Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late January Thread Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps a bit premature but here's my assessment for those who forecasted this event.

TV Mets (F) - Shockingly poor to the point of debacle. I suppose I should give them a break since most are probably journalism majors who answered "yes" to the question "Have you ever read a thermometer?" during the interview and were then promoted to the weather department. But all I heard Tuesday was nuisance, rain, minor, no big deal, etc. And this is for abc27, cbs21 and Wgal. Short answer - bzzzzzz, no soup for you.

NWS (D-) - I try to give our boys in State College the benefit of the doubt but now we have Masters and maybe PhD's in Meteorology so the standard is higher. They were late issuing the original WSW and basically got the entire timing of the storm wrong less than 24 hours prior to start. They originally had little this morning, height of storm this afternoon, tapering tonight. Reality was basically the opposite. As a result, schools and PennDOT were caught off guard. Add to that no updates all day, and an uber-late WSW for a few more counties we all thought should have been originally included and we're left with a very poor performance indeed. They managed to get Lancaster County pretty close which saved them from the F. But wow, not their finest hour on this one.

Lastly, our very own red taggers, eskimo joe and others (A) - Just go back through this very thread and look at the astute analysis, supporting model output, and well thought out reasoning. Then look at the forecasted snow maps. I'd be willing to bet they align quite well with what we'll be reporting in the morning. And I believe I speak for the rest of us in saying a well deserved "THANKS!" and an even greater deserved "WELL DONE!!!".:thumbsup: Glad you're here!

we have a super heavy band over the wyoming valley right now. 2 inches an hour falling per local tv.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

517 PM EST WED JAN 26 2011

NYZ062-PAZ044-047-048-072-270100-

LACKAWANNA-LUZERNE-PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-SULLIVAN-

517 PM EST WED JAN 26 2011

...BANDS OF HEAVY SNOW TO AFFECT THE EVENING COMMUTE HOME...

SEVERAL NARROW BANDS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW...ORIENTED FROM

SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST...WILL IMPACT THE POCONO PLATEAU IN

NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...AND SOUTHERN SULLIVAN COUNTY NEW YORK...

INTO THIS EVENING.

SNOWFALL RATES OF AN INCH OR MORE PER HOUR...ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN

THESE BANDS. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY

HIGHER AMOUNTS...CAN BE EXPECTED IN PERSISTENT BANDS...THROUGH 8 PM.

THE FOLLOWING INTERSTATES ARE LIKELY TO SEE SNOW COVERED AND

SLIPPERY TRAVEL CONDITIONS....PARTICULARLY OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN.

SECTIONS OF INTERSTATE 81 AND THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE...SOUTH OF

CLARKS SUMMIT. INTERSTATE 80...EAST OF HAZLETON...INTERSTATE

84...EAST OF SCRANTON...AND INTERSTATE 380...SOUTH OF DUNMORE.

MOTORISTS ARE URGED TO EXERCISE CAUTION...AND GIVE THEMSELVES EXTRA

TIME TO REACH THEIR DESTINATIONS.

$$

wow, that's shocking!

Back edge of the snow looks like it's moving eastward pretty rapidly. Hopefully we'll stay in heavy snow for a couple more hours.

Yeah, as soon as the coastal took over earlier this afternoon, the back edge started rocketing through western PA, and now we're down to flurries back this way. Doesn't look like much outside, maybe 2" or so -- roads were much better here than Altoona, where there was closer to 3".

I don't know exactly how much snow we have at the moment, but it's easily pushing 6 or 7". What a neat storm to follow, watch and then luckily get to witness.

Snow's starting to slow down, but it's still falling. If ratios were evenly remotely good (they did improve around 8 when those heavy bands were sitting on top of us) we'd easily have 10"+.

for the northern pa crew

weekend clipper looks good.

nam_p36_078m.gif

Yep... on to the next one. Both clippers, tomorrow night and Saturday, look decent. We (west of I-99) should get a few inches with the first, and just about everybody gets at least some on Saturday.

I don't know exactly how much snow we have at the moment, but it's easily pushing 6 or 7". What a neat storm to follow, watch and then luckily get to witness.

Snow's starting to slow down, but it's still falling. If ratios were evenly remotely good (they did improve around 8 when those heavy bands were sitting on top of us) we'd easily have 10"+.

This thing was forecast to do just about everything except what it actually did. A week ago AccuWx was doing comparisons between this and the '93 Superstorm. We had the rain on the coast, snow inland scenario, the apps runner scenario and the "wide right" model. And then we ended up with something completely different - a double-barrel surprise that's going to be a bear to shovel.

At least the early end to the snow will allow me to get out and clean up tonight..

Archived