Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Torch Banter and Discussion

CT Rain

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only northern iowa and its a minor. I dont think I want anything to do with the payrolls of meteorlogists nowadays anyways. I think communications is going to by major. 4 YRS of college football then a sports writer would be great by me.

Go wherever you can go for free and don't look back. You'll thank yourself in 20 years when you aren't paying $500 a month for college loans for 10-20 years :)

Plus frees you up for post graduate degrees

Thing is the ground is solid like a hockey puck even here. going to take days for it to thaw even the top couple of inches.

Messenger, do you have any snow left? I'd say mine is 90% gone...and it's limited to shaded areas...and all the driveway and roadside snowbanks are limited to shaded areas. The past two weeks following the icing event has been the ugliest snowcover I've ever seen down here.

Go wherever you can go for free and don't look back. You'll thank yourself in 20 years when you aren't paying $500 a month for college loans for 10-20 years :)

Plus frees you up for post graduate degrees

Great advice!! SBos, if there's an opportunity for a free-ride...by all means consider it...and if you don't want to go there...use this free-ride as a negotiating tool to reduce the bill at the school of your choice.......If sports journalism is your choice....choose a minor carefully....because it could end up being the field you ultimately earn your living in.......The journalism industry has been hemorraghing jobs for a long time and everyone's taking pay cuts from the top of the food chain to the very bottom. Problem is no one's making any money off the internet. The internet has killed a lot of journalism careers...and this includes all sectors of journalism.....I don't want to discourage you...because if you're good you have the opportunity to be unstoppable. Just keep in mind it's harder to have a successful career as a lucrative sports writer today than when it was when guys like Bob Ryan, Mike Lupica and Peter Gammons broke in.

Messenger, do you have any snow left? I'd say mine is 90% gone...and it's limited to shaded areas...and all the driveway and roadside snowbanks are limited to shaded areas. The past two weeks following the icing event has been the ugliest snowcover I've ever seen down here.

My mom over in Jamestown reports the same. Almost no snow. Not that she checks much,

It's going to be a great torch...already bare spots showing up all over N MA and SNH. Hopefully someone in CT hits 65 or 70.

I thought the high res visible imagery was interesting today. Shows the cakehole over WMA into a part of NCT...snow but not as much and a clear shadow.

Also shows that just to my west a few miles there's still snow.

I'd love to have it hit 60-70 but I don't see it happening...widespread temps around 50-55 sure...maybe someone touches 60 for a time.

:huh:

and for CT on torch day:

A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. Chance of

precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch

possible.

troll :lol:

I said hopefully, not that it is going to occur.

The point-and-click has temps above freezing from early Thursday AM through Saturday nite in CT.

I thought the high res visible imagery was interesting today. Shows the cakehole over WMA into a part of NCT...snow but not as much and a clear shadow.

Also shows that just to my west a few miles there's still snow.

I'd love to have it hit 60-70 but I don't see it happening...widespread temps around 50-55 sure...maybe someone touches 60 for a time.

The best call is probably low to mid 50s for now, agree. Hopefully it trends up.

As has been said, the torch is basically 48 hours here. 48 hours to survive the torch. I expect to lose 6-10" in that time and still have a 12+" snow pack with very few if any grassy patches. 23" now.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 48. West wind between 7 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: A chance of showers, mainly after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday Night: A chance of showers before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

I'm going to take some winter hill pics tomorrow...for before and after torch pics...well it will kind of be a tad late I guess since tomorrow is going to already be day 1 even if its kind of weak. But tomorrow won't lose much.

Think I break 50F again? BOX thinks 48, but they have been cold as of late.

Take some OTG measurements, too. 21-24" OTG here (mostly low end of that). Hope to retain 16", expecting 12-14", but whatever. Not too bad looking for a late Feb torch

Think I break 50F again? BOX thinks 48, but they have been cold as of late.

Take some OTG measurements, too. 21-24" OTG here (mostly low end of that). Hope to retain 16", expecting 12-14", but whatever. Not too bad looking for a late Feb torch

I'm thinking winter hill will probably have about 27" when I measure tomorrow afternoon, though perhaps as low as 25". I expect it will go down to about 15-18" though we might get an uneven melt as is often the case in late season. In earlyJanuary torches like new years, the side of the street makes less difference than in late Feb or Mar where it can be a huge difference. I'll do an average of 4 measurements...one facing each direction.

I think we'll both hit 50F pretty easily on Friday. But hopefully it doesn't happen.

I'm thinking winter hill will probably have about 27" when I measure tomorrow afternoon, though perhaps as low as 25". I expect it will go down to about 15-18" though we might get an uneven melt as is often the case in late season. In earlyJanuary torches like new years, the side of the street makes less difference than in late Feb or Mar where it can be a huge difference. I'll do an average of 4 measurements...one facing each direction.

I think we'll both hit 50F pretty easily on Friday. But hopefully it doesn't happen.

Hopefully some of Scooter's sneaky cold and clouds will hang on. The high dews will stink, but at least it is short. I can get a good start on the dog poopsicles on Saturday.

This looks like the last real cold snap of the year, to go along with the upcoming mouth-watering torch. weenies clinging onto every possible last sliver of hope as the winter passes them bye.

snowpack is fairly meh here; seems to be 15-20". Of course, I could measure in the deepest and least sunny areas of my yard but that type of posteuring is not really representative of what is really left.

I'm fully expecting 5-10" snowpack with plenty more bare spots to be seen, once the torch does it's glory.

Archived