joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historical Blizzard Obs Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to take a 12 hour measurement at 7 PM...snow started this morning around 7 AM...really not very much accumulation so far...I would guess no more than 3 inches or so as I type...but I'll check for real in half an hour. 

I was at BNL overnight. Crazy tired at the time, but if I recall correctly, I think i noticed light snow around dawn.  Sort of thought we'd get 2 or 3 inches on WAA snows. Really very little IMBY, but great to watch the stubborn band generating all the fun up west. Drove thru town about an hour ago and could believe there was maybe an inch or so. A lot of it blowing across roads. Very portentous it would seem.  Everything was snowcovered and slippery.  Saw a couple of cars struggling on the side street hills.  I tend not to be a dependable snow measurer, but I may snap some photo of my snow board / patio table.

I'm going to take a 12 hour measurement at 7 PM...snow started this morning around 7 AM...really not very much accumulation so far...I would guess no more than 3 inches or so as I type...but I'll check for real in half an hour.

Just mentioned same to my wife. 12hrs of precip, right around 2". Don't think we will have to wait long to start seeing big gains.

I was at BNL overnight. Crazy tired at the time, but if I recall correctly, I think i noticed light snow around dawn.  Sort of thought we'd get 2 or 3 inches on WAA snows. Really very little IMBY, but great to watch the stubborn band generating all the fun up west. Drove thru town about an hour ago and could believe there was maybe an inch or so. A lot of it blowing across roads. Very portentous it would seem.  Everything was snowcovered and slippery.  Saw a couple of cars struggling on the side street hills.  I tend not to be a dependable snow measurer, but I may snap some photo of my snow board / patio table.

These dry windy snows make for terrible measurements, easy shoveling, and little flooding potential...and fast melting...except there should be very little of that with extreme cold settling in the next 10 days at least. 

Might be a bit more than that...plow just came through and this town usually waits till it reaches the 4 inch mark...also looking at the difference between the road and the snow height...its decent...also its been snowing good while I've been typing...I think. 

Just mentioned same to my wife. 12hrs of precip, right around 2". Don't think we will have to wait long to start seeing big gains.

Hey if we screw this up...I mean no one to blame...this setup is beyond textbook perfect for 18 inches or more of snow along the N. Shore of Long Island...

Yep...3.0 inches Port Jeff 7 PM...bringing the area to 10.0 inches on the winter...an amount that stands a fair chance of being doubled in the next 10 hours, I would imagine. 

We've had 2" total new snow today as of 6PM.

It was fun, if a little disappointing watching that narrow band of heavier snow waiver close to the middle of the island from central LI all the way over NYC and into NNJ.  I wouldn't doubt some 6" or better amounts over the backbone of the island already.

It felt a little like sitting just outside of an LE band all day.

In any event, I am really liking the way the radar is looking now.  The show will be on soon.

We've had 2" total new snow today as of 6PM.

It was fun, if a little disappointing watching that narrow band of heavier snow waiver close to the middle of the island from central LI all the way over NYC and into NNJ.  I wouldn't doubt some 6" or better amounts over the backbone of the island already.

It felt a little like sitting just outside of an LE band all day.

In any event, I am really liking the way the radar is looking now.  The show will be on soon.

It really looked like it was straddling the Ronkonkoma Moraine...though I'm not about to drive up to Bald Hill for confirmation....

Radar looks 1000% better @ 7 PM. 

Yep...3.0 inches Port Jeff 7 PM...bringing the area to 10.0 inches on the winter...an amount that stands a fair chance of being tripled in the next 20 hours, I would imagine. 

oooh...unauthorized editing...  :)

It really looked like it was straddling the Ronkonkoma Moraine...though I'm not about to drive up to Bald Hill for confirmation....

Radar looks 1000% better @ 7 PM. 

If you were so inclined, further west might work better...roughly along the LIE either side of the county line.  I'd like to see some obs from Plainview, Bethpage, Melville area.

it hasn't stopped snowing for one minute since approximately 12:30 p.m. Varying from light snow too heavy 1-2 inch an hour snow in Kew Gardens Queens. Currently at 4.4 inches and snowing lightly with the heavy stuff coming straight for us.will start posting pictures the next hour quasi projec the heavy stuff 2 be here by then

If you were so inclined, further west might work better...roughly along the LIE either side of the county line.  I'd like to see some obs from Plainview, Bethpage, Melville area.

Yes...I'd love to go up to Jaynes Hill for this one...

Archived