Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Friday, January 21st Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whose looking at the QPF depiction. I've been paying attention to the 500 maps. The trend has not been your friend for a 6-12" widespread SNE snow event. The 1z NAM, once again, has the rogue s/w out ahead of the main trough that jack things up.

What model do you actually like these days? It seems like you've trashed them all, the Euro included.

Its hard to go against the gfs euro tandem. The nam should be tossed on this next system for right now same with the Srefs but absolutely nothing supports a 6-12 and not one meteorologist aside of Joe L is apparently saying anything different and that was just to Kev privately.

Things could change but not even the jma is a big hit.

Whose looking at the QPF depiction. I've been paying attention to the 500 maps. The trend has not been your friend for a 6-12" widespread SNE snow event. The 18z NAM, once again, has the rogue s/w out ahead of the main trough that jack things up.

What model do you actually like these days? It seems like you've trashed them all, the Euro included.

Which ever one gives you the most snow

Its hard to go against the gfs euro tandem. The nam should be tossed on this next system for right now same with the Srefs but absolutely nothing supports a 6-12 and not one meteorologist aside of Joe L is apparently saying anything different and that was just to Kev privately.

Things could change but not even the jma is a big hit.

No argument there Scott.

I did..It nailed that 110%..since then it's been abysmal. Models are graded after an event ..not before young man

Good!!:bike:

So its still 6-12 for everyone!!!?

Artic front, high ratios, little wave traveling up it squeezing ever possible drop of moisture out of the atmosphere...........it could happen

When it goes to schools closing due to weather why does everyone always say, "Have fun going to school into July"...schools can only go for so long, they aren't aloud to go past a certain date b/c then you run into issues with summer school and other things.

I think it's just an exaggeration Paul. But places like Naugatuck are going to be going to school well into June as it is right now. Never mind the fact that they'll probably have several more snow days.

Good!!:bike:

So its still 6-12 for everyone!!!?

Artic front, high ratios, little wave traveling up it squeezing ever possible drop of moisture out of the atmosphere...........it could happen

As of now nothing I see takes 6-12 off the table..if i revise down it will be after 12z runs tomorrow..otherwise stay the course

When it goes to schools closing due to weather why does everyone always say, "Have fun going to school into July"...schools can only go for so long, they aren't aloud to go past a certain date b/c then you run into issues with summer school and other things.

Last year here in sw ct after the wind storm, schools in Fairfield cty were closed for a week, on top of what happened over the winter. Greenwich was in school until the last day of June..............but yes it was in jest, we would need another 7 snow days for that to happen!!

well no one should be cliff diving off based on the SREFS and 18z NAM. Clearly low-end solutions with regards to rest of guidance. If other models catch on to the idea by 0z, then it may be time to be concerned.

well.... right now is the time to be concerned. since models have been trending less qpf /snow for last day .

should others models catch on ...to 18z nam at 0z .....then it's off to cliff jumping. at least i'll land in 17 inches of snow.

The whole July 1st limit is usually due to fiscal years and budgets since a lot of fiscal years end on June 30. Anyways, a lot of CT schools plan to end in the first two weeks of June, so it would take a helluva winter to blow through the remaining two weeks in snow days. Plus most schools will start taking vacation days before it gets to that point.

well.... right now is the time to be concerned. since models have been trending less qpf /snow for last day .

should others models catch on ...to 18z nam at 0z .....then it's off to cliff jumping. at least i'll land in 17 inches of snow.

Suicide was so 2010.

Will brought that up this morning. I'd kill for that. I got a foot.

I mentioned earlier, that band running from sw-ne well to the north of the low, because that might over perform for someone. I think the 12/29/93 storm had that. It's something to watch, but not a guarantee. I don't think models will completely show this right now.

I mentioned earlier, that band running from sw-ne well to the north of the low, because that might over perform for someone. I think the 12/29/93 storm had that. It's something to watch, but not a guarantee. I don't think models will completely show this right now.

This is what i am trying to teach Bobby...Look past the models...look where the -8c isotherm is for bigger snows

I think it's just an exaggeration Paul. But places like Naugatuck are going to be going to school well into June as it is right now. Never mind the fact that they'll probably have several more snow days.

Last year here in sw ct after the wind storm, schools in Fairfield cty were closed for a week, on top of what happened over the winter. Greenwich was in school until the last day of June..............but yes it was in jest, we would need another 7 snow days for that to happen!!

A week from the wind storm? Must have been some sick damage...wow.

The whole July 1st limit is usually due to fiscal years and budgets since a lot of fiscal years end on June 30. Anyways, a lot of CT schools plan to end in the first two weeks of June, so it would take a helluva winter to blow through the remaining two weeks in snow days. Plus most schools will start taking vacation days before it gets to that point.

I was just going to bring that up, although I'm not sure how that is done...not sure if they can just take away from the mid winter or spring week long breaks that alot of schools have...then you run into issues with families who have scheduled vacations and teachers and such.

I'm pretty sure they have a plan though or at least they should.

I don't think anything other than the NAM consistently showed this as a 6"+ event. So if that's your expectation, time to be concerned. If you're in the 2-4/3-6" camp like most rational people here, then there's nothing to be concerned about yet.

But I have trouble going for heavy accumulations right now.

I don't blame you... I just think there are going to be some surprises with this one..and if folks are sticking their weenies into every model run they won't see it.

people thought I was crazy when I said 20-30 inches would happen in the snow bomb last week. That's fine. let's just wait and see

Closing off at least at 850mb would be a big first step :lol:

The forecast was butchered in NYC...the NWS dropped all headlines, I got home at 3pm and saw a massive shield of snow in southern Jersey headed due north and knew we were gonna see something decent...the advisories didnt go back up til people started reporting 3 inches of snow by 8pm.

I don't think anything other than the NAM consistently showed this as a 6"+ event. So if that's your expectation, time to be concerned. If you're in the 2-4/3-6" camp like most rational people here, then there's nothing to be concerned about yet.

well last nite's 0z gfs was a lot more than 2-4....looked like at least 5-10. but i was in the 4-8 camp.....early pm i moved without emotionally difficulty lol to the 3-6 camp. i don't want to move anymore.....but i will lol.

Archived