e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco/Obs - Gametime

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on guys, why shouldn't this be a place for a 10-year old? This is probably one of, if not the best place to go to if you want to learn about the weather/science. If I knew weather boards existed when I was 10 I would have been on them every second of my free time. All I'm going to say on this so this doesn;t get any more OT than it is.

So, 10 year olds should hear about how much cheap beer you drink? C'mon. Be real. Get this thread back to the storm, which is overperforming for some areas.

I put that in the wrong thread......

Was just typing:

I'm in Riverhead, eastern Suffolk County, Long Island now and it has turned to light sleet with some fzra or rn mixed in. At times flakes get the upper hand when you get a heavier burst. 3 inches is down here from earlier.

Should be an interesting ride home to about the Mid Hudson Valley ...then I guess I'll pass north of this storm.

Talking mainly about the current surface depiction, WV, Radar, trajectory, etc. rather than the models - although it doesnt hurt to have the most recent model show a good solution.

Check the current 3 hr surface pressure drops off the mid atl, just about perfect IMO - rapid intensification and consolidation of the energy in the system should yield a really good result for much of the area (and intensification supported by the lightning strikes and convective look to the radar in that area). Plus as others have pointed out, the northern wave seems to be hitting a brick wall (although that battle is not yet decided imo and something to keep watching).

The northern system hasn't run into a brick wall. It's clearly beginning to exert an influence in NW PA, and overall the last few frames the system in the south looks to be going east as much as it is ENE. It's expected to turn more north in time...but http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/satellite/displaySat.php?region=ALB&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20110126&endTime=-1&duration=6

It's no doubt feeling the shove.

i can't say for sure. soundings are certainly marginal. there are probably pockets of warmer air tucked in here and there...as evidence by the thickness values we are seeing modeled. if you lose the heavier precip it can flip and then flip back. there was also some strong echoes coming in SW of you at that time so maybe some kind of weird temporary weakening to the ENE of it for a brief time. who knows.

regardless i think overall the big thump later on should be predominantly snow.

monster flakes here. HUGE.

1.4", heavy wet snow. Already a mess to shovel.

Very very light snow here now. Radar is pooping out.

Archived