• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Posting etiquette

BullCityWx

95% of everyone understands this is the usual delineation line between north and central GA, this winter and the last couple winters we've had some posters (who all seemed to live near Carrollton, a city WSW of Atlanta, just south of 20) who would continuously ask if there backyard was included in north GA. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

I lived in cowtown for 5 years...never really bothered to ponder whether it was in north georgia

Can I add one more that irks me (and I'm betting others)?

Please don't label a storm a big heaping stinkpile of FAIL just because it didn't plop the desired weather in your back yard. It might stink for you, but odds are its a dream come true for someone else.

It's normal to be disappointed if you miss out, but one of the things I've always liked around here was the heartfelt support for other folks in the South when they FINALLY get snow. I just see a big difference between being in a storm's screw zone and calling it a FAIL because you didn't get what you wanted.

Many thanks!

I hate when people rag on models when they don't show a solution they like. This mainly applies to the GFS, but people have even tossed out the Euro in certain situations. Every major model-the GFS, GGEM, Euro, NAM, UKMET-is worthy of consideration. Verification scores differ by a pretty small margin, there's no justification to completely throw out a model for being ever so slightly worse than another.

lol good post. I've seen some do this here more and more when it doesn't show a solution they like and it's been a bit annoying. Let's say it's the nam for example, I always get a kick out of people who will cream their pants over something it shows if it hammers their backyard but if it's too warm or it doesn't hit them, you instantly get proclamations that it sucks, it's "only the nam", etc, etc. Sure as the sun rises it's going to happen every time. Sometimes it is warranted but often times you see it simply because it doesn't show the most extreme solution or it doesn't hit their backyard hard. You would expect this from some but unfortunately there are some who should know better who do it too.

I have an etiquette pet peeve -- people who see a great model run and feel they have to make some reference to the release of body fluids -- usually from a male reproductive organ.

I know these references are figurative (or at least I pray they are, lest the true lack of a life of some posters be revealed) but they are still tired and unfunny and I would love to never read one again.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you want to know how to post, just see how I do it.

Although you're one of the more highly regarded SE posters, I don't think most here feel you've quite made it to to the level of rainstorm, an extremely highly regarded former poster. Regardless, you're getting close. Rainstorm would be very proud of your great progress. No matter what, you're still the beloved People's Weenie, a very honorable, respected, and important role for the SE BB.

If you want to know how to post, just see how I do it.

Just promise us you are not running for Weenie of the Year again. Hopefully the SE does not field a competitive candidate this year, defer the honor to our friends from the north. ;)

Back to the etiquette... Members who are hesitant to post because they feel like they may have little to add to the wx discussion, get your feet wet and break the ice in the banter thread. During periods of inactivity the rules are somewhat relaxed, however remember that things you would normally post on a sunny summer afternoon may not be the best thing to post when 1/2 the SE is under a WSW. And lastly, and probably most important, use the report button when you find something objectionable. Odds are others notice it too and if everyone chooses to not do anything, garbage can accumulate and muck up an otherwise active and great discussion quickly. :snowman:

Stolen from JamieO

Helpful hints to posting on AmericanWx this winter:

- Post like a Tourette's Syndrome victim on meth

- Be hyper-vigilant about 300+ hour threats

- Always err on the side of ridiculous when posting your snow obs

- Make devastating judgments about the quality of your winter based on one model run losing a storm

- Never relax during a storm - dry slots can happen at any time

- Never go outside during a snowstorm because you'll miss the latest radar update

- A missed storm can be the worst thing that has ever happened in your life. Be sure to share those thoughts in your region's subforum.

- If your region misses a storm, take it out on the subforum of the region that's getting the storm

- Share every single forecast/idea you have, in great detail - what do those red taggers have over you other than experience and expertise?

