Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Snow Thread II

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.01” L.E.

Saturday 3/19/2011 7:00 A.M. update: As others in the thread have mentioned, here in Waterbury we were also surprised to find a fresh coating of snow outside this morning. I measured 0.3 inches of fluff, with flurries still coming down under partly cloudy skies.

Seasonal update: Currently, total snowfall for the ’10-’11 season here is running only a few inches behind the ’07-’08 season, however, at this point in ’07-’08 a 10.2-inch snowfall event was just starting up, so without a substantial event in the next couple of days, ’10-’11 is going to fall somewhat behind the ’07-’08 pace again for the time being. Thanks mostly to the big storm a couple weeks back, today’s event has pushed snowfall in this location past 30 inches for the month, with only 3 inches to go to pass the March ’08 total (33.3 inches).

It actually appears that there are a couple of potential snowfall events coming up this week, one Monday, and then another Wednesday-Thursday. Snow is in our point forecast in some form throughout those various forecast periods, but in their discussion, the NWS is not mentioning much in terms of accumulation down at this elevation.

Don’t forget, it’s the official Vermont Maple Open House Weekend, so try to support your local sugarhouse at one of the open house events. We’re planning to head to my cousin Steve’s operation in Barton for their open house. When he called me earlier in the week he said to make sure everyone brought snowshoes because the snowpack is pretty hefty as usual. I think we’re also going to bring Tele gear and do a tour as long as the snow softens up appropriately for turns. With last year’s low snowfall, touring around had a bit of a different feel because there was only a bit of snow left and it was like a spring hike. His snowpack is often much more substantial than ours though, so if things are typical up there the skiing could be nice. Checking my records, it looks like our 2008 visit was at the tail end of March and yielded some very nice turns.

Some details from the 7:00 A.M. observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 30.6 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy/Flurries

Snow at the stake: 20.5 inches

Scott would define this as "sneaky snow". One of the best kinds, imo.

The 4km NMM showed this 00z last night with the s/w moving through. I was actually up early hoping to see some flakes. Fail.

12z NAM is a little late on the redevelopment for me, but hits interior ME decently. Hopefully that s/w digs more through SNE.

Yeah no snow here. SHame really. Oh wait, I'm ready for spring. :arrowhead: Not trying to be a downer...

Unless they are forecasting a fun crazy storm with like 2 feet, I'm ready for warm air. I can get my snow fix in the mtns till May. Its time for leaves and grass. On that note, we lost a lot of snow yesterday...60 degrees seems to be that magical temp where snow just disappears quickly. We hit 64.

Had 0.4" of airy feathers, when melted came to about 0.005" LE, which (due to the still-wet bucket) goes down as 0.01, or 40:1 fluff, all sublimated now in low-30s breezes. Sizable change from yesterday's 58, though my snow depth only dropped 2

Sure sign of spring Thursday PM - 3 Canada geese at Belgrade Stream on Rt 27. Aldo Leopold wrote (Sand County Almanac): "A chipmunk,emerging for a sunbath but finding a blizzard, has only to go back to bed. But a migrating goose, staking two hundred miles of black night on the chance of finding a hole in the lake, has no easy chance for a retreat. His arrival carries the conviction of a prophet who has burned all his bridges." Fortunately for these geese, the current under the Rt 27 bridge allows early openings.

Sure sign of spring Thursday PM - 3 Canada geese at Belgrade Stream on Rt 27. Aldo Leopold wrote (Sand County Almanac): "A chipmunk,emerging for a sunbath but finding a blizzard, has only to go back to bed. But a migrating goose, staking two hundred miles of black night on the chance of finding a hole in the lake, has no easy chance for a retreat. His arrival carries the conviction of a prophet who has burned all his bridges." Fortunately for these geese, the current under the Rt 27 bridge allows early openings.

Very nice. Sand County Almanac is one of my favorites. And, speaking of geese, I meant to write earlier that I heard a few honking up above the clouds this morning.

I'm on a birding email list (I'm not a big birder but it's fun to hear what the real enthusiasts are seeing/hearing) and I read a couple reports of woodcocks being heard already, 40--50 miles south of here (Wethersfield & Hartland, VT). We usually have a couple that take up residence out in the fields near the house. I'll keep my ears peeled for the peenting. Seems a little early for here, what with a couple feet of snow still lying.... The areas of the reports though are both right along the CT River and likely have a fair bit of open areas, free of snow.

