joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Beat Goes On - JAN 21 Threat

PhineasC

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for a new thread. Peace be with you all.

In the other thread, you said

This all seems like it will be quite similar to the Jan 11/12 event, except CT won't get 30 inches. Should be similar enough down here. ]

Probably. Another similarity to the Jan 11/12 is you have people bitching before hand about their "pathetic 2-3" and how they "don't care and want a real storm." Then, when the radar returns are over their house, we'll get the "wow!! great band!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I guess I was wrong!" despite the fact that the forecast would still be on track :whistle:

I was saying 3-5" yesterday, but certainly the trend in the models is to reduce QPF as the vort max moves inexorably northward in the progs. Still, I think 2-4" is good right now, with the gradient SW to NE (lowest amounts in the western DC burbs, highest up in Harford and Cecil counties AGAIN). If I was making a public forecast for the area I would probably say 2-4" if I was in Baltimore and 1-3" in DC.

I was saying 3-5" yesterday, but certainly the trend in the models is to reduce QPF as the vort max moves inexorably northward in the progs. Still, I think 2-4" is good right now, with the gradient SW to NE (lowest amounts in the western DC burbs, highest up in Harford and Cecil counties AGAIN). If I was making a public forecast for the area I would probably say 2-4" if I was in Baltimore and 1-3" in DC.

probably meaningless but the NAM gives the west burbs more qpf than DCA

I like this line of thinking. 1 to 3 is a good bet around here....2 to 4 for Phin and co.

i was thinking 1-3 S/2-4 NE prior but that's going to be tough to come by i think. the vort max is less intense than last week and the models are already doing their shift the qpf northeast thing. we have enough time probably for the euro to be right still. these storms kinda suck.

i was thinking 1-3 S/2-4 NE prior but that's going to be tough to come by i think. the vort max is less intense than last week and the models are already doing their shift the qpf northeast thing. we have enough time probably for the euro to be right still. these storms kinda suck.

With such small amounts it is so hard to call it a storm.

A little disturbance maybe.

The trend in the models for all the "storms" this year seems to be this:

Days 3-7: Look really good...possible WSW type snows. Certainly high WWA level snows.

Day 1-3: Crap the bed. QPF levels cut by factor of 2 or more. Begging for 1" of snow.

Last 18-24hrs: Bring things back just a little.

The trend in the models for all the "storms" this year seems to be this:

Days 3-7: Look really good...possible WSW type snows. Certainly high WWA level snows.

Day 1-3: Crap the bed. QPF levels cut by factor of 2 or more. Begging for 1" of snow.

Last 18-24hrs: Bring things back just a little.

Interesting. Which means the PSUHoffman storm will shortly be entering the Day 1-3 Zone.

Archived