• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

Woke up and watched the weather on several local channels this morning. Oddly, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton stations did not mention a significant ice event and even mentioned probably changing over to plain rain in the afternoon Wed, while Philly stations reported more on the ice threat. :arrowhead:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It barely reaches TTN on this run. Now I'm starting to get really nervous for the people back home...

People will be caught off guard if it gets as bad as some of us think. Local news is just mentioning "1-3 snow to mix/ice to maybe rain back to snow".

Fwiw, the PV and HP are really overachieving already. Fairly large temp gradient also. Left home in Warminster PA and temp was 12F...got to work in Wayne/Devon, PA and we're at 21F here. The valleys North of the PA Turnpike are holding dense cold air like molasses this morning. Going to be tough to scour that out of here.

Starting to become very concerned about Tuesday and early wednesday now. Going to hunker down tonight but not before getting candle, batteries, and lots of non-perishables.

It barely reaches TTN on this run. Now I'm starting to get really nervous for the people back home...

when you get nervous, you make me nervous

My sentiments, exactly. Ray - do you think there will be any freezing rain before Tuesday evening? We have an event at work all day Tuesday (Kenilworth, Union County) and I'd like to be able to at least say the worst we'll see is light to moderate snow/sleet, as per the NWS (2-4" forecast), but not ZR until later. 2-4" of snow can be dealt with, especially since it won't be prolonged heavy snow, meaning at least the main highways will probably be in decent shape (not perfect, but hopefully not a mess); ZR would be another story.

I won't lie...you kind of scared me. :(

Not trying to scare anyone. Just plan a bit. You need a heat source, food source, water, candles and several days supply as driving out of an area might be impossible post storm....48hrs+.

Here are two quick pics from the storm in 2005. I forgot it was that long ago....feels like a few years. lol

This first one gives you an idea of the topped trees yet to fall.....along with what has come down. Note this is after some clean up. You can see the ice on the ground.....next pic will show that better...

post-520-0-03723600-1296477486.jpg

Here is the walking on ice cubes picture.......this is on top of the accumulation from the event....came from the winds arriving and everything in the trees breaking up. This was about 4 days after the storm......still no power when I arrived..as mentioned earlier.

post-520-0-99800200-1296477597.jpg

Low just a couple miles away here was only 15.0....those lower spots really radiated last night

6.8 degrees in NW Chester County this morning with 16 inches of snow on the ground. Got a feeling it's going to be tough to get above freezing

before late Wednesday around here. Gas for the generator -- check.

Latest Wxsim program with 6z data for NW Chesco (current snow depth at19.0")

Light snow by 1030pm temp 24.7

Mod snow by 5am temp 24.4

Snow to mix of IP/ZR by 2pm - total snow 3 or 4"

ZR gets steady by 130am Wed morning....between then and 830am over 0.50" of liquid falls with the temp around 30 degrees

Temps rise above freezing by 830am

NWS has my area on the point and click at 2 to 5" of snow before the ice

Paul

Latest Wxsim program with 6z data for NW Chesco (current snow depth at19.0")

Light snow by 1030pm temp 24.7

Mod snow by 5am temp 24.4

Snow to mix of IP/ZR by 2pm - total snow 3 or 4"

ZR gets steady by 130am Wed morning....between then and 830am over 0.50" of liquid falls with the temp around 30 degrees

Temps rise above freezing by 830am

NWS has my area on the point and click at 2 to 5" of snow before the ice

Paul

thanks paul.

let's hope the bold happens.

Temps this morning make me nervous even in Delco. The temps were anywhere from 14 to 10 degrees on my short 15 minute commute to work from near Brookhaven to Media when the NWS was showing 24 at PHL airport.

The models have so much trouble handling this much cold air and I think we'll see this cold trend continue as the players are on the field for better sampling. I think anywhere N and W of the city is game for a major ice storm --- perhaps worse than what is currently depicted given these cold, cold temperatures. Oh boy.

post-520-0-92603700-1296479732.jpg If the forecast for .75+ inches of ice holds for the lake Harmony area...Aharts is going to be one heck of a busy place today.

Currently 10 degrees on what appears to be a beautiful morning...looking out over boulder lake....past Towamensing Trails lake, Past Penns Peak and all the way to the Blues back by the Lehigh Tunnel near Jim Thorpe PA. On a clear morning....20+ visibility easy. I need to refresh the web cam there....been about 5 years and it is shot....time to go HD!!

My sentiments, exactly. Ray - do you think there will be any freezing rain before Tuesday evening? We have an event at work all day Tuesday (Kenilworth, Union County) and I'd like to be able to at least say the worst we'll see is light to moderate snow/sleet, as per the NWS (2-4" forecast), but not ZR until later. 2-4" of snow can be dealt with, especially since it won't be prolonged heavy snow, meaning at least the main highways will probably be in decent shape (not perfect, but hopefully not a mess); ZR would be another story.

The NAM seemed to be sending the warm air aloft pretty fast, so yeah I'm worried that it goes to freezing rain pretty quickly.

Temps this morning make me nervous even in Delco. The temps were anywhere from 14 to 10 degrees on my short 15 minute commute to work from near Brookhaven to Media when the NWS was showing 24 at PHL airport.

The models have so much trouble handling this much cold air and I think we'll see this cold trend continue as the players are on the field for better sampling. I think anywhere N and W of the city is game for a major ice storm --- perhaps worse than what is currently depicted given these cold, cold temperatures. Oh boy.

Agreed. The last storm that was supposed to turn over to rain a few weeks ago here never turned over at all. And we stayed below freezing the entire event. Can easily see that happening again.

it has trended a little later each time....we shall see. Fortunately I have an automatic propane generator that kicks in about 10 secs after we lose power...which happens pretty often in my very rural neck of the woods. I also kind of think if temps are above 30 and during daylight it may not be that bad especially on treated surfaces.

Stay safe

Paul

thanks paul.

let's hope the bold happens.

Archived