Newest Member
    amirah5
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya. Great storm 20 inches here :thumbsup:

I was about to post a :huh: but then I remember that a swath from Milton to Mississauga did indeed pick up that much snow. Lucky sob. I would love to know what that much snow looks like. Only 13.3" here.

You might not remember this one, but back on January 26-27, 2004 south Etobicoke/Mississauga/east Oakville picked up 18-24" of snow. And again, myself just to the north got relatively screwed with only a foot.

I was about to post a :huh: but then I remember that a swath from Milton to Mississauga did indeed pick up that much snow. Lucky sob. I would love to know what that much snow looks like. Only 13.3" here.

You might not remember this one, but back on January 26-27, 2004 south Etobicoke/Mississauga/east Oakville picked up 18-24" of snow. And again, myself just to the north got relatively screwed with only a foot.

Well I was shocked that morning to wake up to that much snow. The drifts were incredible half way up my garage. If I remember correctly we had the second part of the storm move through later in the day on top of the 50cm from the first wave. Definitetly one of the greatest storms that I can remember here lots of thunder too.

Well I was shocked that morning to wake up to that much snow. The drifts were incredible half way up my garage. If I remember correctly we had the second part of the storm move through later in the day on top of the 50cm from the first wave. Definitetly one of the greatest storms that I can remember here lots of thunder too.

No, that was the total between the two. The first wave's snow fell between midnight and 4.30am. No way you had 4-5"/hour rates for the duration. I think I have the GWS from EC saved. If I can dig it up I'll post it.

I remember the 2004 storm. It was a narrow LES band right? School wasnt cancelled for us because it only hit the very south part of mississauga

No, that was the total between the two. The first wave's snow fell between midnight and 4.30am. No way you had 4-5"/hour rates for the duration. I think I have the GWS from EC saved. If I can dig it up I'll post it.

Hmmm I remembered incorrectly then lol It wouldnt surprise me if I had 4-5" rates because we had intense thunder and lightning so.........

I remember the 2004 storm. It was a narrow LES band right? School wasnt cancelled for us because it only hit the very south part of mississauga

Yes. The band stalled during the pre-dawn hours of the 26th from Mimico to Mississauga to east Oakville. I remember looking at whiteouts on the MTO cameras at 427/Rathburn and 403/Eastgate while only the occasional flake would fly by here. I was so upset (although it was probably for the best as I had a high school exam that morning). The band moved north later in the morning but by then the heaviest snow had been dropped.

Hmmm I remembered incorrectly then lol It wouldnt surprise me if I had 4-5" rates because we had intense thunder and lightning so.........

4-5"/hour rates are almost unheard of here. I mean, if we get 2/hour rates, that's a solid day's work. Maybe at its peak (either early in the morning, or in the early evening with the 2nd wave) the rates may have briefly touched 4/hour, but not sustained by any means. It's tough to do that in the Tug Hill with LES.

4-5"/hour rates are almost unheard of here. I mean, if we get 2/hour rates, that's a solid day's work. Maybe at its peak (either early in the morning, or in the early evening with the 2nd wave) the rates may have briefly touched 4/hour, but not sustained by any means. It's tough to do that in the Tug Hill with LES.

IDK All I know is that it was a great storm.

This morning's 2.1" brings us to over 53" for the season, which is about 7-8" more than last season's total. Couldn't ask for a better winter for snow around here.

Today will be the last day we'll be up around freezing for at least 6-7 days. Looks pretty cold this week, with a few double digit below zero readings possible mid-week. Our 18"+ snowpack isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

2011020600_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

Been a strong signal for warming after this weeks run through the freezer... Lets hope the models are right. The GFS is downright mild through late month after this next week. I doubt we seen anything extremely warm with all the snow, but some melting would go towards preventing a huge flood somewhere up this way in March/April.

Yes. Tough to get cold air to flood the continent with -PNA unless you've got a -NAO.

More to this point, I've noticed the last couple of GFS runs are starting to back off on the magnitude of the warmth across the eastern Lakes. If -NAO returns to negative next week (especially if it's a west based NAO), I could see quite the gradient setup across our region, with the warmest anomalies found SW of a MSP-ORD-CVG line.

Awesome out there with all the deep snow. Bomb or not, this winter gets an "A" in my book!

As far as sensible wx is concerned (not patterns) this winter seems analogous to 2004-05. On pace for above normal snowfall, but no big storms. Snowcover is a little more persistent and temps are a little colder this winter, but not by a huge margin.

Assuming Feb-Mar maintains the continuity, I'd say we're on target for a B winter. Good, but not exceptional.

More to this point, I've noticed the last couple of GFS runs are starting to back off on the magnitude of the warmth across the eastern Lakes. If -NAO returns to negative next week (especially if it's a west based NAO), I could see quite the gradient setup across our region, with the warmest anomalies found SW of a MSP-ORD-CVG line.

very concerned aboutr the upcoming pattern, will be rooting for neg NAO lol

Archived