• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/Tri-State Area OBS and Disco

earthlight

There is some good news though, the pattern aloft looks decent for a snow event next week. While things may not be as cold as previously forecast, the blocking is going to be very strong, probably west based, and we will have a 50/50 type low in place.

So we may have a shot at some snow for the next 10 days even though the Pacific isn't great by any means, the Atlantic will be ideal.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some good news though, the pattern aloft looks decent for a snow event next week. While things may not be as cold as previously forecast, the blocking is going to be very strong, probably west based, and we will have a 50/50 type low in place.

So we may have a shot at some snow for the next 10 days even though the Pacific isn't great by any means, the Atlantic will be ideal.

Here's an idea, let's wait for some verification. lol scooter.gif

Here's an idea, let's wait for some verification. lol  scooter.gif

Here's an idea-- lets drop a nuke on the weather channel.  Some weaklings in the deep south might think this is cold-- but it isnt that cold.  I've had enough of their bitching about the cold.  I'm used to the weather already.

Quite possible given H85 temps of only -10 especially since jetski says the pattern isn't as cold.

:weight_lift: lol ... oh... I get it now... we are mixing that H85 -10 temp down through the crust of the earth, through some geyser, and then it shoots back up again through a volcano and warms additionally through downsloping down the volcano and into the valleys..

Took me a bit to figure out how that one works.

just fyi 12z euro has 2m temps in the mid to upper 20s for highs in the cities tues and wed, thats what 15-20 degrees below normal?

Yeah, normal high is in the low 40s.  I dont know how "rare" this is-- especially considering we've seen highs below freezing in early April before (like once every few years), so early December cant really be considered a huge departure. And technically it's mid December now.

Yeah, normal high is in the low 40s. I dont know how "rare" this is-- especially considering we've seen highs below freezing in early April before (like once every few years), so early December cant really be considered a huge departure. And technically it's mid December now.

It's not rare. NYC, LGA, and JFK all average close to four days in December with highs at or below 32. I can't call something that happens four times every December rare. It is remarkable though. For cold, it seems that anything more than 12 degrees departure is remarkable to me since real cold around here is hard to come by anymore.

radar echos over me all day and I managed 5 flakes.. lol

Here is why. This pic is of the OKX RAOB from this AM. Note all the dry air up to 700mb, then the moisture above that. Because there is not heavy precip rates ongoing here, it won't promote a lot of moistening of the low levels to erode the dry air. Essentially, you're getting flurries falling from a mid level cloud deck. IR satellite and obs are showing lower clouds moving in from the west now so that is likely why some places are actually getting snow showers instead of flurries starting this evening as another short wave trof moves thru.

post-736-0-47795300-1292020426.gif

Archived