joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 winter outlook

FLO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are a mess. This is clearly going to be a South Georgia and NFL winter along with coastal Carolinas and Gulf Coast. A 1989ish Christmas type storm.

Metal,

I thought it was supposed to be an NBA winter. To be fair, I don't remember why. NFL winter sounds more wintry for some reason. So, I hope you are right! 

I'm going to make a BOLD prediction.  MBY will get accumulating snowfall this winter.

:lol:

SJ,

1. I'm all in for your prediction.

2. I'll see your bold prediction and make my bolder prediction. KATL will get accumulating snowfall this winter. Two of the last three winters didn't have that. So, it is indeed bold. ;)

PS: This is a serious prediction. I'm seriously all in for 0.1"+ SN/IP at KATL some time this NDJFM! I'm tempted to say there will be 2+ of these 0.1"+ events, but that is too bold for my blood this early.

SJ,

2. I'll see your bold prediction and make my bolder prediction. KATL will get accumulating snowfall this winter. Two of the last three winters didn't have that. So, it is indeed bold. ;)

PS: This is a serious prediction. I'm seriously all in for 0.1"+ SN/IP at KATL sometime this NDJFM! I'm tempted to say there will be 2+ of these 0.1"+ events, but that is too bold for my blood this early.

I think we are due for a November snow or ice event. I don't remember in my entire lifetime having accumulating snow or ice in November.

09/10 was great for folks east of 40 and west of 40. Seemed liked everyone in the middle while not getting screwed just couldn't cash in. Based on everyone's awesome analysis I don't think it's a stretch to say we have a real shot of again seeing snow on or around Christmas day. I really think it's a possibility. 

You guys are a mess. This is clearly going to be a South Georgia and NFL winter along with coastal Carolinas and Gulf Coast. A 1989ish Christmas type storm.

I'm going to lmao if that is the case. If so since I don't live in NC no more I guess I will go to Waycross to go snow chasing. Not impossible  though. Look at last year when parts of Southern AL and FL panhandle got snow. Also been a few years since its happen.. but Southern AL around Atmore to be specific received a few inches of snow from a low longitude storm track back in 2010 IIRC.

I'm going to lmao if that is the case. If so since I don't live in NC no more I guess I will go to Waycross to go snow chasing. Not impossible  though. Look at last year when parts of Southern AL and FL panhandle got snow. Also been a few years since its happen.. but Southern AL around Atmore to be specific received a few inches of snow from a low longitude storm track back in 2010 IIRC.

Snow chasing!?  You know you live in the Deep South when you see that!   :lol: 

09/10 was great for folks east of 40 and west of 40. Seemed liked everyone in the middle while not getting screwed just couldn't cash in. Based on everyone's awesome analysis I don't think it's a stretch to say we have a real shot of again seeing snow on or around Christmas day. I really think it's a possibility. 

I think the past few years even when the Triangle did have a good winter, points to the west and east still got more snow.

I think the past few years even when the Triangle did have a good winter, points to the west and east still got more snow.

Problem with the Triangle is when there are western or eastern winter storms, we're usually on the (frozen / precip) edge of each. The one good thing is we're usually in the "game" for both types of storms; even though we get lots of disappointments. There are lots of past storms where we have been the prime focal point, but I do agree it's been awhile.

Wait, 40 runs east and west.  How can you be east, west and in the middle?

SJ,

PS: This is a serious prediction. I'm seriously all in for 0.1"+ SN/IP at KATL some time this NDJFM! I'm tempted to say there will be 2+ of these 0.1"+ events, but that is too bold for my blood this early.

Do you happen to know what percent of winters KATL gets accumulating snowfall?

For MBY, it's somewhere close to 100%, hence my bold prediction. :D

I'm going to go into winter fail mode in March! If I have not had a snow or ice event by then, it may be time to panic! Most everything is just voodoo and crystal ball hocus pocus. I remember it being said last year that with the pattern the way it was we would not get any big events over 2-3 inches, but then look what happened in Feb!!

I'm going to go into winter fail mode in March! If I have not had a snow or ice event by then, it may be time to panic! Most everything is just voodoo and crystal ball hocus pocus. I remember it being said last year that with the pattern the way it was we would not get any big events over 2-3 inches, but then look what happened in Feb!!

I remember last February well.  I didn't get anything over 2 or 3 inches.

Does the 0.5 reading need to stay there or higher for a month to be official?

To be official, there needs to be five trimonthly averages in a row of +0.5+. So, it could easily be March or even April before we're told that it has been made official retroactively back to autumn/winter. However, we'd have a good idea well before then.

For RDU, we have been skunked roughly 10 times in the past 130 years.   Would be funny if we got skunked this year.

I'm not aware of any times GSO has been skunked, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened at some point.

I think there might have been a year in the mid-1990s where we only got a dusting of snow, though.  Even in the God awful winter of 2011-2012, we scored with the February 19th storm with 1.9".

I think it is near 75% of them. I'll check later.

I am surprised it is that high.  Interesting.  The average snowfall is around 2", correct?

Archived