CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too close for comfort in Montgomery County.. watches are warranted because there could be sig. ice.

Agreed. Still a long way out, but I'd be extra worried at this point if I lived across northern parts of the county where elevations are 200' higher than central portions. It "should" find a way to sneak above freezing in our neck of the woods at some point Wednesday. Now, whether its at 13z or say,17z could make the difference between some ice, and major ice.

Being here in SJ, a changeover to plain rain is expected.. no doubt. But when CAD is relied upon (along with a solid HP to the north) to hold in the freezing surface temperatures, it almost always overperforms. VDAY 2007 for example.. being 15 miles SE of Philly, most mets said a changeover to all rain was expected late in the overnight hours - with the morning commute being a-okay. Glenn Schwartz, legit the best met in Philly, agreed - and that was based off what the evening models had shown. I went to bed after his 11:20 segment, when he said the morning commute would be pretty good.. why would I pull an all nighter for a storm projected to turn over to rain and I could have school in the morning? so I fell asleep, setting my alarm at 5:30 just in case. And there it was - ice storm warnings scrolling across the tv... the CAD prevailed and overperformed! We had a lot of freezing rain and schools were closed for 2 days - even though it did eventually change back over to all rain after mid morning. So, this CAD situation WILL overperform like it always does. Those of you N&W of Philly, be prepared.

Per CoolWX and BUFKIT - There is a strip of mostly sleet below the mostly snow area in PA. AVP is all sleet and snow with no FR. Below this is a narrow strip of FR above 0.6" in Lehigh Valley/S Poconos and along I-78 to Reading and further west . .Farther south are lesser amounts of FR. PHL is about an inch of snow and 0.3 FR.

Being here in SJ, a changeover to plain rain is expected.. no doubt. But when CAD is relied upon (along with a solid HP to the north) to hold in the freezing surface temperatures, it almost always overperforms. VDAY 2007 for example.. being 15 miles SE of Philly, most mets said a changeover to all rain was expected late in the overnight hours - with the morning commute being a-okay. Glenn Schwartz, legit the best met in Philly, agreed - and that was based off what the evening models had shown. I went to bed after his 11:20 segment, when he said the morning commute would be pretty good.. why would I pull an all nighter for a storm projected to turn over to rain and I could have school in the morning? so I fell asleep, setting my alarm at 5:30 just in case. And there it was - ice storm warnings scrolling across the tv... the CAD prevailed and overperformed! We had a lot of freezing rain and schools were closed for 2 days - even though it did eventually change back over to all rain after mid morning. So, this CAD situation WILL overperform like it always does. Those of you N&W of Philly, be prepared.

Agreed. CAD situations tend to trend colder as we near the event and temps usually remain slightly colder longer than progged.

I recall the tremendous sleet event a couple years back, and pray that never happens again. I could now shovel or snow blow that ice tundra. Actually needed to hire professional snow removal to clear the drive way. Imagine shoveling frozen BB gun pellets 7" deep. Plain rain please.

Archived