• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

Figured I'd get this started in case any long range fantasy storms show up. :lol:

What will the month hold? Using moderate/strong Ninas that more closely resemble what has been going on this winter, a prominent hobbyist is throwing out some old time analogs like 1873, 1904, 1910 and 1917. I think it's hard to go against a colder than average month at this point for most of the region.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who have more knowledge than me. Traditionally I thought, a La Nina meant that the US was likely looking at a SE ridge being present, that hasn't really been the case thus far and models don't really show it happening in the longer range either. Any particular reason for this?

I think it's been mitigated by the chronic -NAO regime.

Well Im hoping so. Since October Ive been touting February all along as being THE month!

I admit i will be amazed if this call of your pans out considering how active last Feb was and knowing that typically of the winter months Feb is the least active especially with the big events in these parts.

I admit i will be amazed if this call of your pans out considering how active last Feb was and knowing that typically of the winter months Feb is the least active especially with the big events in these parts.

Yeah gonna be hard to top last Feb, 28.5" imby, 27.0" at DTW...but what the heck, we had two low-snow marches in a row, why not two blockbuster February's? Last Feb we had 3 big snowstorms imby (8.0, 7.7, 5.6) and several more small ones.

Now, the way weve been nickel/diming along, should that continue with the cold, an above average is very likely with or without a big storm. January doesnt seem impressive, but it is already above normal with more snow before months end. Im thinking a big storm is coming, but we will see.

It's still a ways out in model land, but here's the AO, NAO, and PNA ensemble forecasts as we enter February. As seen with the first image, the AO is the hardest of the 3 to predict. Still, it seems we could be entering a pattern that is somewhat like November or even late October. If the ensembles are correct, those that are hoping for the December pattern to NOT repeat, look to be in luck. Of course as I said, look at the mean errors and make your own best educated guess.

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

pna.sprd2.gif

It's still a ways out in model land, but here's the AO, NAO, and PNA ensemble forecasts as we enter February. As seen with the first image, the AO is the hardest of the 3 to predict. Still, it seems we could be entering a pattern that is somewhat like November or even late October. If the ensembles are correct, those that are hoping for the December pattern to NOT repeat, look to be in luck. Of course as I said, look at the mean errors and make your own best educated guess.

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

pna.sprd2.gif

I'll take my chances with a pattern like October/November over the one we had in December.

Hello, wouldn't Feb figure to take on a more typical nina pattern? What I'm referencing is that so far this winter the stratosphere warming has been off the charts, and the SE ridge has been all but non existent. I can see a more nina-ish pattern emerging after the 10th with modifying temps, but also a more stormy and potentially snowy pattern once the SE ridge flexes it's muscle. I keep hearing JB mention a relaxation around mid month, is he suggesting a torch or solid thaw at that time? I do not have the accu pro so this is off other sites and not verified by me. I do think that the GL, the western parts are due to get into a hyper active pattern of storminess around that time and run into March.

Anyone else think the stratosphere warming may have played a role in the winter first half? Just a hunch by me.

I think we should just go ahead and rename this thread to Winter Cancel with the subtitle, Who give's a crap anymore?

Thinking that has some merit.

I think we are stuck in the current pattern for the forseeable future. If the SE ridge builds in for Feb to start shoving storms up this way, it will do it just in time to send us a bunch of sloppy mix events. February is not an "all snow" month in these parts. In fact starting in late Feb we usually see a decent thaw around here. March might bring us a surprise "cement snow" snow storm, but I am to the point where I just don't care. I want to get through the cold, and into the warm weather. This the first winter in the last few that I am actively looking forward to spring, and it's not even February yet. I generally don't start getting anxious for spring until the end of Feb... We have had some snow pack, and it has been cold, but the dearth of decent snow since the beginning of the month has been a tad disheartening. We had one event around here that brought more than 4" of snow, other than that it's been anything from a T to 1"

The seasonal trends have been solidly against the GL as far as "big" storms are concerned at this point, and if it does change as referenced in the earlier post, it's going to change just in time for winter to have a sloppy finish for us. Not a whole lot of fun.

Flood potential looks huge on the Mississippi...something to watch. Going to need some slow melting over the next few months. If we hold onto this snow into spring...could get ugly.

First outlook just came out... I wonder if they couldn't drop the river levels even right now to about 2ft!? The flow must be low right now with everything pretty much frozen.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=arx&storyid=63207&source=0

FOR THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER ITSELF...SOME MINOR FLOODING IS ALMOST A

SURETY...EVEN GIVEN IDEAL MELTING CONDITIONS. BUT THERE IS POTENTIAL

THAT WATER LEVELS COULD REACH MODERATE OR EVEN MAJOR CATEGORIES.

THE THREAT FOR FLOODING IS THUS MUCH ABOVE NORMAL THIS SPRING.

Archived