• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part III

Typhoon Tip

Essentials to the synoptics can boil down to two glaringly unavoidable circumstances for me:

1) Fresh polar-arctic hybrid air mass loading into the lower tropospheric thickness' off the outflow from a robust enough E Ontario anticyclone.

2) Additionally, there is a strong lateral confluence in the orientation of two converging westerly cores: one from central Canada around SPV circulation, is impinging on the wrap around circulation from the transient SW Conus trough.

1+2 = cold result.

The thermal gradient will be extreme roughly LI or LI Sound... Suspect a west east moderate band of snow on Tuesday deposes somewhere in the 4-6" range... Then we stay cloudy ...maybe a shot of sun very early Wednesday before rapid deterioration sets in. Route 2 (Mohawk Trail) in Mass to about RUT-MHT-PWM looks to jackpot snow somewhere in there, heaviest south. There will be a very tight gradient of mix where there is snow fighting IP in west east oriented band, and an abrupt introducition of ZR in CT/RI - that is the general overview of how I see P-Type in this.

Snow amounts on the latter system is very difficult with that, because just about every guidance has a different idea on QPF totals. I rather like the NAM in this, however, because it is the most consistent, as well, all the player are squarely in the NAM's sounding domain. I suspect a primary gets to the latitude of Dayton Ohio ...somewhere eastern IL or in IN or OH, then confluence and arctic viscosity work together to drill it all east under the latitude of SNE - effectively keeping the west -east orient p-type transition zone locked... Everyone ends as light snow early Thursday.

Signal is still there for additional storminess over late next weekend but we let's take this one at a time.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect a primary get to the latitude of Dayton Ohio ...somewhere eastern IL or in IN or OH, then confluence and arctic viscosity work together to drill it all east under the latitude of SNE - effectively keeping the west -east orient p-type transition zone locked... Everyone ends as light snow early Thursday.

I was wondering what the chances are that the line sets up just a bit further south than that? I was thinking KY and southern OH and then heading east. That big high up north seems to want to "leak" a little further south.

John you always amaze with such eloquence of writing. You could turn a thundershower into the next War and Peace.

I imagine this thread will be garnered by many a soundings come the time.

Ha ha. I'm not trying to be dramatic, really - that's the way I see it... I could see 4-6" a lull, then almost a foot, for a dual event total of 16-18" where all snow, and I feel pretty highly confident of my tight gradient idea and where it snows, versus zr, ip and so forth.

Normally I'd think it's a bit too early for a map but this is just a rare case, we know that we are going to get crushed with something, the only issues is do parts of the region end up seeing more in the way of sleet/freezing rain than snow. Considering the potential impacts this storm will have and what we've dealt with so far this is a "special" storm.

Archived