e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Friday, January 21st Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That we will. :snowman: Enjoy it, it's the only snow we've got.

I'd only care for Harvey and Matt these days. Can't watch them though due to DirecTV. All the rest that I cared for have retired.

I have Directv and get channel 5. Also I have Comcast HSI so I can watch necn as comcast hsi has basic cable with it which they dont tell people about and is a little known fact.

Aren't the Boston TV mets considered some of the best in the field?

In the hey day of tv news during the 1980s...absolutely. But the local tv affiliates don't generate the kinds of revenue they used to before the internet exploded and therefore the network affilates don't have the cash, or I guess the brains to spend money on top talent. Case in point...Todd Gross....who for some inexplicable reason this market won't rehire!! Who'd you rather have a skinny, attractive young person whose presentation is generic who pales in comparsion...or Todd? I can't believe I have to ask this question to the network execs in this area who aren't capable of answering it. Sadly the trend in this business is to dump excellent Mets like Todd in favor of these generic types with absolutey no personality.

I, and a lot of viewers would probably get more enjoyment watching Ray and Kevin than all these young forecasters who are getting paid at Filenes Basement prices.

That we will. :snowman: Enjoy it, it's the only snow we've got.

I'd only care for Harvey and Matt these days. Can't watch them though due to DirecTV. All the rest that I cared for have retired.

Agreed. The NH guys up here actually put out some very good forecasts as well, but none of you get to see them.

Hoping for a few inches on Friday, but looking out the window and seeing the snow fall right now, I can't help but feel satisfied. If it whiffs, whatever.

In the hey day of tv news during the 1980s...absolutely. But the local tv affiliates don't generate the kinds of revenue they used to before the internet exploded and therefore the network affilates don't have the cash, or I guess the brains to spend money on top talent. Case in point...Todd Gross....who for some inexplicable reason this market won't rehire!! Who'd you rather have a skinny, attractive young person whose presentation is generic who pales in comparsion...or Todd? I can't believe I have to ask this question to the network execs in this area who aren't capable of answering it. Sadly the trend in this business is to dump excellent Mets like Todd in favor of these generic types with absolutey no personality.

I, and a lot of viewers would probably get more enjoyment watching Ray and Kevin than all these young forecasters who are getting paid at Filenes Basement prices.

Yeah since I don't get the Bos tv stations...I am only going by what I read on here and what everyone says. Overall it seems many of the BOS mets are very good and well respected. I do get NECN and I think Noyes is fanatastic. Will went to school with him and they are good friends..so I know he respects Matt a great deal.

If the Bos mets are calling for 5-10 or 6-12..that to me says I'm thinking along the right lines

Yeah since I don't get the Bos tv stations...I am only going by what I read on here and what everyone says. Overall it seems many of the BOS mets are very good and well respected. I do get NECN and I think Noyes is fanatastic. Will went to school with him and they are good friends..so I know he respects Matt a great deal.

If the Bos mets are calling for 5-10 or 6-12..tha to me says I'm thinking along the right lines

Lol...I wouldn't go that far, I don't know him THAT well. But he is def a good met.

I don't think I would forecast 6-12 though right now. I could see some 6"+ amounts if this goes right. We need to have the vortmax track south of us to see more than 3-6"...and the recent guidance is starting to slip away from that idea.

Lol...I wouldn't go that far, I don't know him THAT well. But he is def a good met.

I don't think I would forecast 6-12 though right now. I could see some 6"+ amounts if this goes right. We need to have the vortmax track south of us to see more than 3-6"...and the recent guidance is starting to slip away from that idea.

I remember you telling me the story about when he pulled you into the wx lab and sat down with you and gave you the down and dirty on all the models and how to really utilize them

I remember you telling me the story about when he pulled you into the wx lab and sat down with you and gave you the down and dirty on all the models and how to really utilize them

Yeah I was a freshman...he was a senior. It was when I first saw that there were more than like 2 models, lol.

Our ALB (ENY/Berkshires/S. VT market) has an embarassment of riches when it comes to Met talent. Four networks and 12 met's between them... Also the Time Warner cable channel has several on staff mets including Mark Mancuso formerly of TWC. For a tv market or maybe 1.5 million people it is impressive.

