Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granted the storm early next week is looking better at this stage, but I'm going on record that the bulk of February will be rocking for a lot of this region. Indices continue to be taking on the look of a different pattern (less blocky), which we're already in quite frankly. There may be some warm solutions thrown in for some at times, but sit tight and get ready folks. Good stuff coming.

Granted the storm early next week is looking better at this stage, but I'm going on record that the bulk of February will be rocking for a lot of this region. Indices continue to be taking on the look of a different pattern (less blocky), which we're already in quite frankly. There may be some warm solutions thrown in for some at times, but sit tight and get ready folks. Good stuff coming.

I'd have to agree and with a juiced up Pacific and overall height/pattern flow configuration change, things are definitely looking better.

I'd have to agree and with a juiced up Pacific and overall height/pattern flow configuration change, things are definitely looking better.

This is one of the few times that I am actually going against Don Sutherland whom I respect immensley. With the NAO looking to charge positive, and the AO, which harder to predict sure seems like it wants to go positive suggests that the nina may in fact take control and if the SE ridge sticks it's head out then no more suppression and perhaps a hyper active 6 week pattern may start to unfold but not untill after the 15th. I can see if, and that's if the pattern I think unfolds then most of March should stay wet, cold, and very active. The only wildcard is stratospheric warming, hard to predict but should it occur much like it did in Jan than it will overcome the nina and the status quo resumes. Intersting winter this year, not the greatest for here, but it could have been a lot worse, still about 50% of the seasonal average in snowfall yet to come.

I don't really troll people but come March 1, I might just have to dig your post back up and have at it. :)

:whistle:

:guitar:

For reference, if the Feb 1/2 storm avoids much mixing, could be my biggest storm since I began measuring imby

Since I began measuring imby, here are season totals and biggest storm that season.

Winter...total...biggest storm

2010-11: 27.2"...6.3" so far

2009-10: 46.1"...8.0"

2008-09: 64.8"...8.2"

2007-08: 78.2"...10.3"

2006-07: 36.3"...8.5"

2005-06: 41.9"...6.8"

2004-05: 82.1"...11.0"

2003-04: 38.0"...5.9"

2002-03: 69.0"...11.5"

2001-02: 43.1"...9.5"

2000-01: 47.3"...6.4"

1999-00: 29.3"...5.0"

1998-99: 52.1"...12.0"

1997-98: 27.2"...5.0"

1996-97: 35.9"...4.5"

1995-96: 31.3"...7.0"

As we got another nice snowstorm (but once again failed to hit epic), I just realized WOW have things already turned around the last month. We have had over 28" of snow in the last 4 weeks, our snowpack is deep and firm, and the month ahead looks fun. I like this very much!!

ALSO...we have had 49 days with 1"+ snowcover, which is normal for an ENTIRE winter, and we now have a 13" snowpack with 1.5" watercontent. Could we be challenging 1977-78 for whitest winter since snowcover data began in the 1890s? That winter had 91 days with 1"+ snowcover at DTW.

Unlike some, I really LOVE this winter!

As we got another nice snowstorm (but once again failed to hit epic), I just realized WOW have things already turned around the last month. We have had over 28" of snow in the last 4 weeks, our snowpack is deep and firm, and the month ahead looks fun. I like this very much!!

ALSO...we have had 49 days with 1"+ snowcover, which is normal for an ENTIRE winter, and we now have a 13" snowpack with 1.5" watercontent. Could we be challenging 1977-78 for whitest winter since snowcover data began in the 1890s? That winter had 91 days with 1"+ snowcover at DTW.

Unlike some, I really LOVE this winter!

you and your snowpack. You need to move up to the upper midwest it still boggles my mind. Since mid november we've hit above 32 for about an hour or 2 and we have about 2-3 feet of snow on the ground all winter. It's your winter dream snow builds up all winter then melts in the spring.

Archived