We had a dusting this morning in Stowe... didn't measure it but it wasn't more than a couple tenths. It was an attempt to whiten things up a bit, but not enough to successfully do so; it definitely looked like a spring dusting on top of some filthy snowpack. Nice to see some mood flakes and occasional flizzards as windy snow showers moved through.

Glad some of you got some nice 1"+ accumulation. Amazing that two weeks ago I wouldn't have even recognized 1" of snow but all the sudden I'm cherishing every flake.

Also saw some geese two days ago... the sound caught me off-guard; I guess its that time of the year again. Wagons north.

Looks like we've got a couple snow chances this week, so it'll be fun to see how it all shakes out.

Anyone with access... what did the 12z ECM show for NNE on Monday and Thursday?

Clear skies and the dew point is down to 13F (from around 40F yesterday)... if this light wind dies down (and I would assume it does when the sun finishes going down) I think we'll be able to go low tonight. BTV is calling for a low around 11F, which sounds like a pretty good guess.

I'm on a birding email list (I'm not a big birder but it's fun to hear what the real enthusiasts are seeing/hearing) and I read a couple reports of woodcocks being heard already, 40--50 miles south of here (Wethersfield & Hartland, VT). We usually have a couple that take up residence out in the fields near the house. I'll keep my ears peeled for the peenting. Seems a little early for here, what with a couple feet of snow still lying.... The areas of the reports though are both right along the CT River and likely have a fair bit of open areas, free of snow.

Some years ago I spotted a timberdoodle in a roadside ditch, doing those odd knee bends, in mid-March with 15"+ on the ground, and I wondered how he/she was going to reach the earthworms. Of course, they eat other stuff, too.

Noticed yesterday that my neighbor, 1/2 mile to the north, is feeding deer - keeps them away from my apple trees, though they browsed the ash branches from my firewood replenishment. Also saw where the wind-broken trees had taken down wires and one pole yest, about 2 miles north of MBY.

GFS shows an advisory level event for Mon/Mon night IMBY, though GYX is thinking 2-4" at this time. Maybe some more late week as the cold air comes in, nothing big, but white is still nice.

Nice shots, klw. Bee-autiful. Peacham is such a classic Vermont town.

The moonrise here on Friday evening was spectacular with purple & pink skies, very nice clouds formations and the moon coming right up over Mount Moosilauke (for us). The wife and I were out for an evening stroll up the field and of course I didn't have my camera with me....and I always have my camera with me!

12F for a low this morning, all snow & mud frozen solid. Now's the time to get out an drive on the dirt roads before they soften again later in the day.

Tamarack--never heard the term timberdoodle before for a woodcock. Such funny little birds and very much harbingers of the turn of the season.

Lots to ponder today in terms of the forecast for tomorrow. New SREFS are colder and juicier up here. May have to consider warnings for central/northern NH over to western maine.

Yeah they look very impressive for most of your interior zones... bullseye for you guys in the Lakes Region and Plymouth area.

f33.gif

Looks like 3-5" of snow for tomorrow. 2m temps should be plenty cold enough here in C NH, even in the valleys, so no real concerns there. Thu looks much better for NNE on the EC too. The EC ens increase the QPF chances as well. Enjoy the last hurrah everyone.

Lots to ponder today in terms of the forecast for tomorrow. New SREFS are colder and juicier up here. May have to consider warnings for central/northern NH over to western maine.

Just saw the SREFs...interesting. The NMM/ARW members keep the dryslot further south like the EC allowing for the precip to hang on as snow a little longer instead of changing to IP/ZL to finish. A lot of them are very juicy too for NNE. Tough call for advisory vs warning especially when you get up around 1P1/IZG.

Just saw the SREFs...interesting. The NMM/ARW members keep the dryslot further south like the EC allowing for the precip to hang on as snow a little longer instead of changing to IP/ZL to finish. A lot of them are very juicy too for NNE. Tough call for advisory vs warning especially when you get up around 1P1/IZG.

I got a very preliminary number of 5.8" for you.

Archived