joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

out to hr 51 the frz line may be a little further south, even though the temps may be a little warmer the CAD signature is more pronounced this run.

True. It almost is like the second part of the system sped up, tilting the trough negative faster than 18z which made the first overrunning precip. shift north. Because it's faster, 850's surge above freezing but at the surface, there's still that persistent CAD signature.

Models will play catch up with surface temps the whole time with this artic high pressing south. Mt Holly knows the ZR is the big issue here. Watches most certainly are warranted.

I'd go with ice storm watches though, not winter storm watches. The public needs to know EXACTLY what this is. I heard someone tell me today that New York was getting 24" on Wednesday. God, I didn't even attempt to talk him out of it.

I'd go with ice storm watches though, not winter storm watches. The public needs to know EXACTLY what this is. I heard someone tell me today that New York was getting 24" on Wednesday. God, I didn't even attempt to talk him out of it.

Is there such a thing? I thought it was WS Watch/Warning then IS Warning.

I won't lie...you kind of scared me. :(

I will second what SP says. My wife and I lived it and were without power for 6 days. One other thing to remember is to have plenty of rock salt on hand. You never know when you will need to used it. Also, a chainsaw with plenty of gas. I used ours on the 4th day to help ccut our way out of the development.

D

I will second what SP says. My wife and I lived it and were without power for 6 days. One other thing to remember is to have plenty of rock salt on hand. You never know when you will need to used it. Also, a chainsaw with plenty of gas. I used ours on the 4th day to help ccut our way out of the development.

D

Well I'm on a college campus (PSU Hazleton; ~1,600') so not quite the same situation. They'll have rock salt on hand.

Wonder what they will wind up doing if the campus loses power.

After examining the soundings in 3 hour increments for here in New Brunswick, we never really get close to above freezing at the surface on this latest run of the NAM, and we were supposed to be in the battleground area for where the freezing line would set up. I don't have BUFKIT on this computer I am using but this sure looks nasty... hours and hours of freezing rain. A rough estimate from when we go above freezing aloft shows 0.25-0.50" of ice but BUFKIT would be much more helpful in assessing that.

After examining the soundings in 3 hour increments for here in New Brunswick, we never really get close to above freezing at the surface on this latest run of the NAM, and we were supposed to be in the battleground area for where the freezing line would set up. I don't have BUFKIT on this computer I am using but this sure looks nasty... hours and hours of freezing rain. A rough estimate from when we go above freezing aloft shows 0.25-0.50" of ice but BUFKIT would be much more helpful in assessing that.

Wonderful news.!:scooter:

Temps rise above freezing AFTER precip exits for N&W. Lovely.

That's normal for us though. CAD rarely leaves early around the LV. Most storms are below freezing until at least 90% of the precip is gone. Many times it never gets above until as you say, after the storm. This time, it may not even do that except for an hour or two as the winds shift.

Archived