joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 3-6 Observations

Rankin5150

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twice a week....the other days I work from home.;)

whew, thats not so bad then. that is not a short drive, to say the least.

ironic that the frozen precip is south of our back yards lol. looking at the soundings briefly still looks close for parts of n ga, but just not sure the temps/dewpoint will cooperate to keep us just under 32 instead of above

Not sure if it means anything for our area but last night it got to 27 degrees.Today the forecast was for 45 .Now at 1:04 pm its only 35 outside.Not sure it will make it to 45 today but it is interesting none the less.Would still love to see some big time snow before all is said and done.

Went out in the woods to do some work and enjoy me some sleet. Needless to say, it went to rain as soon as I got set up.

Never works as well when the sun is up. Interesting interlude, but like the forecast said....34 and rain, blahhh. On to next week.

Maybe some of you up stream can hold the column colder, longer. T

Went out in the woods to do some work and enjoy me some sleet. Needless to say, it went to rain as soon as I got set up.

Never works as well when the sun is up. Interesting interlude, but like the forecast said....34 and rain, blahhh. On to next week.

Maybe some of you up stream can hold the column colder, longer. T

It wasn't expected to last that long anyway as the sleet was pretty much just due to the moistening of a dry column of air and once you get it moistened up then all the evaporational cooling from the dry air is used up. Now maybe you will eeek down to 32 and get some freezing rain.

It wasn't expected to last that long anyway as the sleet was pretty much just due to the moistening of a dry column of air and once you get it moistened up then all the evaporational cooling from the dry air is used up. Now maybe you will eeek down to 32 and get some freezing rain.

From Experiment Station a few miles to my southeast. So there is a tiny bit of wiggle room. I can do without zrain though. Nice to have 4 or 5 hours of off and on sleet overnight and today, when I was expecting the usual 10 minutes ahead of the rain. T

Temperature 33.3 °FRelative Humidity 81.5 %Dew Point Temperature 28.3 °FWet Bulb Temperature 31.5 °F

Finally started getting some sleet here about 5 minutes ago. Been watching the radar returns to my SW as I worked in my office all morning. I wondered if it would actually make it up to me. There were some problems on roads and bridges down around LaGrange where I-85 and I-185 come together. There were also some ice reports in the Auburn/Opelika AL. area this morning.

Ok... we're now under a Flash Flood Watch, a Special Weather Statement, and a Hydrological Outlook thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

add in a winter storm warning or winter advisory and we will be golden :scooter: glad to hear of sleet near atlanta, not too happy to hear that it quickly turned to rain :axe:

I just went under a freezing rain advisory for this evening through tomorrow evening. This includes the mountains of NC and the western piedmont and foothills counties of NC. Here's the disco:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

322 PM EST THU FEB 3 2011

...DEVELOPING STORM SYSTEM TO BRING ICE TO PORTIONS OF THE WESTERN

CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GEORGIA...

.PRECIPITATION WILL GRADUALLY OVERSPREAD THE AREA TONIGHT...LIKELY

STARTING OUT AS A SLEET AND RAIN MIX. TEMPERATURES WILL COOL

QUICKLY ONCE THE PRECIP BEGINS TO FALL AND ARE EXPECTED TO FALL TO

OR BELOW FREEZING IN SOME AREAS...ESPECIALLY ACROSS PORTIONS OF

THE MOUNTAINS...AND THE NORTHERN FOOTHILLS AND NORTHWEST PIEDMONT

OF NORTH CAROLINA. THIS WILL ALLOW FREEZING RAIN TO DEVELOP...WITH

SOME SLEET POSSIBLY MIXING IN AT TIMES. LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF

ICE ARE EXPECTED IN THESE AREAS FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH

TOMORROW.

GAZ010-NCZ033-035>037-048>050-052-053-056-057-059-062>065-501>507-

509-040400-

/O.NEW.KGSP.ZR.Y.0002.110204T0800Z-110204T2300Z/

RABUN-AVERY-ALEXANDER-IREDELL-DAVIE-MADISON-YANCEY-MITCHELL-

HAYWOOD-BUNCOMBE-CATAWBA-ROWAN-NORTHERN JACKSON-MACON-

SOUTHERN JACKSON-TRANSYLVANIA-HENDERSON-CALDWELL MOUNTAINS-

GREATER CALDWELL-BURKE MOUNTAINS-GREATER BURKE-MCDOWELL MOUNTAINS-

EASTERN MCDOWELL-RUTHERFORD MOUNTAINS-POLK MOUNTAINS-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CLAYTON...NEWLAND...STATESVILLE...

MOCKSVILLE...SPRUCE PINE...WAYNESVILLE...ASHEVILLE...HICKORY...

SALISBURY...SYLVA...FRANKLIN...BREVARD...HENDERSONVILLE...

LENOIR...MORGANTON...MARION...LAKE LURE

322 PM EST THU FEB 3 2011

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST

FRIDAY...

Archived