• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 winter outlook

FLO

Are we ever going to get an update on snow cover again? Where do we stand and how do we look to finish off the month??!

I think that the reason there haven't been updates may be that the satellite data hasn't been available. However, I've been closely following model output for a number of days and it has consistently been insisting that the last 12 days of the month would overall yield continued significant SCE gains as well as intense cold. I expect to see a significant jump once the data becomes available. With the continued cold til the end of the month, I doubt we see too much melting of new snow. We'll see.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the reason there haven't been updates may be that the satellite data hasn't been available. However, I've been closely following model output for a number of days and it has consistently been insisting that the last 12 days of the month would overall yield continued significant SCE gains as well as intense cold. I expect to see a significant jump once the date becomes available. With the continued cold til the end of the month, I doubt we see too much melting of new snow. We'll see.

Awesome! Thanks buddy!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe 40 runs east to west everywhere. I think it runs north to south from Raleigh to Wilmington.

Even Number interstates run East and West. Odd Number interstates go North and South. There are parts it looks like it runs North to south, but not long enough to call it a line. 

Wait, 40 runs east and west.  How can you be east, west and in the middle?

You're correct. I'm speaking more of my own imaginary line. I look at 40 as anything west of around Hickory NC and G'boro east. Makes little sense geographically but as another poster said I-85 to I-95 is probably more accurate. 

I think that the reason there haven't been updates may be that the satellite data hasn't been available. However, I've been closely following model output for a number of days and it has consistently been insisting that the last 12 days of the month would overall yield continued significant SCE gains as well as intense cold. I expect to see a significant jump once the data becomes available. With the continued cold til the end of the month, I doubt we see too much melting of new snow. We'll see.

I agree, Larry. There's no reason to worry about losing ground through the outage. It's likely that there will be even more smiles in the sce/sai #s once everything comes back online.

Imho- we're getting awful close to locking in a top 10 sce/sai October before the month even finishes

I'm not aware of any times GSO has been skunked, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened at some point.

I think there might have been a year in the mid-1990s where we only got a dusting of snow, though.  Even in the God awful winter of 2011-2012, we scored with the February 19th storm with 1.9".

I am surprised it is that high.  Interesting.  The average snowfall is around 2", correct?

I checked and it is actually ~80% with 0.1"+. ~40% have under 1", including traces. Yes, the average is 2".

To be official, there needs to be five trimonthly averages in a row of +0.5+. So, it could easily be March or even April before we're told that it has been made official retroactively back to autumn/winter. However, we'd have a good idea well before then.

Thanks Larry. I didn't know how many months we needed so that helps. Hoping things stay on track and we can look forward to a nice winter!

That appears on DT's Facebook. If DT's the source and if it's a copy & paste from him, credits then should be given, in my humble opinion.

DT stole it from das on the main board so DT should be giving das credit on his Facebook.  But it is really from this website....

http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/snow/HTML/snow.htm

DT stole it from das on the main board so DT should be giving das credit on his Facebook.  But it is really from this website....

http://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/smcd/emb/snow/HTML/snow.htm

Thanks - that answers that. Was just wondering should credit be given. Southern hospitality, if it's deserved .....

(Note - I clearly said "if" !!!!).

----------------------------------------

And I never used any word that equates with "stole" .......

Thanks - that answers that. Was just wondering should credit be given. Southern hospitality, if it's deserved .....

(Note - I clearly said "if" !!!!).

----------------------------------------

And I never used any word that equates with "stole" .......

All in good fun PCB!  Just making a joke lol.  DT is a funny character.  I do like the look of that snow cover though, maybe we can send some flakes your way this year!

Well Mike V. from WSI just dropped a bomb in the snow cover thread in the main forum. Lots of sphincter tightening going on from people that released winter forecasts....

Pack

Relax. I can tell you that, with all due respect to the great poster Mike, his graph doesn't at all seem correct.

Well Mike V. from WSI just dropped a bomb in the snow cover thread in the main forum. Lots of sphincter tightening going on from people that released winter forecasts....

Winter cancel   :sun:

Pack

Relax. I can tell you that, with all due respect to the great poster Mike, his graph doesn't at all seem correct.

Winter uncancel    :mapsnow:

LOL, yeah it was interesting to say the least. I don't get the whole snow cover thing anyways, why it's important just for October, I really just rely on Larry to give us a thumbs up or not.

I don't get it either. While snowcover is somewhat important, it's more than raw % you should look at. Depth means quite a lot, too. A large swath of 6" plus is going to have a much stronger impact than a huge swath of nothing more than a dusting to 1".

Archived