12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Nam would keep it mainly snow and sleet here in Hazleton.. Based on what I can see on my phone.. Any opinions?

it looks close, and even as it gets marginal the precip rates increase. Your are nearing the 2" qpf mark. Trends are certainly good. The 850' critical line moved south about 20 miles from 0z. (still a long way to go here though.) Also, the initial slug of snow looks more impressive, especially for you and areas to your north. (3-6"+?)

you can see a trend here, 6z and 18z runs are colder but every 0z and 12z run are colder then the previous. If its really true that the cad holds on longer than usual, things could get bad

I think temp observations this AM say it all. The models (esp. the NAM now) are seeing it as we get closer. That cold air won't go easily and this could be a prolific ice storm anywhere JUST N and W of Philly. Simply prolific --- especially with a good deal of precip overnight.

Just wow on that run. The pictures are going to be amazing after this one...

I wouldn't discount Philly out of the ice problem area. MAybe not as much as say the LV/poconos. But if the NAM is showing some fz rain , especially overnight tues-wed morning, rush hour could be a mess. Even with just a .25" of ice. Not hyping, just want people to not get caught off guard.

Just think, remember how badly that first "Rain" storm busted a few weeks ago. And surface temps were expected to rise considerably above freezing for that one. Now we have the NAM showing surface temps at frz the entire event not too far NW of the city. Slight shift south could mean a devastating ice storm for almost all of PA.

Just think, remember how badly that first "Rain" storm busted a few weeks ago. And surface temps were expected to rise considerably above freezing for that one. Now we have the NAM showing surface temps at frz the entire event not too far NW of the city. Slight shift south could mean a devastating ice storm for almost all of PA.

This is my first winter up in Bucks County, so I'm not as proficient in knowing the local geography up here as well as I did Delco.

From what NAM is showing, we are in the fzra bullseye with well over 1/2"...downright scary.

My wife says pick up rock salt. My reply was that a jackhammer might be a better option!

Speaking of the temp profiles, I live in Swedesboro NJ and just to point out the difference in surface temps b/c of the snow pack. When I left for my office at 7 AM it was 15 deg at my house . Once I crossed the Comm Barry bridge it was 24 deg 10 mins later. It shows you that rural areas where the snow pack isn't disrupted (plowing erc.) the surfaces temps are much lower and will have a tremendous afect on the FRZ rain situation.

Speaking of the temp profiles, I live in Swedesboro NJ and just to point out the difference in surface temps b/c of the snow pack. When I left for my office at 7 AM it was 15 deg at my house . Once I crossed the Comm Barry bridge it was 24 deg 10 mins later. It shows you that rural areas where the snow pack isn't disrupted (plowing erc.) the surfaces temps are much lower and will have a tremendous afect on the FRZ rain situation.

that's just radiational cooling. had it been overcast there would have been no difference in temp in the 2 locations.

Looking at national radar, precip is still way back in the midwest. Not sure this is going to start until sunup tomorrow? Or is that area supposed to expand quickly during the day?

Local news was saying snow here by 9PM but doesn't seem like it will make it in that quickly to my eyes.

Well, WAA always comes in with a rush and ahead of schedule. I've been thinking just after midnight for the LV. 9pm seems too early.

This is a great post and something that needs to be watched. Same thing for me. It was 10 degrees in Media, PA this morning while the airport was showing 24 degrees at the very same time. With an event like this 2 degrees means so, so much and I'm talking even 31 versus 29. Frz rain has trouble accumulating too much right around 32 --- but once you dip below 30, it's a different story. South Central PA through Lehigh Valley will be decimated --- but down in Chesco, Delco and PHL --- serious issues cannot be ruled out, specifically the more 'rural' you are (as you so eloquently put!).

This is a great post and something that needs to be watched. Same thing for me. It was 10 degrees in Media, PA this morning while the airport was showing 24 degrees at the very same time. With an event like this 2 degrees means so, so much and I'm talking even 31 versus 29. Frz rain has trouble accumulating too much right around 32 --- but once you dip below 30, it's a different story. South Central PA through Lehigh Valley will be decimated --- but down in Chesco, Delco and PHL --- serious issues cannot be ruled out, specifically the more 'rural' you are (as you so eloquently put!).

Yes when I left my house for work from Brookhaven it was 15 also that was at 7:25am and yes the airport was 24 so I don't know what's the major issues will be.

Looking at national radar, precip is still way back in the midwest. Not sure this is going to start until sunup tomorrow? Or is that area supposed to expand quickly during the day?

Local news was saying snow here by 9PM but doesn't seem like it will make it in that quickly to my eyes.

The warm air advection is expected to ramp up and start generating snow before the system is anywhere near us.

Archived