amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NYC/Tri-State Area OBS and Disco

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still in the mid 40's here as it has been all day. Clouds moved in about an hour ago and completely capped the sun which was warming things up.

Feels like winter....almost smells like snow.

:weenie:

Actually, the same feeling up here. Some evaporational cooling from low td air passing over the ocean. 37.5F

Actually, the same feeling up here. Some evaporational cooling from low td air passing over the ocean. 37.5F

Only a few weeks away from the real fun starting. Lets hope the 12z GFS has a clue...this would be a pretty exciting cold frontal passage. That shortwave is really strong..and check out the -12 C 850 temps over OH.

I think the storm threat in Early Dec has some teeth..but we need the Pac to cooperate.

Still in the mid 40's here as it has been all day. Clouds moved in about an hour ago and completely capped the sun which was warming things up.

Feels like winter....almost smells like snow.

I tell ya its that really dry dewpoint that makes it feel like winter... and smell like snow. Interesting set up here overnight as temps will probably rise some after midnight with SE flow really kicking in as the high shifts offshore. Im sure the metro will bust out of any low clouds Tuesday to really warm ya up but the Island may stay socked in.

Only a few weeks away from the real fun starting. Lets hope the 12z GFS has a clue...this would be a pretty exciting cold frontal passage. That shortwave is really strong..and check out the -12 C 850 temps over OH.

I think the storm threat in Early Dec has some teeth..but we need the Pac to cooperate.

The 12/1 timeframe is being signaled on the euro too. Verbatim, it tracks a little too close for comfort, but lets just be happy we have some chances coming up. I think people need to realize that we could very well have a couple of more "warmer" type storms in the future, but also be happy that the nao block and mutliple s/w's coming from the Plains will give us chances. Will and I discussed in the sne threads, that you gotta be happy with the chances coming up, but the details just can't be determined.

The 12/1 timeframe is being signaled on the euro too. Verbatim, it tracks a little too close for comfort, but lets just be happy we have some chances coming up. I think people need to realize that we could very well have a couple of more "warmer" type storms in the future, but also be happy that the nao block and mutliple s/w's coming from the Plains will give us chances. Will and I discussed in the sne threads, that you gotta be happy with the chances coming up, but the details just can't be determined.

Its all about the broad setup at this point...and the signals are good. I pasted the link to the 10 day Euro height departures..the block is insane. The GFS is less enthused and more east-based..but as you said the chances will show up eventually. The Pac is def. going to be a wild card in this set up..but the NAO does it's job to make everything a little "easier" if the Euro is correct. Can you imagine where we would be without the -NAO that's forecast? With the -PNA we would have people jumping off bridges already..especially with the forecast as it is for mid-winter warmth.

I tell ya its that really dry dewpoint that makes it feel like winter... and smell like snow. Interesting set up here overnight as temps will probably rise some after midnight with SE flow really kicking in as the high shifts offshore. Im sure the metro will bust out of any low clouds Tuesday to really warm ya up but the Island may stay socked in.

You're right on target...most short range guidance brings surface temps up 2-5 degrees overnight tonight wtih the winds turning southeast. By tomorrow afternoon and especially Tuesday afternoon...the winds are actually south and southwest in the warm sector. All joking aside I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the usually warmer areas get into the mid 60's.

You're right on target...most short range guidance brings surface temps up 2-5 degrees overnight tonight wtih the winds turning southeast. By tomorrow afternoon and especially Tuesday afternoon...the winds are actually south and southwest in the warm sector. All joking aside I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the usually warmer areas get into the mid 60's.

Yep I am thinking the same. This will last two days though as it looks like now another damming high will set up before the main arctic front moves through sometime around turkey day so even though mid level ridging goes through the roof, a cool surface high will usher in cooler air before we will warm up yet again before the front passage.

Its all about the broad setup at this point...and the signals are good. I pasted the link to the 10 day Euro height departures..the block is insane. The GFS is less enthused and more east-based..but as you said the chances will show up eventually. The Pac is def. going to be a wild card in this set up..but the NAO does it's job to make everything a little "easier" if the Euro is correct. Can you imagine where we would be without the -NAO that's forecast? With the -PNA we would have people jumping off bridges already..especially with the forecast as it is for mid-winter warmth.

Yep, just appreciate how it looks, and hopefully one of these pans out. We probably would be in Bermuda shorts if it weren't for the block to our ne.

Yep I am thinking the same. This will last two days though as it looks like now another damming high will set up before the main arctic front moves through sometime around turkey day so even though mid level ridging goes through the roof, a cool surface high will usher in cooler air before we will warm up yet again before the front passage.

The arctic front you're speaking of has my interest...the GFS has been pretty robust with it for a few days. If it's correct and 850 temps get below -10C in PA...that would be some pretty fresh winter air around here.

The arctic front you're speaking of has my interest...the GFS has been pretty robust with it for a few days. If it's correct and 850 temps get below -10C in PA...that would be some pretty fresh winter air around here.

Ive taken notice to it also and think most MOS guidance are way to warm with the air right now which happens when there is a low level arctic airmass. I am actually flying out of ISLIP wednesday morning to head south for the holiday so obviously I am keeping an eye on the weather closely

Ive taken notice to it also and think most MOS guidance are way to warm with the air right now which happens when there is a low level arctic airmass. I am actually flying out of ISLIP wednesday morning to head south for the holiday so obviously I am keeping an eye on the weather closely

it looks like we never get all that cold after thanksgiving... one day of h85 temps near -10c with moderation after that

If the Euro is correct and the extent of the NAO block does come to fruition..the cold would be sustained for a while. All speculation at this point.

Meanwhile 43.2/28 and overcast. We've stopped dropping and I suspect we're going to rise as the SE wind gets going.

Archived