joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Beat Goes On - JAN 21 Threat

PhineasC

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way to successfully deal with the DCA Winter of 2010-2011 is to keep your expectations low.

1) Forget that last winter ever happened.

2) Always look forward to a half inch of snow.

3) When you get your half inch of snow, shovel it up and pile it on the north side of your home.

Once again the Filthadelphia/NYC weenies are celebrating their victory for Fri's storm. Henry's AccuWx snow map made me throw something at my monitor. Not saying it's his fault just that mother nature is a nasty and evil witch. Note the cute blue bump AROUND us.

590x443_01191607_severe1.png

Henry M is a laughing stock. I highly doubt that NYC gets 6"+ from this, based on the most recent models.

One interesting thing about this event, looking at the ensemble members from 18z yesterday, the good ones then have transitioned to the bad ones at 12z, and vice versa.

I'll be interested to see how this plays out over the next 24 hours wrt to modeling.

i would not focus on any indiv member much from run to run.. the changes are probably meaningless

i would not focus on any indiv member much from run to run.. the changes are probably meaningless

I'm not focused on them, I just found it interesting that they all (just about) went the other way from what they were. Wonder why the GFS and NAM were trending in our favor and then just like that they switched? New data? Reminds me a little of what the models did to us last Jan 30. Wonder if they might come back to us as we get closer.

Jeez....How can we have such disparity in models at 36-48 hours out..I dont care if professionals want to bash me for it or not, but the models really do stick this year

is it really that far off? NAM is the only model with over .2 for BWI, avg of the GFS, RGEM, UKMET is about .18 or so... so yea the euro is north of those and low on precip but is it really a stretch its only about 50 miles north of the others? I have my map out there, but if you asked me what im more likely to bust, I would say high and south of the PA border gets nothing. I would be shocked if I busted low.

I have NO idea why people are bothering with Euro QPF in the short range given the recent past... A GFS/NAM weighted blend of sorts does much better.

Maybe in the recent past it has sucked...and Im not saying Im buying it either..But I thought I heard Wes say its usually #1 or #2 in verifying QPF inside 48 hours....maybe im wrong on that..But yeah Id go with a blend of GFS/NAM myself

is it really that far off? NAM is the only model with over .2 for BWI, avg of the GFS, RGEM, UKMET is about .18 or so... so yea the euro is north of those and low on precip but is it really a stretch its only about 50 miles north of the others? I have my map out there, but if you asked me what im more likely to bust, I would say high and south of the PA border gets nothing. I would be shocked if I busted low.

Idk. .03 and .15-25 is a big difference inside 48 hours to me...

Archived