• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NYC/Tri-State Area OBS and Disco

earthlight

Come on now...let's not wishcast the cold..I know the 850's are -20 but come on... 50? keep ridiculous posts like these in OT...this isnt the Northeast US in December..we are talking about Newark here.

So any stabs at what KNYC ends up at departure wise for the month? It would be epically horrible if we somehow come in any less than -2.0

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So any stabs at what KNYC ends up at departure wise for the month? It would be epically horrible if we somehow come in any less than -2.0

I went with -1 to -2 in my winter outlook but have a feeling I'll be too warm. Cold looks to moderate after this next shot, but still below normal.

I went with -1 to -2 in my winter outlook but have a feeling I'll be too warm. Cold looks to moderate after this next shot, but still below normal.

I'll be too warm as well, and I don't think we're going to moderate much. We'll see a couple days with highs in the upper 20s, briefly touch 35-38 or so for a few days, and then go back into the freezer as a 1060mb polar high builds into Canada. Very blocky pattern releasing tons of cold air but the storm track is not getting it done. I was subbing today and went out to the car to grab the lunch I'd bagged in just a sweater, and I was freezing. High of 31.6F near midnight, stayed in the 20s in the afternoon with some brief -SN/flurries

Maybe I'll get into it just a bit. I'm sure southern Westchester residents (part of the aforemetioned zone) are delighted that there are (or at least were) about 6 stations in NYC (Central Park, JFK, LGA, NY Laurel Hill, Staten island Westerleigh, and NY Ave V Brooklyn) while Westchester boasted Dobbs Ferry. What the need was for five or six stations on the Twin Forks of L.I. is beyond me. All the other stations are on thre South Shore, except for Setauket Strong, who hasn't reported any snowfall since about 1948 (despite rumors to the contrary) and Centerport, which, in fairness, is a pretty decent station but has only been in operation for about 7 years.

I'm proud to be from Dobbs Ferry, then. It's a pretty quality station although my house is slightly snowier and colder being at 350' elevation whereas the co-op is in the more developed downtown area I believe at lower elevation.

The point I'm making (in case it was missed) was that when the averages are done, the one Westchester station is badly outweighed by 6 in NYC, though NYC certainly does not cover 6 times as much real estate as southern Westchester.

I understand, was just kidding around. We don't have many stations around here unfortunately but at least Dobbs Ferry has been a good one historically.

Freezing Rain Advisory:

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-
NORTHERN NEW LONDON-WESTERN PASSAIC-WESTERN BERGEN-ORANGE-PUTNAM-
ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-
347 PM EST SAT DEC 11 2010

...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM
EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A FREEZING RAIN
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 9 AM EST
SUNDAY.

* LOCATIONS...INTERIOR PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...THE
 LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND INTERIOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN
 CONNECTICUT.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...IN GENERAL...TRACE AMOUNTS OF ICE ACCRETIONS
 ARE EXPECTED WITH A FEW HUNDREDTHS OF AN INCH OF ICE POSSIBLE IN
 ORANGE COUNTY.

* IMPACTS...TREACHEROUS AND ICY DRIVING CONDITIONS EXPECTED LATE
 TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

* TIMING...FREEZING RAIN WILL BEGIN AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT AND
 CONTINUE THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES THIS EVENING WILL DROP INTO THE
 UPPER 20S TO AROUND 30...AND WILL SLOWLY RISE ABOVE FREEZING
 SUNDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN OR
FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS. SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

Rad cooling working nice. Clear skies and calm wind has dropped it down to 27.0 as of 10:00. Forcast low IMBY is for 29 tonite.

Well just to let everyone know, it was 37 here. Now that we have clouded over, it's 41. You still might not get much FZRA, and there isn't going to be much evapo cooling.

What a completely blown forecast for early next week, we were supposed to see highs in the low 20s for three days and lows in the lower teens if not single digits, now we will be able freezing for pretty much every day except Tuesday and lows will not even enter the teens. Not to mention highs on the warmest day, Sunday were only supposed to get into the mid 40s, now it's upper 50s. The models missed the boat big time with this event.

Archived