amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This last week has changed my grade for this winter from a C+ to a B+ (This is for NE IN). With a few more small snows, it will improve to an A-. A big dog would put it at a solid A. If winter ends after this week, it could drop back into the B-/C+ range.

Winter won't be ending after this week. Granted we may go "mild" for a week or two here, but Don Sutherland and the mets with the good track records believe it'll be back for at least the last week-ish of Feb through early March. The warmwantistas will have wait a little for Spring to start this March I believe.

As for my grade for LAF, a whimper of a finish with snowfall from here on out would temper my happiness somewhat, but it's a solid A- right now. Getting into the top 5 snowiest or getting another 6"+ storm, which both are connected, takes the "-" away.

All I know is that I am completely ready for warm weather and severe thunderstorms.

I'm about there myself. Normally I'm a winter guy at least through February but I'm starting to get tired of it. This glacier has to be seen to be believed. I almost fell on the way to my car today but I was able to grab onto the car to catch myself. Then, when I was pulling into my parking spot, I pulled in slanted so I decided to back out and realign...of course I ended up getting stuck while doing that. After spinning my tires for a few minutes, that situation was resolved. But yeah, I'm about at the breaking point, unless we can get a major snowstorm...I'm always down for one of those.

I'm about there myself. Normally I'm a winter guy at least through February but I'm starting to get tired of it. This glacier has to be seen to be believed. I almost fell on the way to my car today but I was able to grab onto the car to catch myself. Then, when I was pulling into my parking spot, I pulled in slanted so I decided to back out and realign...of course I ended up getting stuck while doing that. After spinning my tires for a few minutes, that situation was resolved. But yeah, I'm about at the breaking point, unless we can get a major snowstorm...I'm always down for one of those.

Hang in there man. :lol: But you're right the glacier does cause some issues. Hell I tried to climb 2.5 foot snow banks in a parking lot to take a short cut...but I kept slipping (the ice/snow pack underneath the snow cover was hellacious) and couldn't get to the "peak". I felt slightly embarrassed...slightly angry. lol, and I'd put myself in the "in shape" category for sure. Granted I had work shoes on, but c'mon. At least the ice/snow packed side streets are melting today...of course they'll just refreeze tonight and without the sun today, evaporation is nil.

Hang in there man. :lol: But you're right the glacier does cause some issues. Hell I tried to climb 2.5 foot snow banks in a parking lot to take a short cut...but I kept slipping (the ice/snow pack underneath the snow cover was hellacious) and couldn't get to the "peak". I felt slightly embarrassed...slightly angry. lol, and I'd put myself in the "in shape" category for sure. Granted I had work shoes on, but c'mon. At least the ice/snow packed side streets are melting today...of course they'll just refreeze tonight and without the sun today, evaporation is nil.

Yeah, definite improvement on the roads today.

The 7am depth this morning at DTW was 16", and this becomes only the 9th winter since 1885 to have a peak snow depth of 16" or greater officially at Detroit!

Winters since 1885 where Detroit officially has a 16"+ snow depth

2010-11 - 16"

1998-99 - 24"

1981-82 - 18"

1974-75 - 19"

1951-52 - 16"

1904-05 - 16"

1899-00 - 26"

1892-93 - 18"

1885-86 - 25"

The 7am depth this morning at DTW was 16", and this becomes only the 9th winter since 1885 to have a peak snow depth of 16" or greater officially at Detroit!

Winters since 1885 where Detroit officially has a 16"+ snow depth

2010-11 - 16"

1998-99 - 24"

1981-82 - 18"

1974-75 - 19"

1951-52 - 16"

1904-05 - 16"

1899-00 - 26"

1892-93 - 18"

1885-86 - 25"

Surprising 07-08, or 08-09 don't show up on that list.

you love all of it

No, really, I'm serious. I've never even been mildly sick of winter in February, but this year I am. Of course by summer I might be longing for winter lol

I'm the same way, I love winter, but I am so tired of it this year. I'm tired of not being able to walk anywhere without running the risk of falling. I'm tired of having to walk my dog for 10 minutes until she finds somewhere to piss since she won't go on the ice. I'm tired of driving at speeds only half the speed limit because the roads are solid ice with 4 inch ruts down the center of the road.

