12z GFS UKMET rgem ggem model guidance confirms the past several days

of gefs and more recently the sref trends for a substantial winter

weather event.

Please reference the NCEP discussions on model choice...winter weather and

quantitative precipitation forecast.

Essentially... we will be in the developing comma head of a Gulf

Coast intensifying short wave that lifts NE into a compact closed

low through the middle Atlantic coast that has deformation zone banding on

the southeast edge of the deeper relative humidity ..looks unstable aloft in that region

per GFS.. for late Wednesday aftn/evening. That could mean decent snowfall

rates of an inch or so an hour in an area that will have less than

1 inch of frozen water equivalent quantitative precipitation forecast.

The i95 region looks like a mess with rain/sleet and some snow

changing to all snow as the low pulls away in the evening.

Looks like all snow /possibly a prd of sleet mix/ from somewhere

near kukt north and west....certainly Allentown north and west.

Southeast New Jersey and southeast 2/3rds del should be mostly rain with maybe a little

ice at the start near dawn Wednesday and maybe a 0.5 to 3 inch

event snow event in the backlash comma head rotating south behind

the departing low Wednesday evening.

thats been there since 415pm, been posted here already.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure why everyone is bashing Upton or CBS mets because they are conservative right now. 18z was one model run. The 0z run of the NAM/GFS/Euro are huge tonight. Thats where first forecasts will be based upon plus tomorrow 12z runs. Why go bullish right now and then have to backtrack if the 0z runs have pulled back. Mets are right now to flip flop with every model run

no one is basing their comments of of what the 18z models showed. The 12z Uk/Euro/GGEM all have meaningful borderline significant back end snows for the region. With the Euro almost 0.7 in qpf as snow for NYC. I'd say thats significant. I don't have a problem with being conservative but at least mention the possibility.

not sure why everyone is bashing Upton or CBS mets because they are conservative right now. 18z was one model run. The 0z run of the NAM/GFS/Euro are huge tonight. Thats where first forecasts will be based upon plus tomorrow 12z runs. Why go bullish right now and then have to backtrack if the 0z runs have pulled back. Mets are right now to flip flop with every model run

I can understand Upton but CBS? It won't snow because it will be 40 on Wednseday? Really? How can you even begin to defend that? That's not being conservative that's just plain stupid.

I can understand Upton but CBS? It won't snow because it will be 40 on Wednseday? Really? How can you even begin to defend that? That's not being conservative that's just plain stupid.

Exactly and it is comments like that that anger people in the general public and gets people fired because of being too one sided and then busting miserably whether the one-sidedness be in favor or not in favor of snow. See March 2001.

Exactly and it is comments like that that anger people in the general public and gets people fired because of being too one sided and then busting miserably whether it be in favor or not in favor of snow. See March 2001.

and you can be damn sure that if you busted the other way real bad to the point where the public was put in danger they'd be canned as well....

edit: i think we're in agreement lol I didn't see that you said one side or the other. But ya thats why it pays to lay out the possibilities without using language that scares the public, unless of course it's necessary

Latest Wxsim module/program based off 18z data continues the trend toward more significant snow and ice for the NW Philly burbs - total snow and sleet totals are forecasted to be in the 7" to 9" range...temps do not get above 31 degrees. Here is the breakdown

Light Sleet during the day...little accumulation by eve rush

Heavy IP toward rush hour temp 29.8

Heavy Snow by 830pm continuing through midnight

Total Snow and IP accumulation in the 7 to 9" range

and you can be damn sure that if you busted the other way real bad to the point where the public was put in danger they'd be canned as well....

edit: i think we're in agreement lol I didn't see that you said one side or the other. But ya thats why it pays to lay out the possibilities without using language that scares the public, unless of course it's necessary

Lol, sorry about that, just realized it sounded better when I added the extra one-sided, lol. Someone who is reporting to the masses should always leave the door open for multiple possibilities and if they don't they just setting themselves up for trouble down the road come verification time.

Latest Wxsim module/program based off 18z data continues the trend toward more significant snow and ice for the NW Philly burbs - total snow and sleet totals are forecasted to be in the 7" to 9" range...temps do not get above 31 degrees. Here is the breakdown

Light Sleet during the day...little accumulation by eve rush

Heavy IP toward rush hour temp 29.8

Heavy Snow by 830pm continuing through midnight

Total Snow and IP accumulation in the 7 to 9" range

You know Paul, if we add 7-9" of sleet and snow to this snow pack, we're going to start challenging 93-94 pretty soon. I've never seen a snowpack so diverse and solid due to the variety of events and persistent cold that year.

Can we please keep the TV met convo out of this thread. I could really care less what the blonde chick on ch 11 is saying.......if the forcast is right or wrong....we all can make our final conclusions off this board and the models we look out. I have not watch tv met forcast in years......the mets on this board are the ones i care to get a opion froms

amen....arguing about media outlet predictions and OCM should be here...

Hi Greg,

Agree...it sounds like little chance of any prolonged warm ups....to say this has been an unexpected wintery winter would be an understatement!

Take care,

Paul

You know Paul, if we add 7-9" of sleet and snow to this snow pack, we're going to start challenging 93-94 pretty soon. I've never seen a snowpack so diverse and solid due to the variety of events and persistent cold that year.

Archived