• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Psuhoffman Storm

Ji

this was a great run and now play into the GFS bias, a blend of the Euro/GGEM and GFS camps would work out really well now.

Do you find this type of run to run variance troubling? We are getting fairly close to the event and there is a good bit of divergence on what is happening @ H5. If this really does end up being a Miller A system then the models should start to build on some consensus.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I looking at the right maps? Temps don't seem any warmer than I'd expect with a monster low heading up the coast. Yeah, coastal and southern sections will mix.

I may be looking at this wrong, but if that low was close enough to give heavy precip (say the "blues") to say DC, IF that rn/sn line moved west with it it would be rain for many. Again, just according to this GFS run at 102

Do you find this type of run to run variance troubling? We are getting fairly close to the event and there is a good bit of divergence on what is happening @ H5. If this really does end up being a Miller A system then the models should start to build on some consensus.

Troubling in what sense? The run to run variance is indicative of the huge error growth (ensembles anyone?) associated with this type of development, and associated extreme sensitivity to small perturbations in the initial conditions. There isn't always a magical lead time where something becomes "finitely" predictable...each event has its own unique set of issues/characteristics.

What's concerning is it seems like if the coastal did move closer it would be rain for many....since even the precip on the coast light as it is is falling as rain at 102

yes and no, a west track would also come with a more amplified system and more dynamics involved in the CCB. This would create a colder profile to the west of the low track.

Troubling in what sense? The run to run variance is indicative of the huge error growth (ensembles anyone?) associated with this type of development, and associated extreme sensitivity to small perturbations in the initial conditions. There isn't always a magical lead time where something becomes "finitely" predictable...each event has its own unique set of issues/characteristics.

That's a really good point. Are you saying based on the information fed into the 12Z GFS run at 12 1/22, the solution shown is possibly viable? Obviously realizing there are other models and factors involved

yes and no, a west track would also come with a more amplified system and more dynamics involved in the CCB. This would create a colder profile to the west of the low track.

Exactly, a more westward track would imply many different things in terms of development....you simply can't translate everything associated (temps/qpf) with the storm linearly westward.

Exactly, a more westward track would imply many different things in terms of development....you simply can't translate everything associated (temps/qpf) with the storm linearly westward.

This should be added to a list of "tips for weenies" because I have a feeling many do just that, shift a storm west/east and impose the exact same profile to the storm without realizing that the move west or east would be in response to a different development process to the storm and the dynamics would be different.

This has been the worst bit of model analysis I have ever seen.

Not blowing smoke Phin, but I think you are one of the most level headed non met poster we have here. What is encouraging to you about this run? My stated concern is it seems like we could be dealing w a situation that's either kinda warm with little precip (like this run showed) or too warm with a lot of precip Is this crazy to think this way? I sincerely want to know

Touble in the sense of feeling confident in making a forecast based on the data available. We are only 3-4 days away now.

I totally understand how difficult it is for ANY model to nail a complicated system. I was directing my post to psuhoffman because ufortunately for him, he will be responsible for any bad outcome of this strom. ;)

Just reading through here...would it be possible to have a met explain what is going on as far as temp concerns? I know that a couple were talking about it last night in the Philly thread about even with a good track this could still be rain for their area...could a met explain why?

Not a met, but to my understanding the real problem is that we don't have strong blocking to keep the high pressure that will be across New England on Sunday/Monday in place for the storm.

You probably won't have many problems in Pittsburgh, and the track would have to come very far inland for you to be worried about temps.

That's a really good point. Are you saying based on the information fed into the 12Z GFS run at 12 1/22, the solution shown is possibly viable? Obviously realizing there are other models and factors involved

Possible? Sure....(most of) the operational global models are good enough nowadays that you need to take all of their guidance seriously within the 3-5 day period (in terms of synoptic scale development). You still shouldn't take NWP output verbatim, however....it's only guidance (and subject to approximations, parameterizations, finite differencing of actual equations, etc.).

Not blowing smoke Phin, but I think you are one of the most level headed non met poster we have here. What is encouraging to you about this run? My stated concern is it seems like we could be dealing w a situation that's either kinda warm with little precip (like this run showed) or too warm with a lot of precip Is this crazy to think this way? I sincerely want to know

As others have said, the mechanism that would bring this closer to the coast would probably change the temp profiles. It might look warm because we have no precip. Look what happens in SNE. It is warm but then temps crash as the heavy precip rolls in. The models can pick that up to an extent.

Archived