• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2/25 - 2/27 Winter Storm Threat

Brick Tamland

I urge caution when discussing this event. On the heels of two weeks of weather hype and a big snow, I come to find out today that the rumors of the next big snow are being spread like crazy among the high schoolers. I asked my daughter how she had heard about it and she said her friends found weather pages on facebook during the last storm. Our Brick Bot is hard at work as evidenced by the most premature thread since Wilkes. And is likely many of our new followers are seeing this new threat being discussed and running with it.

I have always enjoyed this site for the learning so it is a bit disappointing to see so many junk threads floating around this winter. If I had a vote I would be in favor of mods approving and opening threads by majority request as an event comes into view. We have plenty of experts that can tell us when the time is right. JMO.

just read DT weather update and he is in for an inland southeast snowstorm 25-27.  he says a few factors have to come into play but said things are pointing toward the inland southeast and southern mid atlantic snow right now and it will go out to sea off the carolina coast.....no noreaster.  the Euro is picking this up just like 10 days out on the last storm.   Robert even says things will change day to day with this possible upcoming event next week.

I urge caution when discussing this event. On the heels of two weeks of weather hype and a big snow, I come to find out today that the rumors of the next big snow are being spread like crazy among the high schoolers. I asked my daughter how she had heard about it and she said her friends found weather pages on facebook during the last storm. Our Brick Bot is hard at work as evidenced by the most premature thread since Wilkes. And is likely many of our new followers are seeing this new threat being discussed and running with it.

I have always enjoyed this site for the learning so it is a bit disappointing to see so many junk threads floating around this winter. If I had a vote I would be in favor of mods approving and opening threads by majority request as an event comes into view. We have plenty of experts that can tell us when the time is right. JMO.

While I think it's crazy that Brick started this thread already today (see my posts above), I do not foresee any grand-scale cataclysm as a result.  If people want to spread a rumor of a "snowstorm," then go ahead.  Each individual should be responsible for what they consume on the internet and what they choose to believe.  If someone's boyfriend's cousin's great uncle's best friend's Facebook page claims a coming snowstorm, it's up to you (not, you, kvegas, but you, in general) to decide whether they're reputable enough to believe.  They'll be wrong a lot, and then you'll stop paying attention to them.  It will phase itself out.  A catastrophe is not in the works because someone prematurely discusses a potential storm that never comes to fruition.

I also don't get the TV weathermen being so upset about this.  There are tons of crazy people on social media and they're not going to be able to control them all.  Just ignore the crazies and don't give them any publicity by addressing them.

I agree, Calc. People need to develop some common sense. If somebody can't distinguish between a Facebook post and an NWS forecast, there just isn't going to be much they're going to be able to contribute in life.

Regarding starting threads, if, based on your pattern research, data analysis, and review of the available guidance, you feel there is sufficient evidence of a threat to start a thread, then rock and roll.

On the other hand, if you just want to be the first one to start the thread and look like a goober, then feel free to rock and roll with that too. Mods will delete if they don't like.

I agree, Calc. People need to develop some common sense. If somebody can't distinguish between a Facebook post and an NWS forecast, there just isn't going to be much they're going to be able to contribute in life.

There might be just a few.

(CNN) -- Every few years, the National Science Foundation releases its new Science and Engineering Indicators, which feature a barrage of seemingly embarrassing statistics that detail just how much Americans don't know about science. The latest such report, out Friday, has caused a stir by revealing that just 74% of Americans know the Earth revolves around the sun.

There might be just a few.

(CNN) -- Every few years, the National Science Foundation releases its new Science and Engineering Indicators, which feature a barrage of seemingly embarrassing statistics that detail just how much Americans don't know about science. The latest such report, out Friday, has caused a stir by revealing that just 74% of Americans know the Earth revolves around the sun.

Come on. That can't be serious! Maybe they couldn't understand the question....actually, that might be just as bad, as it would be a fairly simple question.

Dude the majority of the people don't even know what the National Weather Service is or even heard of it. Also when people who are talking about FFC being late to the game with winter weather, it really doesn't matter because 95% of the people who stay in Atlanta don't even know who that is or what they do.

Dude the majority of the people don't even know what the National Weather Service is or even heard of it. Also when people who are talking about FFC being late to the game with winter weather, it really doesn't matter because 95% of the people who stay in Atlanta don't even know who that is or what they do.

I hear you, but I was just using the NWS as a synonym for an official weather outlet of some type. The only people I've ever heard complain about FFC or any NWS office are folks on this board. I've never heard a coworker bash the NWS or TWC, for that matter. And I don't work with Max, so I probably never will. :)

haha the GFS individual ensemble members are absolutely horrid. Not one of the 20 members have a substantial, or even a weak, snowstorm for the SE.

Right now all we have supporting this thread is one leg, which is the 12z deterministic Euro which is not supported by it's own ensemble members. 11/51 members including control have a trace, 1/51 with 2".

I imagine that last leg will break tonight with the 00z run as with the current setup I don't see a low bombing off the coast like the Euro depicts. Just take a look at the GFS or GEM. Northern-stream dominant storm, the northern stream just winds up and the 12z Euro would be best case. I would bet on more of a weaker low that slides off the coast, not a large storm.

Archived