Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-27 Snowstorm Disco VI

ConvectiveSolutions

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect this was posted in the dark recesses of the other thread. But, I found the ALY AFD a really good read. And, at one point, it does point to my one last glimmer of hope here in GC.

THERE IS SOME CONCERN THAT THE UPSTREAM TROUGH COULD ACTUALLY BACK

THE HEIGHT UPSTREAM ACROSS EASTERN CANADA...WHILE CONVECTIVE HEIGHTS

COULD INDUCE A RIDGE EAST OF THE DEVELOPING SURFACE WAVE IN OFF THE

FLORIDA COAST. IF EITHER OR TWO OF THESE THINGS HAPPEN...THE STORM

WOULD HAVE A FREE RIDE RIGHT ALONG THE COAST AND TAKE A MORE

NORTHERLY PATH. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED DURING THE "SURPRISE"

SNOWSTORM OFF JANUARY 25TH 2000 (11 YEARS AGO TO THE DATE).

THE THUS FAR...HOWEVER...THE H20 LP INDICATES NEITHER OF THE

AFOREMENTIONED IS HAPPENING...BUT THE STORM IS STILL A WAYS OFF. IN

THE 2000 STORM SETUP...THE UPSTREAM TROUGH LOOKED MORE PRONOUNCED

AND WAS ORIENTED MORE NORTH/SOUTH.

THE OTHER CONCERN ABOUT THIS STORM IS THAT THE UPPER AIR LOW PORTION

OF THE STORM HAS REMAINED BIFURCATED FROM THE SURFACE LOW AND BOTH

THE 12Z GFS AND ESPECIALLY 12Z NAM INDICATED THESE FEATURES REMAIN

BIFURCATED UNTIL THEY DRIFT TO THE EAST. THEREFORE...THE SURFACE

STORM DOES NOT REALLY "TIGHTEN" UP...BUT REMAINS MORE DIFFUSE

(NEVERTHELESS FORECASTED TO DEEPEN) QUITE A BIT...DOWN AROUND 980

MBS BUT NOT UNTIL THE UPPER LOW "CAPTURES" THE SURFACE STORM...WELL

TO OUR EAST).

THIS WHOLE SETUP LOOKS MORE OF WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STORMS LAST

YEAR...STAYING MAINLY SOUTH OF AREA. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOT OF

MOISTURE TO WORK WITH...AND WILL LIKELY PRODUCE HEAVY QPF

SOMEWHERE...PERHAPS AS FAR NORTH AS OUR EXTREME SOUTHERN COUNTIES ON

SOUTHWARD. WE STILL CANNOT CLOSE THE DOOR ON IT...BUT FOR NOW...THE

THREAT OF A HEAVY SNOWFALL APPEARS TO BE SOUTH OF THE CAPITAL

DISTRICT.

I can't get it to delete the other image, same name problem.

The weak meso west of florida moves up overnight east of the carolinas, ends up near the X at 12z and then bounces around east of the "parent" low off DE. So this IMO is where the big difference is....it's either a fake micro spinup that will wash out, or it may be that the meso's were on to something....it's a feature that's there now but that doesn't mean it's there later.

The globals mostly obliterate the low coming up from the eastern GOM after 12z Wednesday.

This system looks like it may be the first shot of a jackpot SE of the I-95 corridor of the last few systems this past month. Every system previously ended up tracking near Nantucket to the Cape. Finally, a solution that may actually cross the Benchmark. New Haven, Suffolk, LI, to E. CT, RI, Eastern Mass- Essex County to Boston to the Canal special this time around. It will be interesting to see how fast the column cools this time tomorrow night. Coastal frontogenesis should get a kick in the ass to the SE around midnight tomorrow. Looking like CCB could set up I-95 Corridor SE CT to Newburyport.

My favorite line was that "it has not been well outside of 36 hrs"....like it's a mental patient undergoing "episodes". :lol:

We really would have 100% better forecasts in the met community if we did away entirely with the GFS and NAM..if we just had foreign guidance there would never ever have been any doubt this storm was gonna be a big hit. GGEM.UKIE/Euro all have shown varying degrees of big hits for a week

We really would have 100% better forecasts in the met community if we did away entirely with the GFS and NAM..if we just had foreign guidance there would never ever have been any doubt this storm was gonna be a big hit. GGEM.UKIE/Euro all have shown varying degrees of big hits for a week

Kevin, just got in from skiing. What's the low down (NPI). Little kick NW at 18z? looks like a 4-8" here right now but 2nd Maxima? Nice 4-6" snowfall around here this morning.

Kevin, just got in from skiing. What's the low down (NPI). Little kick NW at 18z? looks like a 4-8" here right now but 2nd Maxima? Nice 4-6" snowfall around here this morning.

I think you guys are in the 2nd maxima zone. I would have you in the 8-14 inch zone..with the caveat there could be more if the banding sits over you which it typically loves to do

The problem is also that the NAM and GFS are the most "accessible", so we see a lot of forecasts relying on their output with zero consideration of the foreign models, or even GEFS.

Not saying everyone, and most mets know better

that's a great point

Archived