• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Beyond Winter Intermission

ski MRG

Well I think Will hit the nail on the head with modeling chaos. The thoughts that we threw around about the euro being too suppressed definitely have merit. Euro looks like a few to several inches of snow, then dryslot and mix for sne. Maybe a little more at the NH border. The pattern is chaotic with the euro taking energy from the big trough in California and almost phasing it with the PV energy diving se from Canada.

This is the danger that I was mentioning about the pattern going forward, with a massive -PNA. It increases the risk for taints. Now, if the PV is just a little stronger, like on the 06z GFS, then it forces it south. Once again 50-100 miles is everything in this pattern. This is the 06z GFS with a more long duration overrunning.

IMO and I agree with these arguments from Will, Justin, and Baroclinic Instability..it's not a stable situation so models may show a huge jump from run to run.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still looks like the moderation period may happen later next week. The -NAO block weakens and trough digs over the west coast. That's a pretty good combo right there. However, it's not a complete certainty, but I think it's likely. Too early to determine temps, but if the low goes west...could be mild for sure. Again, the evolution is sort of in question so perhaps it's not quite mild at all. I don't see temps like we'll see today and tomorrow, anyways.

Long range looks kind of cold. The NPAC ridge is creating a wall on the west side of the PV, thus creating a -EPO, although not completely ideal. Models also have a ridge over Great Britain which seems to bulge slightly into Greenland. As a result, the PV is held in Canada and even bows se over Labrador, keeping it relatively cool to cold as of now. I'm still just not seeing a big return to the -NAO right now. Maybe all this solar stuff will disturb the PV, but the PV is strong, +QBO, as well as any SW being held at bay seem to argue against a strong return to the -NAO as of now. Maybe it comes back later in March..but I don't see it for the next 2-3 weeks. Besides, the pattern gets blocky naturally in March with shorter wavelengths and -NAO doesn't matter in March like it does in January. We will still have weak -NAO from time to time which is all you really need to keep the polar boundary south.

Thanks Scooter!

You and Will seem to be on the same page regarding a big block not coming back, he went as far to say winter maybe cooked south of TTN. Models have a warm look to them the end of next week for sure. I wonder if this event next week is tainted for all of sne, I think both you and Will pointed that out. I could be wrong but the cold signal that was showing up seems to be fading with time and I wonder if the south coast has seen its last moderate snowfall of the winter.

Thanks Scooter!

You and Will seem to be on the same page regarding a big block not coming back, he went as far to say winter maybe cooked south of TTN. Models have a warm look to them the end of next week for sure. I wonder if this event next week is tainted for all of sne, I think both you and Will pointed that out. I could be wrong but the cold signal that was showing up seems to be fading with time and I wonder if the south coast has seen its last moderate snowfall of the winter.

If euswx was still alive we could do a board analog. Has happened the last year or two where the pattern breaks and it takes weeks for most to get on board with what dt said weeks ago.

But anyway I like the up and down patterns which is exactly what we are getting. The nw move on the euro may well continue making winters return wet not white for many in sne.

If euswx was still alive we could do a board analog. Has happened the last year or two where the pattern breaks and it takes weeks for most to get on board with what dt said weeks ago.

But anyway I like the up and down patterns which is exactly what we are getting. The nw move on the euro may well continue making winters return wet not white for many in sne.

Its possible, Will certainly hinted at it in the nyc thread last night.

Thanks Scooter!

Well it looks cold in the 11-15 day for the northeast. Luckily, the Pacific is lending a hand to the pattern and trying to keep things on the colder side for SNE.

And just to clarify, when I mean no big -NAO...I'm talking about the blocking we had in Dec and early Jan. This isn't to say that we could have a brief period of weak to moderate blocking like we'll have early next week. That blocking is the reason why this storm on Monday isn't going through Toronto.

I joked last week that Steve will shoot me for saying that I didn't think we'll see a big return to blocking, and I still hold those thoughts. I wasn't trying to be bold or anything, but just going by some of the hints in the models. Usually, if big blocking is to show up, we will start seeing hints at the end of the 11-15 day of ridging building in Greenland. This is what happened when the -NAO temporarily weakened in December, and then came back with vengeance after New Years. Over the last week, models have shown solutions where some ridging tries to build, but then the ridging weakens and is replaces with lower heights. We just haven't seen models agree with ridge building over Greenland for many days now. That tells me we may not see blocking return...but I'm careful to use words like "may" here because you can't totally rule it out. Perhaps this past CME from the sun will disturb the PV. Who knows.

Also, I talked with Justin a couple of days ago about how I didn't buy the earlier wave coming in Sunday Night. Well, it looks like the euro was right in hinting at a wave coming through, so I was wrong with that. That's why we are careful to say words like "don't think" and "may" because it's irresponsible to sound concrete when discerning models in a pattern like this..lol.

I think the first wave may be the real deal for now. It's possible there may be two waves, but the second wave could be weak and way south....nothing of consequence here. I suppose it's possible the wave on Monday gets suppressed, but anytime you have a big trough out west, suppression doesn't come to mind, unless we have the perfect timing of the PV heading se from Hudson Bay and pushing this se. If the 12z runs continue with the first wave, I think we can start to lock that idea in....but the details will still need to be determined.

