Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Jan 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any mets care to chime in??? whistle.gif

One solution out of the 25 different ones we have had the past two days. I think we're converging on the location of the low, but the models generally do not do well with dynamic cooling situations (CCB's as well). Namely, they have a tendency to put out a huge blob of precip instead of pinpointing the band location (due to resolution and convective issues). I find it unlikely that you see a solid blob of 1"+ like that, because there will be areas of subsidence due to banding caused by the CCB. At the same time, the models can also under-do precipitation falling as a result of the band itself.

It's something to think about, and we'll see what the rest of the guidance tonight looks like.

This storm is gonna keep trending a bit further west imho. I wouldn't want to be in the jackpot just yet, about 24hrs before the storm.

I think we're in wobble territory, no "trends" at this point. The whole structure of storm formation (if the nam is to be believed) is more in question than any "trend" east or west.

One solution out of the 25 different ones we have had the past two days. I think we're converging on the location of the low, but the models generally do not do well with dynamic cooling situations. Namely, they have a tendency to put out a huge blob of precip instead of pinpointing the band location (due to resolution and convective issues). I find it unlikely that you see a solid blob of 1"+ like that, because there will be areas of subsidence due to banding caused by the CCB. At the same time, the models can also under-do precipitation falling as a result of the band itself.

It's something to think about, and we'll see what the rest of the guidance tonight looks like.

thanks........i was just wondering since we are now supposedly in "NAM range"

All of NJ, New york tri-state region, Philly area is at least over .75 inches with most places approaching and exceeding 1 in qpf. Highest qpf is southern jersey in maryland and delaware with over 1.25 inches qpf.

Big change up here at KSWF. 12z run had us at 0.00 with QPF. Now thru 60 we are at 0.37

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM80km/NAM_KSWF.txt

It has probably been mentioned before but worth noting again that this will be another early (very early) morning storm that should be making its exit (at least for NYC and points west) by the Thursday morning commute. Impact should be high nonetheless if QPF verifies.

NAM soundings suggest this is all snow even at JFK

Yep. The Nam is very cold all the way to KJFK. Taken verbatim, this a perfect track for most of the I-95 area and places just west. Of course this NAM and it should not be taken totally verbatim. It has been shifting northwest. Just have to watch the models and not take them at face value.

With 36.1" snowfall to date, New York City currently has the 6th highest October-January figure. Should 3.9" or more fall, NYC will reach 40" or more snowfall before February for only the fifth time. The 10 highest figures are:

1. 44.9", 1947-48

2. 41.1", 1872-73

3. 40.5", 1904-05 and 1995-96

5. 37.1", 2003-04

6. 36.1", 2010-11

7. 35.3", 1960-61

8. 33.5", 1876-77 and 1922-23

10. 32.8", 1883-84

Archived