Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PHL CWA Feb 1-2 Storm OBS and Discussion

Rib

Tom.

Elevation could play a role also...I think if Mt Holly could strip out the higher elevations across NW Chester County they would...not that it really matters as not too long after temps rise across Northern Chester County they will shortly do so in Southern Montgomery County and SE Berks County. I don't think I have ever seen them cut the counties in half with watches and warnings (but I could be wrong on that one)...

Paul

the reason why chester is grouped with delco and philly is because this storm is going to be a latitude storm. More latitude higher chance of frozen or freezing precip

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Dad just got a call down in DC, they're driving back Monday morning, and then staging all the trucks they can get up there, by Monday night, north of Allentown somewhere in response to what's coming. They're expecting massive power outages, up to a week or more, with at least 3/4 inch of ice. Now granted this came from the power company, and not Mt. Holly, so take it with a grain of salt. But either way, ominous.

I'm tellin ya! The neighborhoods affected were affected for over a week. It was a year or two before I got my job at Blue Ridge Cable's News13. I know they had Mark Nalesnik the Carbon County EMA Director live in studio talking about what folks should do (of course his message only worked with those that actually had power)...

For anyone that is sick enough to be rooting for ice, don't be. Enjoy the fury of Ma nature, but root against ice...please! Especially with single digit lows forecasted just a night or two following the big storm....There are so many problems that will happen with massive and long term power outages...

If I had no power for a week, I'm one of the lucky ones that would be put up @ the hotel near work--just so I could get to work--but others are not as lucky..they would be trapped, with no communications, no way to get on the roads, and worse...

There is a serious threat for an historic ice storm here, a threat that needs to be taken seriously.

Tom.

Elevation could play a role also...I think if Mt Holly could strip out the higher elevations across NW Chester County they would...not that it really matters as not too long after temps rise across Northern Chester County they will shortly do so in Southern Montgomery County and SE Berks County. I don't think I have ever seen them cut the counties in half with watches and warnings (but I could be wrong on that one)...

Paul

What does the wxism say?

I talked to folks who were without power for over a week in Carbon County from a few years ago and if you could imagine living in hell, a frozen hell, that's what they described...

And those were mostly rural locations. Can you imagine larger cities like Allentown and Bethlehem without power for a week?

Mt Holly updating again.... Colder than expected.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM MONDAY MORNING/...

LITTLE CHANGE TO THE 4 PM FORECAST. WILL TOUCH UP THE GRIDS AGAIN

AROUND 930PM AS HAVING SOME TROUBLE WITH THE DISCONTINUOUS DECOUPLED

FALLING TEMPS.

ARCTIC AIR BEGINS ITS INEVITABLE SOUTHWARD SEEP INTO THE AREA. A

CLASSIC COLD HIGH SETTING UP TO OUR NORTH AND THINK ITS SETTING

THE STAGE FOR SUBSTANTIAL WINTER WX EVENT.

I posted this in the LV thread but I think areas just south of the South Mountain need to pay attention to this..

From NWS Bing--who seem to not want to issue watches at this time...even though Mt Holly and State College already have...

FURTHER SOUTH IN THE

WYOMING VALLEY SNOWFALL MAY BE LIMITED TO ONLY A COUPLE OF INCHES

FOLLOWED BY POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT ICING. BY LATE WEDNESDAY

AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING AS COASTAL DEEPENS STRONG CAA WILL RAPIDLY

CHANGE BACK ALL PRECIP TYPES TO SNOW.

If I lived anywhere north of the PA Turnpike East/West extension and south of I-84 i would seriously consider stocking up on batteries and flashlights--especially berks/lehigh/northampton/carbon/schuylkill county areas....

I am hoping we up here are far enough north to escape the worst of the icing and have a more snowy solution...

I talked to folks who were without power for over a week in Carbon County from a few years ago and if you could imagine living in hell, a frozen hell, that's what they described...

I endured the major ice storm in the poconos a few years back. I left the area before it hit but my neighbor was stuck on the mountain for days without help....or power. Lucky they have a wood stove for heat and a BBQ they used to cook. I installed a generator after that storm.

Anyway....I made it back up there about 4 days after....it was rough getting up the mountain but made it in the hummer after the roads were treated with a layer of sand. I had no power the first night.....but flagged down a PPL crew the next morning and since there was juice at the pole and only a down line to the house they hooked me right up, along with my neighbors house. I then thawed out our homes which took a day and a half.....lucky no pipe damage as I shut down the water knowing what was coming.

Anyway the real disaster was the trees down. Basically, every tree was at least topped. I used the hummer and a tow rope to clear one of my driveways so I could get off the street. The house and property was covered with tree limbs, branches and one downed tree. My former partner who has a house up there too sent a tree guy and his crew from Lacy NJ to clear our lots...in exchange they stayed at his house for a few weeks and raked in major bucks.

For some...power took 2 weeks to restore. I was lucky as most of the damage on the mountain top was limited to lines and not poles. After a few days I had cable and telco restored. I learned the value of having a few lanterns that use tea candles.....they work great for light. Also, having a supply of dry firewood and dry good for food because most stores had no dairy...what they had went bad and new supplies took days as they waited to restore power for refrigeration.

The amount of ice was amazing.....and the crap falling from trees 24/7, even after 4 days was incredible. I wore a hard had from the tree crew because some of the chunks falling were huge. It was like walking in a foot of ice cubes on top of several inches of ice...sleet and snow on the bottom.

If something like this happens in your area...or is forecast....please take some time to prepare your home and family!! Stock up on water!! Use coolers and ice to save food. Cook up pasta ahead of time.....fill the BBQ tank!! Be prepared to go without power for days and depending on where you live....assistance might be hard to come by.

I also purchased a small propane grill/burner set for camping and keep a case of canisters for it. If you have well water.....stock up on water....fill the baths for water to use for toilets....store drinking water...buy some. I cant stress enough...precook some meals if it looks like your location is going to get hit hard!! Eating cold chicken cutlets is my favorite hunker down meal. salads too. Cereals.

Archived