• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

you and your snowpack. You need to move up to the upper midwest it still boggles my mind. Since mid november we've hit above 32 for about an hour or 2 and we have about 2-3 feet of snow on the ground all winter. It's your winter dream snow builds up all winter then melts in the spring.

Yeah to me snowcover is important. ideal place for me would be snowbelt in the UP lol, but movings not an option right now (and even I dont know if id move somewhere JUST for weather). Your area is great but the cold can be so brutal at times, and while you get awesome storms, you dont have snow in the air as often as the U.P. Yes, Im that greedy lol (even here we only had 5 days in the last 5 weeks with no snow in the air at some point).

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit -13 here, which was about as forecast. Looks like MLI dropped to at least -17.

This snow pack is very dense for having relatively high ratios during the blizzard. I think the wind really packed it in pretty good. Our 10" from the superclipper settled like crazy over the next day or two. So far it doesn't look like there's been any settling at all. Definitely a very high quality snow pack which is gonna be around for a long time. Estimating we have about 18" or so on the ground.

This will be awesome for flooding potential in the Spring...

Yeah and a lot of us are expecting a big severe weather season this year up this way, and with severe weather comes heavy rains. I think anyone who lives in Iowa will remember 2008 and how that played out.

OMG, today was perfect!!!

While a little chilly, you simply couldn't beat the cloudless sky and the bright sunshine reflecting off the snowpack. We had a gorugeous sunrise this morning and we're poised to have a gorgeous sunset from the looks of it.

I'm so glad the lakes are starting to freeze over, otherwise we would have had to contend with the ugly lake stratus.

OMG, today was perfect!!!

While a little chilly, you simply couldn't beat the cloudless sky and the bright sunshine reflecting off the snowpack. We had a gorugeous sunrise this morning and we're poised to have a gorgeous sunset from the looks of it.

I'm so glad the lakes are starting to freeze over, otherwise we would have had to contend with the ugly lake stratus.

hurts my eyes

Barring a torch, weve hit the point of no return lol. Anything that falls from the sky will make the snowpack last longer. Had to do a core sample. It was fricking hard work lol. The snowpack is so dense/deep, and the ground SO frozen, Once I scooped out the snow I had to literally chip at the bottom layer of ice crust to get it all into the can to melt. Its to the point that even a 45F rainstorm will simply soak into the snowpack. Sure it would sink some and certainly lose some of its gorgeous appeal, but adding water to it (currently melting but Im guessing ~1.4" water content) it would soak into it like a sponge making it even more glacial and harder to melt.

OF COURSE I want more snow not 45F rain, just giving an example that worst case scenario is we wont be seeing grass for a LONG time, and best case scenario is we may start to resemble a U.P. snowbelt if the extended works out. wub.gif

On another note on snowpack, we have officially passed average 1"+ snowcover days for an ENTIRE winter at 50 days at DTW (official avg 49). 41 to go for the 1977-78 record

LAF has broken into the top 10 snowiest seasons list. Sleet helped the cause with this last storm, but it still counts. :lol: Of course this is unofficial as there is no "official" recording site for snowfall at LAF, but this is based off my reanalysis of past COOP data in the LAF/WL area (some dating back to 1901)...as well as my measurements for the 07-08 and current season. At this point, I really like our chances of getting into the top 5 when all is said and done.

1) 68.1"...1977-78

2) 61.5"...1981-82

3) 56.4"...1904-05

4) 53.8"...1903-04

5) 49.3"...1983-84

6) 47.8"...2007-08

7) 46.3"...1929-30

8) 43.8"...1911-12

9) 43.0"...1925-26

10) 41.1"...2010-11

Peoria IL now standing at #5 on the all time snowiest season list. Have to think this season becoming #1 is fairly likely.

1) 51.6"...1978-79

2) 47.1"...1977-78

3) 46.9"...1981-82

4) 44.0"...1925-26

5) 43.4"...2010-11

6) 42.4"...1942-43

7) 42.3"...1974-75

8) 41.6"...1959-60

9) 41.5"...2009-10

10) 37.7"...1969-70

Not sure if it's the NAM being the NAM, but the 12z run looks much more "interesting" for KY, central/southern IN, and OH for tonight and tomorrow's action. Nothing extraordinary at all, but a decent swath of 0.1"+ for the above areas with KY in the 0.25" shading.

It looks as if another gourgeous day is on tap. There was a gorugeous sunrise and clear skies are dominatining again.

I was a bit shocked to see a sharp line between sunny and cloudy skies stretching from Grand Rapids to Flint to Toronto. It's been slowly easing southward overnight, but I pray it stops and begins to erode before reaching us down here.

20110204_1415_DTW_vis.jpg

It looks as if another gourgeous day is on tap. There was a gorugeous sunrise and clear skies are dominatining again.

I was a bit shocked to see a sharp line between sunny and cloudy skies stretching from Grand Rapids to Flint to Toronto. It's been slowly easing southward overnight, but I pray it stops and begins to erode before reaching us down here.

20110204_1415_DTW_vis.jpg

is that ice over S LM that was pushed NNE with the 50-70 MPH winds for hours with the blizzard? if so, the ice flows looks about 30 miles wide

Snow depth through the winter here in southeast minnesota has been amazingly consistent this winter as well as in most of minnesota. Just not very many melting days. It was really interesting yesterday I had my 8th grade students measuring frost depths and in certain spots there was hardly any frost at all even though we have such a chilly winter just goes to show how good of a blanket that snow is.

Archived