• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Happy Anniversary

Isopycnic

Been in a 17 inch thundersnow here in FEb 2004, Superstorm 93 in Cullowhee, and mega icestorm Dec 2002. But I heard and saw those coming to different degrees, this one came out of nowhere. Imagine you woke up and saw 15 inches in the morning. Thats what made this so speacil IMO. With this weather board and internet I will never get suprised like that again. Of course the down side was I spent 6 1/2 days without power. The mail didnt run for 2 days out here where I live. Dot plows (what few they had) where tearing up and roads stayed covered for a week. The first night after it was close to zero outside. I also remember looking out toward town and in the pitch black dark how the moon beaming off the snow was the only light. It became a chore w/o power having to pack the freezer food with snow outside in coolers to keep frozen. I'll never forget it though had a 4 year old girl and wife was expecting in April. No power, pregnant wife for 6 1/2 days along with the ultimate snowhound suprise of all time, needless to say this event will never get erased from my memory! :arrowhead:

I was almost 6. Wow, that was an amazing storm. Then we had some ice to lock it in and it got cold and stayed cold.

Yea we had a minor ice/mix event a couple days before. In fact I still had some glaze on trees when this event got underway that Monday night, which owed to the fact the branches caught every wind driven flake that went by. Also I beleive we had another couple inches winter weather latter on that week (Thursday?). It was a fascinating week in weather to say the least.

My personal favorite snowstorm happened 11 years ago today! I was also in the '93 storm in Marietta, Ga., which was also a great storm, but it would have to rank 2nd behind 1/25/2000.

My rank:

1) 1/2000

2) 3/1993

3) 1/1988

4) 1/2002

5) 3/1980 - was only 11 during this storm but remember how much fun we had during it.

I posted this earlier in the banter thread!

That sucks, I thought you got over a foot w/ that one.

yeah, crazy thing about that storm was I got almost all my snow that morning with the overrunning portion of the event. I'll never forget Steve Crump from WBTV doing his segment while standing on Independence Boulevard in Charlotte(they had to shut it down, 3rd busiest road in Charlotte) that night.

it was an incredible run for here though...09/10-10/11 doesnt win in a comparison between that and 02/03-03/04.

I had just started my job in Raleigh at the end of 1999. I remember sitting at work looking at the forecast that morning and expecting only a dusting to an inch or maybe two. Wasn't going to be much of anything. I remember looking at the radar throughout the day and hearing reports of Charlotte and SC getting lots of snow. I remember thinking that no way with that radar presentation that a Winter Weather Advisory was going to be adequate for this event.

As the day went along and Winter Storm Warnings were finally issued, I was looking at the radar and thinking no way we were only going to get 4 inches with all of that. I got off work around 5 or so and it had started raining. I knew it wouldn't be long before it changed to sleet and/or freezing rain because the air was so dry. It didn't take long till sleet pellets started hitting my windshield on the way home.

When I got home, it was sleeting pretty good (lived in Cary at the time) and eventually a few snowflakes mixed in, but it remained mostly sleet. I guess it was on toward midnight that I heard the pelting stop. Everything got quiet. I looked out the window and it was snowing heavily. A few minutes later, I heard the loud pings of sleet. Then it was quiet again. That happened about 3 times and then it was all snow. Heavy snow. We got about a half inch of sleet or so before it transitioned to all snow.

I remember watching Greg Fishel talking about 6 inches earlier that evening, and I told my roommates there was no way we were only going to get six inches. It was going to be a lot more than that. Through the night, I woke up a lot, as I always do when it's snowing or supposed to snow. I heard pinging against the window and worried that it was sleeting, but each time I looked out, it was all snow...wind-driven snow, pelting the window.

When morning came, I went to the window and looked out, expecting to see no snow falling, or at the very least, light snow. But it was still coming down hard. Mike Maze was on in the morning talking about 15 inches and it was still snowing. The snow finally tapered off about 1:30 that afternoon. It was the most amazing storm I've ever seen. I don't know if I'll ever see another one like that or not, but one thing is certain: I'll never forget that one.

Definitely in my top 10 weather experiences :weight_lift: I was under bed rest during my pregnancy (cervical cancer and placenta previa) and not allowed to get up longer than it took to take a shower. Watched the news/Today show during the morning while watching it drizzle off and on, then looked out the window around lunch time to see the snow flakes flying :wub: I watched it snow all afternoon and night, giggling each time I seen a flash of lightning while waiting on the thunder to rumble. My Daughter kind of freaked out the first time it happened as she had never seen anything like that...she was only 10. I never lost power but there were several times it flickered during the night. I couldn't play in it, so my daughter and hubby filled the house with buckets of snow for the best indoor snowball fight there ever was :wub: My house was trashed, but it was awesome...especially since I didn't have to clean it up :lol:

yeah, crazy thing about that storm was I got almost all my snow that morning with the overrunning portion of the event. I'll never forget Steve Crump from WBTV doing his segment while standing on Independence Boulevard in Charlotte(they had to shut it down, 3rd busiest road in Charlotte) that night.

it was an incredible run for here though...09/10-10/11 doesnt win in a comparison between that and 02/03-03/04.

Hardest I've ever seen it snow was toward the end of the overrunning portion of the Feb 2004 storm - it was in the late morning timeframe.

It seems like everytime I go skiing at Snowshoe a big storm hits NC. Drove back at the tail end of the 2000 storm. I remember there was hardly any snow in Winston, but I had a foot in my driveway in High Point / Jamestown, where I was living at the time.

Archived