CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 7 degrees this morning in Spring Mount. It will be interesting to see when we get to 32+ degrees on Wednesday. My guess regarding upper Montgomery County in PA...

-Light snow after midnight tonight through early afternoon Tuesday with about 2 to 3 inches accumulation

-Light snow changes to light sleet by 2 PM Tuesday and then to light freezing rain by 7 PM...only a coating or so of sleet

-Light/spotty freezing rain Tuesday night becomes heavier by 3 AM Wednesday

-Freezing rain Wednesday morning changes to plain rain by 9 or 10 AM

My guess is surface temps get close to 32 on Tuesday afternoon, but then drop back to the upper 20's during the "lull" on Tuesday evening and are slow to rise until after daybreak on Wednesday. Tuesday morning and evening rush hours shouldn't be too bad, but the Wednesday morning commute could be real bad. Best thing would be to wait until later in the morning Wednesday to travel, when temps go above freezing. We probably don't break 40 degrees on Wednesday afternoon (I'll say a high temp of 37).

well below 32f at suface for abe at hr42 with heavier precip coming in

Yip--this looks like it could be a fairly extreme solution for ice. I note too though that 850's are bit colder than the 0z run as well, possibly due to slower onset. (Still tenuously holding out for the possibility of more snow, but as modeled, not gonna happen.)

Archived