• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historical Blizzard Obs Thread

Rtd208

Nice long tracked meso band... still moving pretty quickly off to the northwest.

Sitting under that now...intensity picked up and so did flake size.  Right around 3.5" so far.  I remember feeling like we'd never get to forecasted totals in Feb 2013 right around this time of night...and the hammer dropped overnight.  Hopefully the same result incoming..

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sitting under that now...intensity picked up and so did flake size.  Right around 3.5" so far.  I remember feeling like we'd never get to forecasted totals in Feb 2013 right around this time of night...and the hammer dropped overnight.  Hopefully the same result incoming..

Should add the wind is really starting to howl.  Unpleasant Jebwalk conditions

Should add the wind is really starting to howl.  Unpleasant Jebwalk conditions

Being about 10 miles east of me...you are in ideal spot...snow definitely coming down nicely here...but no crazy heavy rates...I think I'll measure. 

Being about 10 miles east of me...you are in ideal spot...snow definitely coming down nicely here...but no crazy heavy rates...I think I'll measure. 

Nothing too terribly impressive here...just 1.0 inches in the last two hours...bringing the storm total to 4.0" @ 9 PM in Port Jeff. 

Was thinking East would be best for the last couple of days...but it's been tough to eek out higher totals than PJ these past few seasons...hopefully we both jackpot this time around.

Was thinking East would be best for the last couple of days...but it's been tough to eek out higher totals than PJ these past few seasons...hopefully we both jackpot this time around.

Both spots are afforded a really nice trajectory across the Sound with a NE fetch...every little bit helps..as they say. 

Snow growth has been very unimpressive in Central Long Island.  We have been in light snow bands for 10 hours and there might be 2 to 3 inches covering vast open spaces with 6-8" drifts new posts and fences.  The real stuff seems to be coming in over the next 2 hours which is when I expect to start seeing some real accumulations.  

Light Snow

26 degrees

Winds 30mph gusting to 40mph

Considering what we experienced in 2013, there's no way we will get 28" which is forecast -- that's REALLY hard to come by.  We could only crack 2 feet last time because we had actual thunderstorms running straight into the cold air (oranges and reds on the radar).  Storm doesn't look nearly as powerful over the atlantic as the last one.  

Snow growth has been very unimpressive in Central Long Island.  We have been in light snow bands for 10 hours and there might be 2 to 3 inches covering vast open spaces with 6-8" drifts new posts and fences.  The real stuff seems to be coming in over the next 2 hours which is when I expect to start seeing some real accumulations.  

Light Snow

26 degrees

Winds 30mph gusting to 40mph

Considering what we experienced in 2013, there's no way we will get 28" which is forecast -- that's REALLY hard to come by.  We could only crack 2 feet last time because we had actual thunderstorms running straight into the cold air (oranges and reds on the radar).  Storm doesn't look nearly as powerful over the atlantic as the last one.  

This should be longer duration..depending on which model you believe we could be accumulating through nightfall tomorrow.  Definitely think 12-18" in the next 12 hours alone is possible. 

This is a radar screenshot i took from Feb 24th 2013.  THIS is what radar needs to look like to get the insane totals -- most areas in central LI got about 24" to 34" with this band continuously pivoting almost for the entire duration of the snowstorm.  I just don't see anything close this happening again. 

post-1262-0-45651600-1422325874_thumb.jp

This should be longer duration..depending on which model you believe we could be accumulating through nightfall tomorrow.  Definitely think 12-18" in the next 12 hours alone is possible.

We do now have some heavy snow in the Port Jeff area at 9:30 PM...much better dendrite growth and visibility greatly reduced. First period of heavy snow all day here.

One thing I can say with certainty...having lived here for a spell...these storms almost always start badly and end rather well, in my experience.

Archived