- The pro-snow mets are like a big brother who always gets you presents and tells you you're awesome all the time

- The anti-snow mets are like a big brother who tries to push you down the basement steps and calls you mean names

- Forky is like a big brother who sets your pet hamster on fire right in front of you

- Smart, reasonable people = Big meanies and are your enemy

- If the staff five-posts you or bans you, never forget there are hundreds of online forums where you can bash AmericanWx

- Never forget that stuff like family, pets, significant others, girlfriends/boyfriends, work, life, etc. all take a back seat to frozen water crystals falling out of the sky

Just promise us you are not running for Weenie of the Year again. Hopefully the SE does not field a competitive candidate this year, defer the honor to our friends from the north. ;)

I'm going to run for the Weenie of the Year award this Winter. I think I could place at least 2nd, if not win the competition. :weight_lift:

• 3 weeks later...

Stolen from JamieO

Helpful hints to posting on AmericanWx this winter:

- Post like a Tourette's Syndrome victim on meth

- Be hyper-vigilant about 300+ hour threats

- Always err on the side of ridiculous when posting your snow obs

- Make devastating judgments about the quality of your winter based on one model run losing a storm

- Never relax during a storm - dry slots can happen at any time

- Never go outside during a snowstorm because you'll miss the latest radar update

- A missed storm can be the worst thing that has ever happened in your life. Be sure to share those thoughts in your region's subforum.

- If your region misses a storm, take it out on the subforum of the region that's getting the storm

- Share every single forecast/idea you have, in great detail - what do those red taggers have over you other than experience and expertise?

- The pro-snow mets are like a big brother who always gets you presents and tells you you're awesome all the time

- The anti-snow mets are like a big brother who tries to push you down the basement steps and calls you mean names

- Forky is like a big brother who sets your pet hamster on fire right in front of you

- Smart, reasonable people = Big meanies and are your enemy

- If the staff five-posts you or bans you, never forget there are hundreds of online forums where you can bash AmericanWx

- Never forget that stuff like family, pets, significant others, girlfriends/boyfriends, work, life, etc. all take a back seat to frozen water crystals falling out of the sky

Just wanted to let you know that this made my evening...after spending the last 3 days baking, cleaning, baking, cleaning, and cleaning and baking...I needed this well deserved laugh!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am pinning this thread again as we head into the home stretch of what was a train-wreck & subsequent hazmat spill kind on winter. Most are already aware of the posting etiquette, however, some may be new and others may have forgot. I understand the absence of winter weather can be taxing, our SE sub forum is no exception in the hair-pulling/bickering/etc, I assure you it is happening all over. However, the time has come to start clamping down, so consider this a warning.

These are some posts from the med-long range thread just from the last few days. Many were reported by our members and deleted, and others were just deleted by staff without a report. This is an example(s) of what not to post in the weather threads, and for the sake of transparency, these were the entire posts, not just an excerpt of what someone wrote. I already have a short list of repeat offenders and if we have another report/have to delete another post they make, pm will be coming after the timeout/limited posting tag is on. Even if you do not think this applies to you, please take a moment to refresh over QC's post top of page 1. We will be dishing out timeouts and limited posting privileges first, answering questions later, warning giveth. Thank you

sleep lol
You guys have got to get out and live a little and stop following every little model run likes it's word is bond. You will get your shots at winter weather and life will go on.
12z Blows !!
looking on to spring now...worst winter I can EVER remember...
I remember it well.
+1
Are you Widre incognito?
Lol same people that were sticking forks in winter after 12z are now trying like hell to pull their forks out....flip flop flip flop
Maybe we'll get enough snow to cover all the bodies at the bottom of the cliff
waiting on cheez to show up and tell us how crappy the run was...... just kidding at least he is honest....brutally
I'm in!

This one is just an excerpt. Any political speech wx-side is a big no-no, violation of board rules. Take it to OT/PR, next time I see/here about it, the person is out for an extended forecast.

"do not act like a Republican"

http://www.americanw...tion=boardrules