Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barring a torch, weve hit the point of no return lol. Anything that falls from the sky will make the snowpack last longer. Had to do a core sample. It was fricking hard work lol. The snowpack is so dense/deep, and the ground SO frozen, Once I scooped out the snow I had to literally chip at the bottom layer of ice crust to get it all into the can to melt. Its to the point that even a 45F rainstorm will simply soak into the snowpack. Sure it would sink some and certainly lose some of its gorgeous appeal, but adding water to it (currently melting but Im guessing ~1.4" water content) it would soak into it like a sponge making it even more glacial and harder to melt.

OF COURSE I want more snow not 45F rain, just giving an example that worst case scenario is we wont be seeing grass for a LONG time, and best case scenario is we may start to resemble a U.P. snowbelt if the extended works out. wub.gif

On another note on snowpack, we have officially passed average 1"+ snowcover days for an ENTIRE winter at 50 days at DTW (official avg 49). 41 to go for the 1977-78 record

18 inches of snow can melt in 3 days ......a couple days of mid 40s dewpoints and fog to soften up the pack, then a inch soaker low 40s rain to wash it all away

RUC, NAM. GEM, GFS all agree tonight for a swatch of 2-3 inches in my area....models are stronger with the mid level vort and put out decent lift in the DGZ.

STL NWS has taken notice and has investigated.

Looking much better for accumulating snows here late tonight and tomorrow am.

http://ruc.noaa.gov/disp2.cgi?/w3/rapb/plots_13km_backup/.//+radar+am+24

Not sure if it's the NAM being the NAM, but the 12z run looks much more "interesting" for KY, central/southern IN, and OH for tonight and tomorrow's action. Nothing extraordinary at all, but a decent swath of 0.1"+ for the above areas with KY in the 0.25" shading.

Yeah, quite the drastic shift in the precip shield. Looks like LAF will be riding near the edge but the available 12z runs suggest about an inch or a little more may be possible.

Went from having barely enough snow to snowmobile on to having literally to much snow without a mountain sled. Get down to where we were going to dump our sleds off this am and not even a single track on the trails yet and the POW is 3 to 4' deep.. Trails along field edges have drifts 6-12' high and extend a good 75 yards out. Road crossings are up to 7' wall rock banks. Guess we'll have to head north where there is a little less snow and the groomers can get out.. Winds out of the SW pretty strong have really whipped up the drifts in the other direction now.. Simply jaw dropping out there.

Went from having barely enough snow to snowmobile on to having literally to much snow without a mountain sled. Get down to where we were going to dump our sleds off this am and not even a single track on the trails yet and the POW is 3 to 4' deep.. Trails along field edges have drifts 6-12' high and extend a good 75 yards out. Road crossings are up to 7' wall rock banks. Guess we'll have to head north where there is a little less snow and the groomers can get out.. Winds out of the SW pretty strong have really whipped up the drifts in the other direction now.. Simply jaw dropping out there.

it is beautiful isnt it? :wub:

18 inches of snow can melt in 3 days ......a couple days of mid 40s dewpoints and fog to soften up the pack, then a inch soaker low 40s rain to wash it all away

Yeah Ive seen some quick melts, I was just thinking with the ground so frozen, a lot of water in the snowpack, and decent potential in the extended, were sitting good for a while. Mustve picked a bad spot for my core sample, came up with almost 2". I think the avg is about 1.5".

February snowmobiling better in S MI/WI than much of northern WI/MI :lmao:

2 roof collapses due to snow and ice buildup in Indiana the past two days. Isht just got real with this winter.

Yesterday in Crown Point: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/crown-point/article_20170b2e-70c6-522a-ba97-27d7a22ac503.html

Today in Noblesville: http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/hamilton_county/noblesville-companys-roof-collapses

Archived