• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late January Thread Part II

We were hammered down here. I am at 14 inches. Measured in 3 spots. Front, Deck, and Steps. We had 5 from the first wave, and 9 from the ULL. Still moderate to heavy snow falling. This picture was from earlier in the evening. Harford County MD is getting similar reports just to my immediate south.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice!! I was just looking at MD traffic conditions since my wife has to be at work in Baltimore at 7am. Just a complete disaster. Here's a link to some of the traffic cams if you like mayhem take a look at 695 @ York Rd

http://www.chart.state.md.us/MapNet/MapDOTNET.aspx?Browser=IE7&ViewName=Select&Cmd=switchtheme&tab=VideoAndCamera&DoPanTo=False&Direction=&PanFactor=&DoZoomScaleFactor=&x=&y=&Encoder=&timestamp=98265&x1=0&x2=0&y2=0&y1=0&gCenterLat=39.230125638383924&gCenterLon=-77.1624755859375&gZoomLvl=9

Nice!! I was just looking at MD traffic conditions since my wife has to be at work in Baltimore at 7am. Just a complete disaster. Here's a link to some of the traffic cams if you like mayhem take a look at 695 @ York Rd

http://www.chart.sta...9375&gZoomLvl=9

Thanks for sharing that link. What a mess in this area. I work in MD and I hope they shut things down. They stink at snow removal anyway. Over a foot with tens of thousands without power is really a disaster down there.

Thanks for sharing that link. What a mess in this area. I work in MD and I hope they shut things down. They stink at snow removal anyway. Over a foot with tens of thousands without power is really a disaster down there.

Good luck tomorrow! Be safe! I'm headed out soon for final snow removal so she can get out in the am. Hopkins doesn't close, so she's gotta try to make it!

Timing couldnt have been worse for DC area... they got hit right at rush hour... I have a friend who works in DC who is staying at his office with some of his co-workers because he only got a half mile from the office in 3 hours so he went back

I think 6" for Harrisburg is pretty accurate... thats about what I measured and that's what the airport reported in METAR code

I know we all dont want to sit here and bash NWS State College... but they upgraded their forecast for Harrisburg to 6-10 from 5-7 at 10 when snow was finishing? Something has to be messed up and what they try to send out not getting out right away today...

And after all that, the places that got put under the WSW at the last minute barely reached the criteria. 6.3 at the airport, but most of Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry and Lebanon counties came in at 3-5 inches.

A very tight gradient killed a large swath of Cumberland it seems like. ESP if Carlisle got 3.5" - that is sharp!

nice pics...one of these days i will get my 15+ inches :thumbsup:

Last year and this storm have been amazing, The higher elevations in SE York County right on the MD line have been hammered (that is when we do get snow). I hope we start seeing larger scale east coast storms. Too many isolated events screwing people in MD and cent PA. Philly has been the snow magnet though.

Ended up with 3.1" total here earlier this evening. The stuff was pretty much concrete and plastered to everything. I can't even imagine the places further east that has 4 times that and probably even more than that going towards NYC. The streak continues, I have not had a single snowfall hit the 4 inch mark all season. Fortunately, this month has been cold, and a good portion of what i've gotten this month remains on the ground. I have about a 9 inch snowpack

I'll have to look at things, but it looked like my snowfall forecast ended up in good shape for the most part once i made that last minute adjustment in SE PA. As far as the storm evolution though..I banked on a storm that would hug the coast several days ago, and once again the low has managed to be enough offshore that it gives the I-95 corridor pretty much the ground zero weather. Fortunately for eastern PA this time the setup was good enough to allow a pounding snowfall for them as well.

The ultimate coastal track this season has been really consistent with a more offshore low. If one looked at the SST departures, you'd see that for awhile the Gulf and entire east coast has been quite below average. I've been pondering about this but after this storm I'm really starting to wonder if that's having a factor on storm track. Instead of the greatest baroclinicity right near the coastline where water meets land, these lows might be finding such a thing offshore toward the Gulf stream instead. Even if that wasn't a factor, the colder SSTs certainly can't hurt the NYC's and Philly's of the world when a marginal event tempwise like this comes along.

Ended up with 3.1" total here earlier this evening. The stuff was pretty much concrete and plastered to everything. I can't even imagine the places further east that has 4 times that and probably even more than that going towards NYC. The streak continues, I have not had a single snowfall hit the 4 inch mark all season. Fortunately, this month has been cold, and a good portion of what i've gotten this month remains on the ground. I have about a 9 inch snowpack

I'll have to look at things, but it looked like my snowfall forecast ended up in good shape for the most part once i made that last minute adjustment in SE PA. As far as the storm evolution though..I banked on a storm that would hug the coast several days ago, and once again the low has managed to be enough offshore that it gives the I-95 corridor pretty much the ground zero weather. Fortunately for eastern PA this time the setup was good enough to allow a pounding snowfall for them as well.

The ultimate coastal track this season has been really consistent with a more offshore low. If one looked at the SST departures, you'd see that for awhile the Gulf and entire east coast has been quite below average. I've been pondering about this but after this storm I'm really starting to wonder if that's having a factor on storm track. Instead of the greatest baroclinicity right near the coastline where water meets land, these lows might be finding such a thing offshore toward the Gulf stream instead. Even if that wasn't a factor, the colder SSTs certainly can't hurt the NYC's and Philly's of the world when a marginal event tempwise like this comes along.

i got 1" from today so your map was good for my area.

im not far ahead of you in the max storm total @ 5 inches for the largest storm so far.

Archived