• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm FAIL next week

Ji

I have a hard time seeing this being a lakes cutter, too. Either suppressed or a Mid atlantic hit is more likely.... and I think this one has more cold air than yesterday, so there's a chance it could be an even bigger hit if the 12z GFS track holds.

Would you mind tell us (me) why you have a hard time seeing it as a lakes cutter... I'm just trying to understand that's all.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the day before does show a suggestion that we'd get some snow first, however

http://www.weatherof...ast/236_100.gif

Eh...maybe. That high beats a fast retreat to the north. Would be a race between the moisture and the cold air.

Again...I have a hard time seeing a cutter with this upper air pattern. I don't see what's dragging this thing so far west. GGEM 120 500mb chart shows the little vortmax going negatively tilted in amongst a much larger positively tilted trough. Looks funky.

Would you mind tell us (me) why you have a hard time seeing it as a lakes cutter... I'm just trying to understand that's all.

Like another met said earlier, the huge Polar Vortex (PV) and mass of cold air sitting over Hudson bay and SE Canada isn't going anywhere much anytime soon, and it will hold any shortwave down south as it passes west to east across the CONUS. That's why a suppressed system is more likely than a lakes cutter.

Like another met said earlier, the huge Polar Vortex (PV) and mass of cold air sitting over Hudson bay and SE Canada isn't going anywhere much anytime soon, and it will hold any shortwave down south as it passes west to east across the CONUS. That's why a suppressed system is more likely than a lakes cutter.

and its why yesterday's vort stayed to our south as well

I didn't see where another Met said it... sorry about that. Appreciate you responding. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Should we be concerned with the Vort on the GFS sitting over Pittsburgh @ 156? That doesn't seem like a good track to me.

yes, that is why I said yesterday that in this case a weaker more strung out solution is better. We need the H5 energy not to amplify too much because it is not digging south of us. If this storm amps it will go north of us. If it is suppressed by the arctic high long enough to force it east south of us before developing then we have a shot. The high and the timing have to be right because this is not a good setup at h5 but some of our best overrunning situations were not good h5 setups, look at PDII and that had a positive NAO also. I am not saying I think the GFS is right or the GGEM is wrong, either solution looks viable to me, but this is NOT the same setup as the storm from yesterday. It was pretty obvious early on that the timing for that was going to be such that there would not be a ton of cold air in place. That meant a bad h5 solution would be deadly. This time we could do with a messy h5, but only if the storm does not amplify too much west of us. Weaker is better in this situation. Let the warm air hitting that 1040 arctic high to the work, we dont need a sub 1000 mb low.

Overrunning events are a different beast than what we just had. The vort going over/north of us is why the coastal pops at about our latitude and then hits NY/SNE on later panels. Vort is not that much of an issue for overrunning events.

totally agree, as long as we do not see a trend to have a more amplified vort like the GGEM. Right now having the GGEM west is not that big a deal as its been way too amplified the last 3 storms.

Its amazing to me how persistent and relentless that +PNA ridge is on the West coast. Earlier this Winter, that ridge tended to be located

further West in the central Pac. Does look like the pattern finally breaks down in two weeks as the PV moves Eastward bringing a bitter

intrusion of cooold air to the NE. What a Winter so far...and much more to come.

totally agree, as long as we do not see a trend to have a more amplified vort like the GGEM. Right now having the GGEM west is not that big a deal as its been way too amplified the last 3 storms.

The GGEM and UKMET have blown so far this winter.

The GFS has been pretty good actually. It is sort of like the Euro is most winters. Fairly steady. Euro being suppressed is another signal the cutter idea is bunk.

Its amazing to me how persistent and relentless that +PNA ridge is on the West coast. Earlier this Winter, that ridge tended to be located

further West in the central Pac. Does look like the pattern finally breaks down in two weeks as the PV moves Eastward bringing a bitter

intrusion of cooold air to the NE. What a Winter so far...and much more to come.

it is too persistent, I am getting nervous about my trip to Salt Lake City in later February, looks totally dry there the next 2 weeks. Hope the ridge out there breaks down before I get out there.

Archived