12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Beat Goes On - JAN 21 Threat

PhineasC

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok instead of just crying about why the snow is gone on the NAM, here is the biggest reason why. Earlier runs of the NAM phased the southern energy into the northern jet and thus a more amped and significant storm. I had a feeling this was BS as the seasonal trend was for the northern jet to squash or leave behind the stj until off the east coast. It also has been for the northern jet to dig less then modeled. This is exactly what has happened. The northern jet leaves the southern energy behind and splits. No phase, no storm.

post-2304-0-44668600-1295490575.gif

This is the 6z NAM from this morning. Its not as amped as previous runs but its the last run that had a significant storm.

post-2304-0-30956300-1295490588.gif

At the same time, I think the NAM may have gone too far. SREF still looked good for 1-3" and this is just one run, and a model that tends to have screwy runs from time to time. Lets wait for the RGEM and GFS before jumping ship completely on 1-3. If RGEM and GFS come in dry like this...then yea its over.

At the same time, I think the NAM may have gone too far. SREF still looked good for 1-3" and this is just one run, and a model that tends to have screwy runs from time to time. Lets wait for the RGEM and GFS before jumping ship completely on 1-3. If RGEM and GFS come in dry like this...then yea its over.

I hear ya', but you know things are tough when you're praying the NAM was too dry

come to think of it, looking at the RSM, that explains why the SREF's are so much higher than the NAM

I hear ya', but you know things are tough when you're praying the NAM was too dry

its not that I think its too dry, it might have totally crapped the bed on something though. NAM has really screwy runs sometimes even at short lead times. Not sure why, if it has to do with its high resolution and having small hiccups throw it off but it does sometimes. Remember how with the December HECS last winter it had one run around 48 hours out that gave NW of DC like 45" of snow. Then a few runs later is shifted everything south on one of its 6z runs and my area up here was almost completely dry. Then 12z brought it right back north. Its has been known to have bad runs. THis was definitely a bad sign but its just one model from the 0z suite. Let everything come in and the full package play out before we overreact. Thats all.

its not that I think its too dry, it might have totally crapped the bed on something though. NAM has really screwy runs sometimes even at short lead times. Not sure why, if it has to do with its high resolution and having small hiccups throw it off but it does sometimes. Remember how with the December HECS last winter it had one run around 48 hours out that gave NW of DC like 45" of snow. Then a few runs later is shifted everything south on one of its 6z runs and my area up here was almost completely dry. Then 12z brought it right back north. Its has been known to have bad runs. THis was definitely a bad sign but its just one model from the 0z suite. Let everything come in and the full package play out before we overreact. Thats all.

again, I hear ya', but my one word for consideration...Euro

Euro's been showing that for a couple days which is another reason why I fear its .03" for tomorrow night at BWI

Yes, you are right, the NAM has become a carbon copy of the Euro. Of course 3 days ago the Euro had that storm hitting us with a HECS. Thats the DT NADS storm. So the euro was right about this storm missing us, but was wrong about the next storm hitting us. Wonderful...

Perhaps someone that has better knowledge of the programming and tendencies of these models can help out but I took a peak at the individual members of the SREF. Very interesting.

All 6 runs of the ETA members look identical to the 0z NAM if not worse.

All the rest of the runs, all the runs of the RSM, ARW, and NMM are wetter and have about .2 for DC and .3 for BWI in most cases.

perhaps someone knows more about these models to give us a clue as to what is going on there. What the RSM, ARW, and NMM runs are seeing that the ETA and NAM is not. Its not a big difference just I am curious and always looking to learn.

post-2304-0-97155000-1295493171.gif

Perhaps someone that has better knowledge of the programming and tendencies of these models can help out but I took a peak at the individual members of the SREF. Very interesting.

All 6 runs of the ETA members look identical to the 0z NAM if not worse.

All the rest of the runs, all the runs of the RSM, ARW, and NMM are wetter and have about .2 for DC and .3 for BWI in most cases.

perhaps someone knows more about these models to give us a clue as to what is going on there. What the RSM, ARW, and NMM runs are seeing that the ETA and NAM is not. Its not a big difference just I am curious and always looking to learn.

post-2304-0-97155000-1295493171.gif

lol, I just posted similar to yours.

Mitch, you were correct about the srefs. The rgm members are the best, but all of them look better than 15z did. All except one. ETA 3 is awful. Any tie to the NAM there?

I just posted all of the SREF above, actually all the ETA members are bad, some worse then the NAM some slightly better, but its clear whatever bad mojo the NAM ingested got into the ETA also. The real question is, are the ETA/NAM seeing something the other cant and if so why? Is there something about the dynamics of the models? Or is this an indication they are out to lunch. I do not know enough about the SREF members individual bias to say.

I just posted all of the SREF above, actually all the ETA members are bad, some worse then the NAM some slightly better, but its clear whatever bad mojo the NAM ingested got into the ETA also. The real question is, are the ETA/NAM seeing something the other cant and if so why? Is there something about the dynamics of the models? Or is this an indication they are out to lunch. I do not know enough about the SREF members individual bias to say.

The consequence of the 0Z NAM run does not just affect us. In the even shorter term, those areas that have WSWarnings out now in southern IN and northern KY are locked out by the 0Z NAM.

With regard to the ETA members, 4 showed improvement over 15z, 1 stayed the same, and the one just got even worse and it was already bad.

The consequence of the 0Z NAM run does not just affect us. In the even shorter term, those areas that have WSWarnings out now in southern IN and northern KY are locked out by the 0Z NAM.

Looking at radar and NAM simulated radar and precip, I will say the NAM is not doing all that great with what is actually happening right now so far.

Archived