• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

Love slate gray days like this, with all the deep snow. Especially with the sun angle getting stronger, I am in no hurry longing for an end to the endless gray yet either. Took a bunch of picks of the deep snowpack, Ill post a few but full gallery is in the photography section. Avg depth ~15" with water content of ~2".

http://www.americanw...heast-michigan/

2666-800.jpg

2674-800.jpg

2667-800.jpg

2678-800.jpg

2681-800.jpg

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just crossed the 40" line for the season. It'll be interesting to see if I can get a 6" snowstorm this winter. If not this'll be the first winter in the 12 years I've been measuring snow imby to cross the 40" threshold without the aid of a 6"+ snowstorm.

Under 15" to go, someone get this man a snowstorm. :)

I am welcoming the torch with open arms right now. Maybe this could trigger our first 6+ inch snowfall this season.

Anyway has any proposed the idea of Midwest type of Weather Conference? I know the easterners do theres but what about for us midwesterners, Ohio Valley and Great Lakes folks.....

That would be great to have our own conference! I wonder if many would want to participate?

It's been brought up several times but nobody has taken the extra step to organize anything. I think it would be cool though.

Yeah it would be lol.. Could rotate cities year to year... Indy, CBUS, CHITOWN, Detriot, Cincy, St. Louis to name a few... If I had the connections to speakers etc that would be a cool event to put on. One option is for the host city and those members that live within that area would organize the event etc. Just a thought. I have no interest in going to the eastern conference because it won't focus on the weather here and its to far...

It's been brought up several times but nobody has taken the extra step to organize anything. I think it would be cool though.

I would drop the conference label if it were to happen and just call it a meetup or something, if it was in Chicago I'd go, otherwise, i really should just hit up the real deal if i'm going to be flying somewhere and i'm strongly considering the main conference this year.

EDIT: half dollars still dropping like it's hot.

I would drop the conference label if it were to happen and just call it a meetup or something, if it was in Chicago I'd go, otherwise, i really should just hit up the real deal if i'm going to be flying somewhere and i'm strongly considering the main conference this year.

Yeah Indy is an hour from me... Chicago about 4 to 4 1/2 hours. CBUS is 90 minutes... St. Louis is 5 hrs.. I am always up for Chicago road trip. I love that town.... One day I may settle there...

Yeah I think it would be good to have something more informal.

Regarding the main conference, I recommend it especially for anyone who has never attended. The presentations do tend to skew toward eastern weather topics (at least they did at the EUSWX conferences) but there is a good amount of general info as well, and I know there are ongoing efforts to bring in a big time speaker or two from outside of the east coast. Plus it's sort of neat to meet people who share the passion for weather.

An informal meet up would be a good idea. Of course at that point it probably limits the fringe members, distance wise depending on where it's held, from attending. Of course every region within the region could organize their own I suppose. It would be cool meeting a lot of you in person and have some drinks, shoot the breeze about weather and what not.

While LOT did a tremendous job with the blizzard they have struggled mightily with the numerous small events this year. Yesterday and today being two prime example;when you call for a 40 % chance of snowshowers and end up with back to back 2-4 inch events in a 3 hour period of time these are some serious busts and effect area contractors along with municipalities and IDOT.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHICAGO

349 PM CST SAT FEB 5 2011

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY EARLY THIS EVENING

THEN BECOMING CLOUDY

WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS AROUND

20. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS IN THE EVENING BECOMING SOUTHWEST

AROUND 10 MPH...THEN BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE DURING THE

PREDAWN HOURS.

SUNDAY

LIGHT SNOW LIKELY. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH.

HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS UNTIL LATE

AFTERNOON BECOMING NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH LATE IN THE AFTERNOON.

CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

Today's forecast released at 3:07 pm

Tonight: Cloudy with scattered snowshowers...

ouch.

and now:

REST OF TONIGHT...SNOW SHOWERS ENDING THIS EVENING

THEN

CLEARING. NEW SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH. TOTAL SNOW

ACCUMULATION 2 TO 4 INCHES. COLDER. LOWS 1 BELOW TO 3 ABOVE

ZERO...EXCEPT 4 TO 8 ABOVE DOWNTOWN. LOWEST WIND CHILL READINGS

5 BELOW TO 15 BELOW ZERO AFTER MIDNIGHT. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15

MPH.

BUST!:bag:

Archived