joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 3-6 Observations

Rankin5150

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been watching the RUC last few hours and each run gets a little colder. It also has a weak high of 1028 develop in 12 hours over N. GA area, and the main 1028 high is over eastern VA, both it and NAM (18z) have this high somewhere around e TN, nGA wNC area...not sure what it is other than meso effects of cooling, and consequently the 850s are very borderline maybe supporting snow, and certainly will the sleet. The dry air made it furthern into SC and NC today than forecast, and damming is slightly evident. Also the 925 layer is colder than I thought it would be in NC. So far, the moisture continues to vanish as it comes into the lower NC foothills and western Piedmont...but eventually some sleet and maybe areas of snow if its heavy enough, could make for an interesting night.

post-38-0-85692700-1296769640.gif

Here we go folks in GA.... RUC has an isothermal sounding in the Chattahoochee National Forest up until around 6pm... where significant snow/sleet will be possible until then. Folks from Rome, GA all the way to Toccoa, GA will likely get in on some light to moderate snowfall. Accumulations won't be that significant because of the warm surface temperatures, but a dusting up to a half of an inch could be possible.

ngdnd4.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Will need to pay more attention in the short term to this...

I've been watching the RUC last few hours and each run gets a little colder. It also has a weak high of 1028 develop in 12 hours over N. GA area, and the main 1028 high is over eastern VA, both it and NAM (18z) have this high somewhere around e TN, nGA wNC area...not sure what it is other than meso effects of cooling, and consequently the 850s are very borderline maybe supporting snow, and certainly will the sleet. The dry air made it furthern into SC and NC today than forecast, and damming is slightly evident. Also the 925 layer is colder than I thought it would be in NC. So far, the moisture continues to vanish as it comes into the lower NC foothills and western Piedmont...but eventually some sleet and maybe areas of snow if its heavy enough, could make for an interesting night.

post-38-0-85692700-1296769640.gif

Here we go folks in GA.... RUC has an isothermal sounding in the Chattahoochee National Forest up until around 6pm... where significant snow/sleet will be possible until then. Folks from Rome, GA all the way to Toccoa, GA will likely get in on some light to moderate snowfall. Accumulations won't be that significant because of the warm surface temperatures, but a dusting up to a half of an inch could be possible.

Thanks Phil. I've only been in here sporadically today, and I don't know who called for what but I think I saw you warning this could happen. Good call.

Its about 60/40 sleet and snow here at the house with good sized flakes. Im down to 32.9 but the snow is starting to lay in certain spots. Where 75 crests a hill at wade green road it was all snow with 1/2 mile visibilities for a little while. Good call Lookout.

Its about 60/40 sleet and snow here at the house with good sized flakes. Im down to 32.9 but the snow is starting to lay in certain spots. Where 75 crests a hill at wade green road it was all snow with 1/2 mile visibilities for a little while. Good call Lookout.

Wow, just flipped to mostly/all snow here...almost moderate I'd say. Temp sensor isn't working, I probably would rather not know anyway...

Thanks, nice to know some are getting it. Although the only thing I have gotten today has been a little sleet. Precip just dries up or splits around me..the old lookout screwzone in full effect today lol

Folks in N Georgia... you guys might be in the beginning stages of a surprising snow/sleet event for the next 1-3 hours. Despite the NWS not having any sort of advisories out, the RUC looks like it has a near isothermal sounding for the next 2-3 hours. Accumulations will be entirely dependent of the precipitation rate, since surface temperatures will remain largely above freezing. However, a dusting to a half inch of snow/sleet might not be out of the question, especially the higher elevations.

I don't really consider it a surprise, at least to those on this board, because it's been talked about quite a bit on here for a while. :whistle:

FWIW, you guys following the ruc, i would urge caution. The ruc has sucked monkey balls with respect to temps..not only at the surface but aloft as well. If you believed the ruc this morning, all the sleet/snow in georgia should never have happened today. I've been following it ever since early this morning and it's been awful.

The ruc has sucked monkey balls with respect to temps..not only at the surface but aloft as well. If you believed the ruc this morning, all the sleet/snow in georgia should never have happened today. I've been following it ever since early this morning and it's been awful.

To me, the RUC tends to be on the warm side more times than not.

Archived