• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
MW/GL/OV February 2011 discussion

Hoosier

that's not so much UHI as it is roads, cars, trees etc that are snow free because of plowing and other civilized activities. Open corn fields show snow much better than forrests as well (see northwoods wisconsin).

Right...same idea though.

I just have a pet peeve of humans "messing up" snow...but that's the price you pay for 10,000,000+ people in a metro area. :snowman:

I'll drop it though...don't want to go too far OT here.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit -8 here this morning, and only made it back to 8 above. Looks like -8 again tonight, and maybe -10 tomorrow night. Still have about 15" or so on the ground. Haven't melted any, but it's slowly compacting, down from the 18"+.

Really looks nice next week. If we're not going to get any fresh snow I'm all for melting this all off. The snow has been piled so high around here that it's kind of dangerous while driving. You have to pull way out onto the roadways to see around the corner.

11° F at MSN for a high after a low of 3° F right after sunrise. It didn't make it above around 5° F on top of the met building, too much CAA prevented much of a thermal boundary layer from forming.

Down to 7° F about 45 minutes after sunset at MSN (6 pm CDT), so that's last daylight. We have deep snow and clear skies, but pressure gradient winds will screw us over from getting extremely cold.

Could of had our coldest night of the season either tonight or tomorrow night but without a snow pack that is not going to happen. We got screwed to our west with snow and to our east. If you look at a snow map you can see the area between I 70 and the River over to Columbus as the donut hole...Looks like I am ready for the warm up.. Hoping for some nice 50's next week and I would love to pull off a snow event or two before the season closes out.

Anyone else thinking that in 2 weeks a very strong GLC type system is possible. The battle zone has been drawn according to the GFS.

Oh yeah I think there's a good chance. Long range GFS shows some indication of an active SW flow type pattern. Looks like some seasonally warm air will flood much of the country. It's still early enough that there will still be some major arctic air to tap into. There's certainly potential for something down the road, but it probably won't be for another 10-15 days.

Anyone else thinking that in 2 weeks a very strong GLC type system is possible. The battle zone has been drawn according to the GFS.

IDK, there could be something but whether it is weak or strong has yet to be determined. All the models seem to show a west coast trough but it is a long ways out so things can change. The GFS has hinted at this for a while now so maybe it is onto something.

La Crosse

HIGH TEMPERATURES ON SATURDAY

WILL REACH INTO THE MID 30S. MODELS GENERATING LIGHT PRECIPITATION

ACROSS NORTHERN WISCONSIN SATURDAY AS A SHORT WAVE TROUGH MOVES

ACROSS EXTREME NORTHERN WISCONSIN. THIS FEATURE WILL BRING A SLIGHT

CHANCE OF SNOW TO NORTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED

TO WARM EVEN FURTHER ON SUNDAY WITH HIGHS CLIMBING INTO THE UPPER

30S...WITH A FEW LOCATIONS POSSIBLY REACHING THE LOW 40S.

Going to be a good weekend. Ice fisherman will be out in droves with this type of weather. Probably wash the car again if it hits 40f on Sunday.

Was going to start a new thread, but i'll just say this here...

I think subzero temps are done for here... Once we get into March they become a lot less likely. I really am not seeing anything that suggests cold through the rest of Feb. If anything, the latest GFS is a torch. A place like Omaha is going to see 60F temps in the next week...we should be pushing 40F... Lots of melting to the south will allow warmer air north.

Tonite could be the last cold night of the year...GFS thinks -20F...probably possible with snow/calm winds/clear skies/cold 850s..

I'm not sure what March is looking like at this point, but I could be way off...although with increasing sun angle/longer days, snow can be wiped out very quickly. Last year the WHOLE state of Wisconsin was snow free by March 15th.

edit to add: I don't think winter is done... just the cold... probably better for you snow lovers that this crap is going away. We really haven't had much snow since December...

Archived