Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NYC/PHL Jan 25-27 Potential Bomb Part 5

earthlight

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All guidance is generally at the same latitude at the same time...so not really sure what sense it makes in some saying that they do not believe in the speed of the system? So basically what those people think is ALL the guidance is wrong....

I think some of that stems from the delay on some models today. The 12z and 00z Euro have the storm around the same hours...so it's definitely slowed the system a bit.

WHEN COMPARING THE GUIDANCE...THE 00Z NAM /AND EVENTUALLY THE 00ZUKMET AND 00Z ECMWF/ ARE THE SLOWEST WITH THIS SYSTEMSPROGRESSION...WHICH IS IN THE DIRECTION OF NAM/ECWMF/TO SOMEDEGREE GFS TRENDS. THE REMAINDER OF THE GUIDANCE...INCLUDING THE18Z GEFS/12Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS...IS QUICKER WITH THIS SYSTEMSPROGRESSION AND DEEPER ALOFT. AT THE SURFACE...THE 12Z/00Z UKMETWERE THE MOST WESTWARD AND LIES COMPLETELY OUTSIDE THE WEST SIDEOF THE 12Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLE MEMBER SPREAD AS THE LOW MOVES THROUGHTHE SOUTHEAST. WHILE THE 12Z UKMET CATCHES UP TO THE 12ZECMWF...ITS 00Z RUN NO LONGER DOES...LYING WITHIN THE SOUTHERNSIDE OF THE 12Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLE SPREAD. IN THREE DAYS...THE 00ZCANADIAN MOVES THE SYSTEM UP THE COAST OF NEW ENGLAND...WHICH ISON THE WESTERNMOST SIDE OF THE ENSEMBLE SPREAD. SINCE THECANADIAN IS TRENDING EASTWARD TOWARDS THE REMAINDER OF THEGUIDANCE...AND DUE TO MINIMAL ENSEMBLE SUPPORT...WILL RULE OUT THE12Z/00Z CANADIAN. THE 12Z ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE WAS BACK TO ITS USUALLOOK...WITH THE GEFS MEMBERS ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE SPREAD ANDTHE ECMWF ON THE WESTERN SIDE. CONSIDERING ALL OF THEABOVE...WILL PREFER A 00Z ECMWF/00Z GFS COMPROMISE SOLUTIONHERE...WHICH THE 00Z GFS/00Z CANADIAN SOLUTIONS ARE CONVERGINGTOWARDS. THIS IS SOMEWHAT SLOWER THAN THE PREVIOUSLY PREFERRED12Z ECMWF.

HPC

unless some new high develops or a better way of getting colder air into the area quicker, the higher qpf is going to relate to rain to snow. Less qpf would mean a little further ots and more snow and not as much rain.

I really think this is an event where a Euro solution would be the best thing for the coastal portions of the area....I'm not sure with the air mass we will have we want to chance a track near the benchmark where the precipitation rates may fall short of what we need to stay all snow...with a track like the Euro, even if its only a 988mb low I would be very confident in decent snows to the coast.

unless some new high develops or a better way of getting colder air into the area quicker, the higher qpf is going to relate to rain to snow. Less qpf would mean a little further ots and more snow and not as much rain.

So say the Euro showed 4-8" for the area - we could still get at least that much because there's more snow with it offshore?

I really think this is an event where a Euro solution would be the best thing for the coastal portions of the area....I'm not sure with the air mass we will have we want to chance a track near the benchmark where the precipitation rates may fall short of what we need to stay all snow...with a track like the Euro, even if its only a 988mb low I would be very confident in decent snows to the coast.

well it seems with the euro, im not sure if you can use this method or not. The closer it is obv the warmer it will be. Say the euro bumps this 50 miles east, wouldn;t that drag everything else atleast further east. Granted we would loose some qpf, but that would seem like the 850s would be a little colder to start.

Edit: saw Will's response

Agreed...the best way for NYC metro to get significant snow (>4") IMHO is to have the stronger solution try and flip them to snow during the 2nd half of the storm. The first half....forget it, even if 850mb is technically cold enough. The BL wind is awful. Different story for interior elevation NJ and SE NY above 401 feet.

But getting the CCB to try and go to town as mid-level temps crash is the best way to get snow on the CP there...at least meaningful snow. A further OTS solution might make it snow a bit longer during the storm but it would probably be cruddy temps and not stick very well outside the interior elevated spots.

Agreed...the best way for NYC metro to get significant snow (>4") IMHO is to have the stronger solution try and flip them to snow during the 2nd half of the storm. The first half....forget it, even if 850mb is technically cold enough. The BL wind is awful. Different story for interior elevation NJ and SE NY above 401 feet.

But getting the CCB to try and go to town as mid-level temps crash is the best way to get snow on the CP there...at least meaningful snow. A further OTS solution might make it snow a bit longer during the storm but it would probably be cruddy temps and not stick very well outside the interior elevated spots.

Wouldn't the wind be from the northeast from the storm coming up? Or are you saying before the storm occurs the bl is torched from the southeast flow?

Wouldn't the wind be from the northeast from the storm coming up? Or are you saying before the storm occurs the bl is torched from the southeast flow?

It eventually would turn NE during the storm but its out of the east leading up to it and at the onset. The damage is done by then...the coast would have to wait until it goes more NNE or N.

BTW, Euro ensemble mean is just a hair inside the BM track from a position just E of SBY....ML temps actually looks just a tick warmer than the OP run.

lol what...if the storm moves further ots you will lose qpf. But like snowgoose said you would loose the dynamic cooling.

Understood - I was thinking it may not warm as much initially, but looks like that isn't the case. At first we wanted a less intense storm, but now we might need the low to produce the cold air.

:lol: It's okay Will, he only lives at 340 feet.

Nicely done.laugh.gif

Archived