Tracking storm after storm and they get suppressed to the South? Yeah bring on the warmth and severe weather.

I'm the same way, I love winter, but I am so tired of it this year. I'm tired of not being able to walk anywhere without running the risk of falling. I'm tired of having to walk my dog for 10 minutes until she finds somewhere to piss since she won't go on the ice. I'm tired of driving at speeds only half the speed limit because the roads are solid ice with 4 inch ruts down the center of the road.

Tracking storm after storm and they get suppressed to the South? Yeah bring on the warmth and severe weather.

This. Snow falling isn't the problem, it's trying to navigate through it. It would've been tough for any road crews to handle the sleet storm so I'm willing to overlook that one, but this has been a chronic problem around here. The plowing/salting is mediocre at best. This is in a small city like LAF so I can only imagine it's worse in the more rural areas.

we still have another 2 months of winter to go up here

i recall one late winter arctic blast that took us all the way through almost the end of march.

im just going to do my best to avoid the torch, thats my focus for the next 2-3 weeks.

since we are so far below normal snowfall, if i lose the snowpack, the winter will get a score in the range of D.

only further building of the snowpack can save it.

This. Snow falling isn't the problem, it's trying to navigate through it. It would've been tough for any road crews to handle the sleet storm so I'm willing to overlook that one, but this has been a chronic problem around here. The plowing/salting is mediocre at best. This is in a small city like LAF so I can only imagine it's worse in the more rural areas.

you know i was thinking about this a few weeks back....remember when atlanta had that little ice and snow event and were shutdown for like 2-3 days?

i was thinking.....wow. temps in the upper 30s and near 40 AFTER the event, and it still shut down a metro for a few days.

i guess up here we contiunue to operate at high efficiency no matter the condtiions and temps even if we get an ice storm and then temps in below freezing for the next 6 weeks.....all thanks to salt and equipment, but mostly salt, ample ample salt.

thats when i realized....people really shouldnt be living up here, and if it wasnt for salt, it would be uninhabitaable for a modern civilization lol

we still have another 2 months of winter to go up here

i recall one late winter arctic blast that took us all the way through almost the end of march.

im just going to do my best to avoid the torch, thats my focus for the next 2-3 weeks.

since we are so far below normal snowfall, if i lose the snowpack, the winter will get a score in the range of D.

only further building of the snowpack can save it.

We JUST passed the halfway mark of astronomical winter. Its early February, we ALL have 2-3 more months of snow potential, yes once you get into March its more concentrating on the storms rather than snowcover due to sun angle, but even still...I know its been a long cold winter, but all this talk of spring/summer, is very very VERY premature!

if you can believe it, 2007-08 officially peaked at 9" only (remember the constant thawing and re-snowing), and 2008-09 peaked at 14". The infamous 1977-78 even "only" peaked at 15". Thats why once you pass 14", you are in rare territory here.

Yeah, that's hard to believe. I peaked over 18" twice in 2007-08, once in mid Feb and again just after the March blizzard. But I think (?) you got fringed by both those storms, so it would make sense why your snow depth wasn't as great.

In 2008-09 I had 21" snowdepth on Feb 4 and it all went downhill from there. :lol:

GFS says what warmup?

GFS says what warmup?

18Z 14-FEB 2.9 -4.2 1015 86 67 0.00 548

00Z 15-FEB 0.3 -2.4 1015 97 88 0.01 542

12Z 15-FEB -2.8 -8.2 1019 97 43 0.02 536

00Z 16-FEB -0.6 -3.5 1015 94 54 0.01 541

12Z 16-FEB -4.5 -8.9 1021 95 14 0.03 544

00Z 17-FEB -5.6 -7.0 1030 93 8 0.01 556

12Z 17-FEB -7.5 -0.1 1028 98 42 0.00 564

00Z 18-FEB 1.1 5.7 1015 94 21 0.00 565

Archived