• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February Torch Banter and Discussion

CT Rain

There's a lot of bare spots around here....mostly on the sidewalks and in the middle of roads where people plowed and shoveled the snow.

I'm trying to make some bare spots on my driveway. With the warmth melting it, the ice is super slick.

Meanhwile, the sun's breaking thorugh the clouds, though still more clouds than sun. Temp has spike up to 34.0/13. Looks like that 39 forecast high is well within reach.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remember that when yourself and Pete are drizzling in March and Apr, elevated SNH rocking 32 paste snow. Latitude sucks this winter, though.

Bedford NH at less than 500 feet almost certainly averages less snow in April than near 1000 feet in the ORH hills.

There are plenty of bare spots along Route 3 all the way from Mass into NH. Look in the southbound side after Bedford tolls, completely bare.

Also, I93 is NW- SE facing (as you know) and the sun angle probably doesn't quite hit the same as other highways or main roads between the main heating hours (10-2)

I-293 in the merrimack valley in Manchester as you hit Bedford, lots of bare ground along the sides.

Yes, it's mostly the main roads and also highways showing bare, but it does exist. Anyone denying that either (1) doesn't live here/has not been up this way, or (2) is trolling.

As for the other comments, typical weenies just filling up their post counts. Thankfully most of us are out working, living and enjoying the wx and not oogling over D7-10 models showing a SWFE lol

lol. Obvious troll.

On an average season those areas of the highway probably have snowpack for less then a week on average and melt off a 1' snow storm in a few days sometimes. The fact that areas on the side of main roads had snow pack at low elevation like that for over a month is incredible!

Bedford NH at less than 500 feet almost certainly averages less snow in April than near 1000 feet in the ORH hills.

I said elevated SNH though. Parts of Bedford are near 900' a couple miles away.

4 miles from me is over 1300' in neighboring Goffstown and well over 1k in New Boston, Joe English hill etc.

My point was, other than busting balls, this winter was pretty average up here w/ latitude. Good, nearly great...and certainly nowhere close to epic.

4 miles from me is over 1300' in neighboring Goffstown and well over 1k in New Boston, Joe English hill etc.

My point was, other than busting balls, this winter was pretty average up here w/ latitude. Good, nearly great...and certainly nowhere close to epic.

What is your total? You are probably well above average like I am. Not as good as here, but you are still having a solid winter. I wouldn't call this winter epic here either until I have a great finish. There is about 6 weeks left of realistic snow opportunities. Maybe 7. We'll see where it finishes.

What is your total? You are probably well above average like I am. Not as good as here, but you are still having a solid winter. I wouldn't call this winter epic here either until I have a great finish. There is about 6 weeks left of realistic snow opportunities. Maybe 7. We'll see where it finishes.

68.4" which is good, but hardly any QPF...dusty snows. Your snowpack is like 2x here. I'd just assume it melted here so I can drive south into the deep pack :thumbsup:

Agree with you, I meant in the usual torch/sun drenched areas. It's a little shocking to see bare ground though given how spoiled we have been , for me anyway. We mostly have a good 15"+ base overall (for now)

Gotcha. we have concurrence

that I can agree with. not yet epic. as of today, this year and last year are real close in snowfall totals. we all know how last year turned out.

Snow pack shots from 3pm today, we'll see how it looks in 48h...averaged 26" over 4 measurements facing each direction with a high of 31" and a low of 21":

feb16orh1.jpg

feb16orh2.jpg

feb16orh3.jpg

feb16orh4.jpg

feb16orh5.jpg

You and I have just about the exact same amount of snow and it looks just like that with the ice on top. And you really think we'll come out of this with 15-18 still OTG?

The nights not falling below 32 will hurt most I think

You and I have just about the exact same amount of snow and it looks just like that with the ice on top. And you really think we'll come out of this with 15-18 still OTG?

The nights not falling below 32 will hurt most I think

Only one night will fail to drop below 32F and that is tomorrow night....well even if tonight somehow fails to, it won't matter because the dewpoints are in the single digits and teens...a 35F temp with a 7F dewpoint will have zero melting...esp at night. You actually will probably freeze the top layer of snow on a temp profile like that because the extremely low dewpoint causes the layer just an inch above the snow or so to cool below freezing due to evap cooling. Even a 35/23 type deal would do the same.

The ugly period will be tomorrow afternoon through friday afternoon. We'll have to see how high the dewpoints get on Friday afternoon. We'll have a brief spike in them, and how long it lasts will determine how much damage is done.

So glad my yard isn't buried in eternal snow like that. Pretty pictures but talk about cabin fever.

I'm the exact opposite. I have zero use for brown grass, mud, and leftover twigs/leave from the fall showing as opposed to snow cover. Some people like the snow cover and others don't. Guess its just personal preference.

Only one night will fail to drop below 32F and that is tomorrow night....well even if tonight somehow fails to, it won't matter because the dewpoints are in the single digits and teens...a 35F temp with a 7F dewpoint will have zero melting...esp at night. You actually will probably freeze the top layer of snow on a temp profile like that because the extremely low dewpoint causes the layer just an inch above the snow or so to cool below freezing due to evap cooling. Even a 35/23 type deal would do the same.

The ugly period will be tomorrow afternoon through friday afternoon. We'll have to see how high the dewpoints get on Friday afternoon. We'll have a brief spike in them, and how long it lasts will determine how much damage is done.

Front comes thru around midnight Fri nite?

Archived