joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015/16 Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread - Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand all of this transient cold talk.  It fell below freezing here today and it is not expected to get above 30° for the next seven days. In fact, it may not get out of single digits at the end of the week. 7+ days of 5-25° below normal temps doesn't sound transient to me.

When I am saying transient, my point of reference is that it isn't locking in for 2 weeks or more. The other thing is with the lack of snow cover and eventually we will be sunny, there is only so much a cold air mass can do that the sun won't overpower. By this weekend we are going to be in mid February, that is a decent sun angle and the lack of snow cover plays up this time of year. We have been busting high on temperatures for a while. So even though we will be cold, it won't nearly be as cold as it could be with -20 to -30c at 850mb.

Can't do anything with severe besides observe it. We have like 6 month for that. Winter is a short sliver of the year.

If I didn't have any winter hobbies, I probably won't waste my time with anything but big dogs like ALEK. But the melting in 6 hour deal I don't get.

Btw... most cold spells are transient. It's the same with heat waves, they generally settle back to normal after they move through.

We all know you like snowmobiling. You don't need to remind us with every post that your enthusiasm is rooted in it.

The current pattern sucks for all those who don't partake in your hobby, in case you haven't figured that one out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I am saying transient, my point of reference is that it isn't locking in for 2 weeks or more. The other thing is with the lack of snow cover and eventually we will be sunny, there is only so much a cold air mass can do that the sun won't overpower. By this weekend we are going to be in mid February, that is a decent sun angle and the lack of snow cover plays up this time of year. We have been busting high on temperatures for a while. So even though we will be cold, it won't nearly be as cold as it could be with -20 to -30c at 850mb.

There should be a light fresh snowcover down in many areas this weekend, which will really aid lows on a xalm, clear night.

We all know you like snowmobiling. You don't need to remind us with every post that your enthusiasm is rooted in it.

The current pattern sucks for all those who don't partake in your hobby, in case you haven't figured that one out yet.

As long as we get some snow I don't mind the pattern at all. It's not exactly limited to snowmobilers. Likewise with severe weather, if I have somewhere to be, or outdoor plans, a Tigers game, a commute home from work, etc..I'm rooting hardcore against it, while many others are hoping for it. Everyone has different interests.

As long as we get some snow I don't mind the pattern at all. It's not exactly limited to snowmobilers. Likewise with severe weather, if I have somewhere to be, or outdoor plans, a Tigers game, a commute home from work, etc..I'm rooting hardcore against it, while many others are hoping for it. Everyone has different interests.

Go big or go home

If it wasn't for winter, this forum wouldn't exist. Have you ever noticed that AmWx spams model discounts and other promotions around November? That's because 75% of this forum is made up with snow weenies. Take a trip over to the New England sub-forum. There are a lot more skiers, snowboarders and other winter sports fans who root on winter for their hobby. 

We went almost 3 days without a single post in GL/OV during the summer.

Also, criticizing posters for being happy with a winter pattern, during winter -- is silly.

I understand what you are saying. I guess we just have different definitions of transient cold. To me, anything more than 3 or 4 days is not considered transient. Also, no matter how far below normal, anything more than a couple of degrees below normal is cold. I am not arguing how cold, but to me, a couple of days of not making it to 20° is cold, which is what I'm expecting by the end of the week. We're still talking 20°+ below normal.

Go big or go home

Tough location for go big or go home

Us passionate snow lovers and winter sports enthusiast take what we can get in the upper mw and that normally comes in many small doses unlike big dog country out east.

Snowed all night here. Wasn't a lot but sure scratched my itch as any snow does.

I understand what you are saying. I guess we just have different definitions of transient cold. To me, anything more than 3 or 4 days is not considered transient. Also, no matter how far below normal, anything more than a couple of degrees below normal is cold. I am not arguing how cold, but to me, a couple of days of not making it to 20° is cold, which is what I'm expecting by the end of the week. We're still talking 20°+ below normal.

Yeah my version of transient is on the amount of time, not the magnitude of the cold. It will be cold and now with this surprise snowfall here it could potentially be colder than I originally expected.

If it wasn't for winter, this forum wouldn't exist. Have you ever noticed that AmWx spams model discounts and other promotions around November? That's because 75% of this forum is made up with snow weenies. Take a trip over to the New England sub-forum. There are a lot more skiers, snowboarders and other winter sports fans who root on winter for their hobby.

Also, criticizing posters for being happy with a winter pattern, during winter -- is silly.

I like winter. I just don't like boring weather in any time of the year.

Tough location for go big or go home

Us passionate snow lovers and winter sports enthusiast take what we can get in the upper mw and that normally comes in many small doses unlike big dog country out east.

Snowed all night here. Wasn't a lot but sure scratched my itch as any snow does.

I like >6-8" storms, which are common here. I'm not asking for a storm like the east coast gets. We stand at 16.3" for the season so far at DTW plus a few more after today. So far, it's worse than '11-'12.

I'm sorry but I just don't care for nuisance events that are 1-3". If you do, kudos. Just like I'm not going to pretend that I care about it snowing anywhere else but the Detroit area. I don't judge the season by how well it snows up north.

This pattern blows in the winter. El Niño sucks for the region in the winter.

Point being, there are many reasons to be empathetic towards the posters that are complaining right now.

Yeah, our forum over in upstate completely dies besides me and I just hop to whatever forum the tornadoes are in. ^_^

We get little bursts of traffic when a severe storm complex is rolling through, but as a rule, the forum is dead. Half the posts are the next winter preparation and analysis.

I jokingly liken it to the NFL.

We have pre-season winter SON.

We have regular season winter DJF

We have post season winter MAM.

We have the combine scouting winter JJA.

This forum has been completely dead the last 3 Summers, due to the overall lack of severe weather action.

With the warm winter we've had I'm not looking forward to basically a 3 month more extension to it. We've had early spring like weather most of fall and winter. Come April 1st a Skip to summer would be better. O well maybe spring will throw us a surprise winter storm like Nov.

Got to love the 4 seasons though. Except the bitter cold and dry. Thankfully we dodged that this winter but I suppose that was expected in a raging nino.

This forum has been completely dead the last 3 Summers, due to the overall lack of severe weather action.

yep, the only time I pop in between April and October is for:   1.) severe,  2.) being on the inland path of a dying hurricane, or  3.)extreme heat. 

None of those categories have been busy the last couple of summers.

I'm waiting for that point in my life when I start hating winters completely and wanna travel south more frequently. Love the snowstorms but really starting to dislike this extreme cold and dry. How can you live in Winnipeg, Manitoba? It's like that all winter. Gross. I believe it's a perk living in Michigan at the least lakes warms the air and away from the belts we get frequent snow squalls.

There was no reason for me to pop in this past summer from basically July through September nothing happened around here. I would check out every now and then but what are we talking about 82 and sunny?

Archived