I don't blame you... I just think there are going to be some surprises with this one..and if folks are sticking their weenies into every model run they won't see it.

people thought I was crazy when I said 20-30 inches would happen in the snow bomb last week. That's fine. let's just wait and see

You busted low.

Our ALB (ENY/Berkshires/S. VT market) has an embarassment of riches when it comes to Met talent. Four networks and 12 met's between them... Also the Time Warner cable channel has several on staff mets including Mark Mancuso formerly of TWC. For a tv market or maybe 1.5 million people it is impressive.

What shift is Mancuso working? Didn't he land at Accuweather when he left TWC? I can't believe Bill Keneely isn't working right now. Not to belabor the point but TWC is as guilty as the local network affiliates by getting rid of established veterans in favor of good looking young people who are basically useless when it comes to coherently forecasting the weather.

I have Directv and get channel 5. Also I have Comcast HSI so I can watch necn as comcast hsi has basic cable with it which they dont tell people about and is a little known fact.

I know this is off topic... but I have DirecTV and Comcast high speed... how can I get the cable?!

Here is what one of the stations here in PVD is reporting. The white area shows even less.

2lxbb6d.jpg

Hes the newer guy, not the best at the station, Gary Ley is better than him, nobody compares to John Giorski (retired) for RI that is., butchering his last name

If the Bos mets are calling for 5-10 or 6-12..that to me says I'm thinking along the right lines

There wasn't any Boston met mentioning those totals this evening. Harvey is the best left. I also like Matt Noyes, Barry Burbank and Tim Kelly.

JC isn't bad either. The market has taken a HUGE hit in talent the last few years. It seems to be all about another type of talent....

I do miss Mish Michaels! The best source of weather forecasts for me now is reading this board!

There wasn't any Boston met mentioning those totals this evening. Harvey is the best left. I also like Matt Noyes, Barry Burbank and Tim Kelly.

JC isn't bad either. The market has taken a HUGE hit in talent the last few years. It seems to be all about another type of talent....

I do miss Mish Michaels! The best source of weather forecasts for me now is reading this board!

The maps posted had 4-8 and 5-10 and someone said something about 6-12 on 1 station I thought

Hes the newer guy, not the best at the station, Gary Ley is better than him, nobody compares to John Giorski (retired) for RI that is., butchering his last name

Gary Ley is better than him in terms of being a better overall broadcaster personality and sense of humor wise. But Mark Searles is a solid Met, probably more accurate than Gary, and even though he's been at Channel 10 for 2 years he's been in PVD since 1996. Gary was bought out a couple years ago because of the soft economy, but WJAR wisely, although slowly realized the error of their ways and now he's doing the morning and mid-day shifts despite the fact he never should have been let go in the first place.

Ahh I got the name wrong... The former TWC guy here is Mike Buono who is the chief met on TW's YNN regional network. He works weekdays. I'm not sure if he also appears on the other YNN's that TW has throughout Upstate NY TV markets.

What shift is Mancuso working? Didn't he land at Accuweather when he left TWC? I can't believe Bill Keneely isn't working right now. Not to belabor the point but TWC is as guilty as the local network affiliates by getting rid of established veterans in favor of good looking young people who are basically useless when it comes to coherently forecasting the weather.

Gary Ley is better than him in terms of being a better overall broadcaster personality and sense of humor wise. But Mark Searles is a solid Met, probably more accurate than Gary, and even though he's been at Channel 10 for 2 years he's been in PVD since 1996. Gary was bought out a couple years ago because of the soft economy, but WJAR wisely, although slowly realized the error of their ways and now he's doing the morning and mid-day shifts despite the fact he never should have been let go in the first place.

didn't know the whole story on that good info, I guess I havn't given mark his due credit yet. Can we agree on John tho? better than Art Lake. Who do you side with 10 or 12, I know a lotta weather nuts that hate Patrca

Id rather watch the skinny attractive women on TV and get the weather from Will and the other mets and posters here.

Looked at WCVBs latest map, looks like if you drew a line south west to east under boston 3-7 and 2-5 above the line. Seems very reasonable, better than the 5-10 earlier in the day, comes in line with Taunton's thinking at the moment. Seems like the consensus as far as TV Mets 3-7 region wide is a safe bet. Not a bad way to start the brutal cold, lotta icing for tomorrow's commute, with some powder for Friday. yea get AAA on your speed dial.

Archived