• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

As I noted earlier, GFS is probably too warm at the surface and underdoing CAD as usual. Unless I'm not seeing something out of the ordinary here.

GFS looks fine to me based on the track. GFS tracks the surface low right through OH and then redevelops in PA. NAM redevelops the low just to the SE of the area and off the coast. That's your difference.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS looks fine to me based on the track. GFS tracks the surface low right through OH and then redevelops in PA. NAM redevelops the low just to the SE of the area and off the coast. That's your difference.

Yeah, looking again GFS is a bit further north with the low. Still think there would be a bit more CAD though.

also, look at the tracks both models take. The gfs is way more robust with it than the nam. It actually gets captured and slows everything down. While the nam just moves right along.

I'm expecting things to change again with the 6z models...for the worse or the better. Seems as though the models are still not in good agreement on alot of small scale factors leading to significant yet small differences.

i wouldn't be surprised if the 6z nam comes in a lot colder. It seems like, as i noted after the 18z run, thats the off hr runs are a lot colder than the 0z and 12z runs.

AR does have a point though that the GFS will under do CAD, compared to the NAM, while yes they are showing different evolution for storm track, intesnsity and speed. The GFS still has the lower res and will not show CAD to the effect that it will bear in reality. You have a 1050 high coming behind this system and while it is displaced to the west, a high that strong will bleed over the top and CAD will take place and it is always undersestimated by models, my bet is WAA is underdone and CAD is underdone. That layer of warmth will be larger than shown and a lot of people hoping to be saved by having sleet vs freezing rain will see more of the latter than the former.

the way i look at it, i know im going to rain down here. As long as its a cold rain and i have some snow pack left i will be happy. Then hopefully next weekend's storm can materialize to rejuvenate it some more.

We'll probably go to rain at some point Wed., but when is the question. And how much ice has accumulated, especially in the suburbs.

the way i look at it, i know im going to rain down here. As long as its a cold rain and i have some snow pack left i will be happy. Then hopefully next weekend's storm can materialize to rejuvenate it some more.

Even with the cold rain we go back to a deep freeze fast. The snow pack will be like concrete and this may ironically aid in preserving it longer.

on the one hand I don't like rain, on the other I don't feel like shoveling if it were to be snow...i was hoping for a wound up MI track with no redevelopment that way we get some overrunning mix and then cold front rain with precip totals half of what they are now...oh well what can you do

agreed tom, it kind of sucks to have a storm mode and know we arent going to be part of it, but we had a good one last week! i say this storm is 90 percent rain for our respective locations.

agreed tom, it kind of sucks to have a storm mode and know we arent going to be part of it, but we had a good one last week! i say this storm is 90 percent rain for our respective locations.

We have to be careful about that.. if the NAM is right there could be problems. I don't want people caught off guard again.

I wouldnt say 90% of the time. Maybe 90% of the qpf.. if the nam is even close to verifying, .3" of ice is pretty significant and can impact the population greatly.

Archived