joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tidbits and teasers from the web

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting. I'm not saying you're necessarily buying into what he says as you're just being a messenger. However, a word of caution and a reminder to the readers: When JB speaks in generalities, he certainly isn't concentrating on the SE US and is most likely centered on the NE. Though some models are showing it for the NE and Midwest, no model is showing any kind of sustained cold air for the SE, and we've yet to have any. As a matter of fact, Atlanta is on track to have its warmest 12/1-1/31 since at least 1949-50! This has occured despite JB harping on cold for the bulk of the last two months.

im sure he is basing this off the mjo. Which is going into favorable phases for the entire eastarn 2/3 of the nation.

It's going to be hard to get super excited about any sustained cold patterns without some Arctic highs showing up. Where the heck are they for the past couple of years? We need some blocking in southern Canada or southern Greenland so we can get confluence in the right place to promote the building in and anchoring of some nice high pressure.

I'm sure he is basing this off the mjo. Which is going into favorable phases for the entire eastarn 2/3 of the nation.

You are correct, But I understand Larry's point of view also. We haven't had any sustained cold this winter... Thing is I'm sure the NE Midwest will get the bulk of the cold, But here in NC we can score with cold air close by in the NE,  IDK but I think we have a few more events left before spring, I wanna BIG DOG storm!!! :weenie:

Joe was on FBN yesterday.

No doubt he was referring to the NE as we still have the pattern with the bulk of the cold staying north of North Carolina.

We were very fortunate with the CAD that set in this past Thursday east of the mountains. It was nice for the foothills and piedmont and the best CAD the state has experienced in years.

Joe was on FBN yesterday.

No doubt he was reffering to the NE as we still have the pattern with the bulk of the cold staying north of Nort Carolina.

We were very fortunate with the CAD that set in this past Thursday east of the mountains. It was nice for the foothills and piedmont and the best CAD the state has experienced in years.

As long as we can get cold into the NE, then the CAD areas have a chance.  

Today Joe Bastardi says 'If Given Lemons, Let's Make some Lemonade !"  (For February)

He also posted this.

So this does not mean it has to do it, but is another piece of a puzzle that to me is becoming clearer, that a 3-4 week period where the jet cuts in from California to the Carolinas under ridging in Canada and across the arctic, and leads to a stormy pattern for much of the US, is on the way.

FYI there is a new Davis Weather Station on Clingsman Peak next to Mount Mitchell.

I presume the station is up where the broadcast towers are on Clingsman Peak.  The temperature sensor is agreeing with the ECONET site next door on Mount Mitchell, however the anemoment apparently is in protected area not exposed to the obvious rugged winds on the lofty 6600' peak.   If exposed, the Davis anemometer would not be able to survive long under those conditions.

I have not been over on Mitchell since the sensor was installed.   Hope to be over that way this weekend to cross country ski.

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/clingmanspeak01/

xsFme34.png

He also posted this.

So this does not mean it has to do it, but is another piece of a puzzle that to me is becoming clearer, that a 3-4 week period where the jet cuts in from California to the Carolinas under ridging in Canada and across the arctic, and leads to a stormy pattern for much of the US, is on the way.

Sigh.

JB is annoying. Everyone remember the date of February 14th. Winter goes out strong. Snow for most the country.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In other words, you might think JB is annoying to keep punting cold/snow for this winter since he's been off the mark before, but that doesn't mean he can't/won't be right this time around. We'll have to wait and see.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In other words, you might think JB is annoying to keep punting cold/snow for this winter since he's been off the mark before, but that doesn't mean he can't/won't be right this time around. We'll have to wait and see.

Well you do have a point. I'm actually in the mood for something wintry but we need better signals that point toward significant widespread wintry event.

DT on facebook page barking about potential big east coast storm Feb 13-14...... says NC to Maine, but then talks about nw half of VA being snow with ice central and east VA.   Never mentions NC specifically other than in the opening sentence.

TW

Typical DT.

In any case, he seems to be honing in on the Valentine's Day Storm some of us have been following for awhile on the GFS.

On JB's twitter account, he posted the GFS ensemble mean 11-16 day 2 mtr temps.  It was VERY cold.  Had much of the southeast 4-5 below normal.  Deviations were greater as you head to the nw.

TW

Not surprisingly, JB either ignores or somehow isn't aware of the GFS cold bias. Nothing new for him. As Jed Clampett used to say, pitiful, just pitiful. To compare, both the Euro and CDN ensemble means are only a little below normal at most.

Archived