amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/Tri-State Area OBS and Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

today reminds me of 12/17/2000...we were on the warm side of a storm for the second time in a week...After the second storm we went into a prolonged cold spell with the models showing a bomb for a week or so before it became realty on the 30th...I wish every December 12th was 1960 but not today...

From the afternoon package on the blog...

http://nymetrowx.blogspot.com/p/forecast-discussion.html

Long Term

Several winter concerns in this range, the first of them being the potential for light snow at the end of the week. Most models are rather mundane with the shortwave development across the Central United States, with the Polar Vortex lifting into Southeast Canada or Northern New England. Surface low pressure development is favored across the Mid-Atlantic with the potential for Light QPF from DC to PHL and possibly into our area as well. We didn't include pops at the current time--but we may have to introduce them eventually, especially with the GEFS and SREF means showing measurable QPF into our area by Thursday or Friday.

Beyond this, the Polar Vortex lifts north and elongates west to east with tremendous blocking developing towards Greenland and Western Canada. With the active pacific jet and plenty of shortwaves heading east through the CONUS, the potential is higher than usual for a Polar Vortex phase on the East Coast, and cyclogenesis off the coastal plain, whether it be earlier in the time period (Day 5-7, as the ECMWF hints) or later in the time period (Days 9-10). Plenty of spread at this range, but we see enough reason to note it here in the discussion. Not included in hazards or text forecast at this time.

Just drove home on LI's North Shore from Stony Brook to Miller Place and flooding is easily worst since March last year, and persistence and relentlessness of downpours is notable. Roads like North Country in Port Jeff are ponds. I'll take cold and dry like last week over this.

I suspect the water will still be there when everything freezes up later tomorrow and it will be like a skating rink.

I suspect the water will still be there when everything freezes up later tomorrow and it will be like a skating rink.

I'm curious about how quick it'll freeze up but there's lotsa lakes around. I'm on a sod farm and in 1994 after the ice storm folks were skating on it. We're not getting that cold BUT there is an amazing amount of rain put down today.I'm curious about totals

Archived