50/20F, but 50/40F is a whole different story.

We torched to 48F under full sun today but melting was at a minimum because the air was so dry.

Archived