As far as ptype Monday, euro ensembles were colder, but we know how these systems go. There's a reason why some of us were happy with suppressed solutions..even if they were too suppressed, because the pattern brings them north....usually. GFS may have been right with the -pna pattern bring the low very close to sne...although perhaps not the right wave. Just a very complicated situation, but with it now being Thursday, the 12z runs should clarify things somewhat.

Well the good thing is at least we can pretty much rule out a rain event in SNE..Even if it's only a snow /taint event..with the weak -NAO that assures this won't cut north or west of us.

I have a feeling later next week isn;t nearly as mild as some are portraying. Maybe not cold.....but not the warmth of this week..Normals by then are near 40 anyway

Well the good thing is at least we can pretty much rule out a rain event in SNE..Even if it's only a snow /taint event..with the weak -NAO that assures this won't cut north or west of us.

I have a feeling later next week isn;t nearly as mild as some are portraying. Maybe not cold.....but not te warmth of this week..Normals by then are near 40 anyway

What are some saying?

Well it looks cold in the 11-15 day for the northeast. Luckily, the Pacific is lending a hand to the pattern and trying to keep things on the colder side for SNE.

And just to clarify, when I mean no big -NAO...I'm talking about the blocking we had in Dec and early Jan. This isn't to say that we could have a brief period of weak to moderate blocking like we'll have early next week. That blocking is the reason why this storm on Monday isn't going through Toronto.

I joked last week that Steve will shoot me for saying that I didn't think we'll see a big return to blocking, and I still hold those thoughts. I wasn't trying to be bold or anything, but just going by some of the hints in the models. Usually, if big blocking is to show up, we will start seeing hints at the end of the 11-15 day of ridging building in Greenland. This is what happened when the -NAO temporarily weakened in December, and then came back with vengeance after New Years. Over the last week, models have shown solutions where some ridging tries to build, but then the ridging weakens and is replaces with lower heights. We just haven't seen models agree with ridge building over Greenland for many days now. That tells me we may not see blocking return...but I'm careful to use words like "may" here because you can't totally rule it out. Perhaps this past CME from the sun will disturb the PV. Who knows.

Also, I talked with Justin a couple of days ago about how I didn't buy the earlier wave coming in Sunday Night. Well, it looks like the euro was right in hinting at a wave coming through, so I was wrong with that. That's why we are careful to say words like "don't think" and "may" because it's irresponsible to sound concrete when discerning models in a pattern like this..lol.

I think the first wave may be the real deal for now. It's possible there may be two waves, but the second wave could be weak and way south....nothing of consequence here. I suppose it's possible the wave on Monday gets suppressed, but anytime you have a big trough out west, suppression doesn't come to mind, unless we have the perfect timing of the PV heading se from Hudson Bay and pushing this se. If the 12z runs continue with the first wave, I think we can start to lock that idea in....but the details will still need to be determined.

yep. well said.

What are some saying?

I've just seen some posts saying 50's and stuff like that for late next week. Hopefully it's just 1-2 days of 40ish stuff before it goes below normal.

I think the problem is that people expect cold to mean highs in the teens and 20's..and once you're into March that is damn near impossible unless there's precip falling.

Cold enough to snow and temps in the low 30's should be what folks are expecting as we head late month and into March

I've just seen some posts saying 50's and stuff like that for late next week. Hopefully it's just 1-2 days of 40ish stuff before it goes below normal.

I think the problem is that people expect cold to mean highs in the teens and 20's..and once you're into March that is damn near impossible unless there's precip falling.

Cold enough to snow and temps in the low 30's should be what folks are expecting as we head late month and into March

I wouldn't rule out 50 or low 50s, but as of now, I wouldn't forecast it anyways.

The thing that is really complicated, is that the weak low coming through on Monday is getting a boost from the s/w ejecting out of the southwest trough, and also from a spoke of energy coming from the PV in Canada. It's that tug from the energy coming from the PV in Canada that is forcing this a little north, at least imo.

As far as ptype Monday, euro ensembles were colder, but we know how these systems go. There's a reason why some of us were happy with suppressed solutions..even if they were too suppressed, because the pattern brings them north....usually. GFS may have been right with the -pna pattern bring the low very close to sne...although perhaps not the right wave. Just a very complicated situation, but with it now being Thursday, the 12z runs should clarify things somewhat.

Maybe the NAM can give us a clue as to how things are headed for wave 1. It obviously isn't so great past 48, but where it is at 48 might give a hint.

What's the story on the euro text or early graphic product that's out around 1240? Ie ten or twenty minutes earlier than most other services? Is it being fed from overseas or is there a source that just processes the maps faster?

Euro doesn't start running until 12:45pm as far as I know. What's this??

Just to illustrate how much volatility there is, look how the 12z NAM shifted the trough near AK west almost 500 miles and amplified it considerably vs. the 0z run - and this is only 48 hours out!

That amplification and westward shift is critical because it helps keep the polar vortex further west as well, and allows it to interact more with the southern stream later in the run.

anim_718e0cab-c309-ce04-d98a-d8021d7240be.gif

Archived